PRS Private Stock Guitars

park0496

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are the private stocks worth the price; do they hold their value on the used market?

Do they feel/play like the core models?

thanks!

asopala

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Only played one that was $10k at a store. Was it one of the best guitars I've played? Yes. Is it worth 10k? Maybe $5k if we're pushing how much I can afford.

I highly doubt they hold their value on the used market, if very few guitars in general do.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on specs they depreciate to what i'd call a normal extent. Are they better? Fancier with a bit more attention to detail over a core or wood library. Worth the money? Well thats up to you.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the general consensus is they play the exact same as the core models and the extra $$$ is really just fancy woods and aesthetics. I’ve never played one to confirm though.

Amenthea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They are exactly the same as cores, Artists, 10 tops etc and play the same, or worse, depending on how well its been looked after. You get to pick every part of it when ordering and of course some combinations of woods and finishes might make it play and sound better depending on your preference.

I did almost get one just before covid hit after getting a large PPI payment, but had a chance to play a load of really nice core/10t/artists etc in GAK Brighton first. I did note that although they look great they play only as well as everything else they produce.
As I'm not in a band atm, or making money from music etc I couldn't really justify the roughly 8k cost it would be for them to make a maple board Tremonti clone in satin. I brought a car instead lol

soul_lip_mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I view these as an excess item for well-off people that want to treat themselves something nice and totally custom.

I admit I’d like to have one some day that is 100% spec’d to me, to keep forever. I’d never buy one with the intent of it appreciating, though.

park0496

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Only played one that was $10k at a store. Was it one of the best guitars I've played? Yes. Is it worth 10k? Maybe $5k if we're pushing how much I can afford.

I highly doubt they hold their value on the used market, if very few guitars in general do.

They are exactly the same as cores, Artists, 10 tops etc and play the same, or worse, depending on how well its been looked after. You get to pick every part of it when ordering and of course some combinations of woods and finishes might make it play and sound better depending on your preference.

I did almost get one just before covid hit after getting a large PPI payment, but had a chance to play a load of really nice core/10t/artists etc in GAK Brighton first. I did note that although they look great they play only as well as everything else they produce.
As I'm not in a band atm, or making money from music etc I couldn't really justify the roughly 8k cost it would be for them to make a maple board Tremonti clone in satin. I brought a car instead lol

thanks.. Answers my questions!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I think the similarity to the core series is a little overstated. While I don't think you get an objectively better guitar consistently over wood library or whatever, I think the extra hands on time and attention to detail is evident.

They certainly don't hold their value, like most new guitars.

I would only order one new if going for unusual specs. One of mine is baritone for instance.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They are going to be the guitar for someone who really loves PRS guitars and wants something with the exact specs, finish etc to their liking. For everyone else they don't really make sense from a financial point of view when you could just buy a regular production line PRS.

Like most upper price range guitars the moment it's in your hands it's probably lost 30-50% of its value as the number of people willing to spend that much money on a used guitar is not big so if you want to sell it, expect to take a big hit.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Lmao goodness no not worth the money. Shoot, a core model is barely worth what they're asking.

Warmart

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The fretwork and overall fit and finish IS better than a Core/WL/Artist, at least on the couple I've fondled. But would I pay that much for the difference? Hells no.

I've heard plenty of people say they sound 5 - 10% better than a Core, but how does one quantify that?! Hey, if you have money to burn, go for it - but "value" is no part of the equation with a PRS PS. I'm a PRS fan but I just don't have any interest in them.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Only ever played one Private Stock model. It was very unique (Singlecut with a Floyd) but I didn't think it played better than any Core model I've ever played. Just says more of how good the Core guitars really are.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I asked a guy at chicago music exchange today and he said there was a noticeable difference in quality/playability etc compared to core/wood library and the like. I didn’t ask him if it was worth the $$$ difference since does that need asked?

Latest posts