PRS SE 7 -What kind of interest?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Riffer, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Something like the Akerfeldt sig minus the tacky logo would be cool.

2. MSalonen

MSalonen SS.org Regular

I personally would love something just like the Torerro, and think that it would sell the best. Doublecut in general I imagine would be received much better.

As far as my own personal preferences though, I don't really care about the scale length as long as it's between 25" and 27". Don't like EMGs but it's not a deal breaker. Bird inlays or none. Ebony fretboard preferred. Same with a Wide Thin neck shape. Neckthru or Setneck doesn't really matter to me. 24 frets. Either FR trem or hardtail is fine.

3. cyril v

cyril v Contributor

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

4. Malacoda

Malacoda Fogdiver

^ God DAMN his picking is efficient.

5. IDLE

IDLE SS.org Regular

There seems to be a split between people who want a classic PRS style 7 and a more modern metal PRS.

Seems like the classic people are more numerous, but it really wouldn't be bad if they did both given the interest in this thread.

Personally I want the classic style PRS but I would buy any kind of 7 string they made.

6. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I'd rather have it be set neck and 25" scale.

7. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

This. Singlecut or doublecut, but it seems like a LOT of folks loved the specs on his guitar (it's 24 fret too so that will please some of the other folks claiming they wouldn't buy it with 22) but not the "O" logo on the body. :shrug:

:agreed: If this guitar ever happens, they should keep it at close to PRS spec as the rest of the SE line. :2c:

Also something to think about.... there are 7-string buyers/owners outside of this board too, so making the specs all specific to what each person's idea of the "perfect custom SE 7" would be silly. The way they build SE models currently seems to be selling well, no need to majorly change the formula to please 1 or 2 people over the vast majority. Take what they have now and add a string, some of you are over-thinking this way too much and asking for more than anyone should for a $700-ish guitar. :wavey:

8. walleye

walleye SS.org Regular

i know that
    honestly im not holding much hope with the 22 fret wish, but i do see it as a possibility.

i know im just one customer and not that important in the scheme of things, but if it was 22 frets i'd set aside the musicman JPX7 as my next guitar and hold out for this one.. provided the other specs didnt ruin it.. but they probably wouldnt; im easy going.

9. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

:agreed: but 25.5" isn't a turn off either and might help sell more :shrug: I'm really not keen on a neck thru

I agree although it is worth keeping in mind that both here and MG a lot of people seem to want the Mike Mushok bridge or a trem over the regular PRS hard tail. It's also worth keeping in mind that there isn't a set of standard SE specs. Some have maple necks, some mahogany, some have ebony fretboards some have rosewood.

The Mushok, Singlecut, Singlecut Trem and Torero are all SE models, I don't think it is too much for someone to say I love all the specs from x model except for the bridge, if you built x with bridge from y it would be awesome.

10. El Caco

FWIW I would buy a guitar with the Opeth logo on it, the O does not bother me but I wouldn't buy a 7 string version of the Mike Ã…kerfeldt signature model because I hate the specs.

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I'd buy it, and Im probably in the minority wanting 2 volume knobs :(

12. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

What are the reasons behind some of you not liking the neck thru spec? Is it because it is not a true PRS in your eyes or is it cosmetic issues?

13. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

In my case is that I just want something different. As a big Opeth fan I've always loved PRS, and I'd like to own a 7-string one. But I want a PRS, not "something-with-typical-7-string-specs", because there's already enough models for that. We have a lot of 25'5" and 27" models, but we don't have any 25". We have a lot of bolt-ons and neckthru guitars with maple necks, but we don't have (almost) mahogany set necks, and the list goes on.

People buying a PRS knows what he's buying, and as I wouldn't like to have a baritone strat with extra jumbo frets, emgs and floyd rose I wouldn't like a PRS aimed to metal either. The attractive point of the guitar actually is having something different for once and of course the signature PRS mojo.

14. El Caco

I just prefer set neck and bolt on guitars.

15. El Caco

:yesway:

16. Justin Bailey

Justin Bailey SS.org Regular

for me it's the PRSness, people want a PRS 7 because they ant the PRS sound and vibe, not because they want an Ibanez that looks like a PRS, at least I dont

17. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

i also prefer set neck over anything else, for tonal reasons. i skipped over this thread because i really had zero interest in buying a prs but after reading a bit im getting interested. if the specs were right i'd buy one just because im so sick of the current specs offered by most companies. tired of black guitars with emg routes made out of basswood, bolt on or neck through. i guess im looking for a more traditional guitar with some modern touches. if prs came out with an all mahogany set neck guitar with a 27" scale and passive pups i'd buy it. some different color options would be nice too (ahem.....silverburst). fwiw singlecut all the way, no double cut for me.

i also realize that most people on this thread want 25" scale. it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me but i'd prefer 27". may be prs blasphemy but i need to buy a 7 with a longer neck next.

18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Then buy an Agile ;)

I'd rather have 22 frets, as the neck pickup sound is preferable to my ears, but I could live with 24.

19. White Cluster

White Cluster Gives Life Meaning

I'd go for the 25" scale
    24 fret satin finished set neck
    Rosewood FB
    Old Birds
    Standard trem

20. Justin Bailey

Justin Bailey SS.org Regular

I have some better looking mockups coming up any specific finish requests?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.