PRS now selling 1000 dollar mic guitars.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by diagrammatiks, Nov 14, 2019.

1. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

It's not just guitar builders. I don't support anything china. I don't even order chinese food anymore.

efiltsohg, Wildebeest and c7spheres like this.
  2. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

No doubt. Give me a five. Up high. Down low. Too slow.

Wildebeest likes this.
  3. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

So what’s the difference between both of the guitars? They look really tempting.

4. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

The HBII has flamed maple veneer top and back, the HB doesn't.

5. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Pretty much this (as I type this from my corporate laptop which was almost definitely made in China, yes I know the hypocrisy, ignore that can of worms for the moment). I try to buy local where I can or at least from a manufacturer who actually pays their workers decently with goods in general (to the point at the moment where I'm considering switching manufacturers guitar wise away from Ibanez but that's another kettle of fish...).

jaxadam and Merrekof like this.
  6. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Shit, are you Amish or live in an extremely secluded society? How are you visiting this forum? You can't live your life without China, everything we buy and use in our daily lives either comes from China or is made by Chinese products or goods. There is no getting around it anymore.

Also, some people thought I was crazy for dropping 1700€ on a made in China Dingwall but that bass is the best music related item I ever bought in my life.

Razerjack, Ivars V and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  7. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I’ve wanted to buy a nice jazz box right at the 1k range. This and the Epiphone elite line or Eastman are looking really tempting.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If you can find an Eastman that cheap GRAB IT!

Look at used Ibanez Artstar and Artcore Customs too. Great bang for buck.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  9. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

That's a shame because Hong Kong and Taiwanese are under the label of "chinese food".

XPT707FX and Merrekof like this.
  10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I don't think that's the point. Mine would be that guitar prices overall are rising *much* faster than other costs of living, housing in "hot" cities excluded.

11. Evil Chuck

Evil Chuck SS.org Regular

It's interesting how sometimes people are for social justice (when it doesn't inconvenience them very much) and sometimes they don't give a shit...

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2019/country-chapters/china-and-tibet

I get that it's probably impossible in this day and age to not buy *anything* made in China, but don't pretend you give a damn about human rights if you buy, or support buying, something made in China as expensive as a guitar. Especially when you could *easily* avoid the purchase just by simply buying a guitar made somewhere where they don't treat human beings like fucking cattle.

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I live here. So I guess i'll just fucking starve.

13. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

This is not new.

14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I wish the U.S. could compete with China, but you can't compete with low wages, lack of environmental laws, human rights issues etc. If things keep going like this then China will become like the U.S. eventually after we're all gone and then after they have thier revolutions and government overthrow we will be competeing again, assuming the U.S. still exists then. I think the more likely scenario is that we will all eventually crash and become more like China, probably sooner than later too, unfortunately.

Wildebeest likes this.
  15. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Guitar is a pretty cheap hobby in the grand scheme of things. Can't complain too much.

16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

No kidding. Much different than jeep rock crawling or cigar boat racing.

nyxzz, Wildebeest and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  17. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Is there anything I can buy, US/EU made, with the same specs and look wise appealing for just as much?

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Keep it to guitars and stop with the ad hominem. Those reported will be dealt with. :yesway:

Razerjack and Musiscience like this.
  19. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I had a vegan ex and a common complaint people give is "well, x uses animal testing" or "your pets eat meat and you still buy that."

I could never get into veganism, but the rationale made sense; veganism is more about doing what you can to lessen the problem as much as you personally can. Sometimes things are unavoidable, and it's the same case here regarding China. It's easy to avoid buying Chinese guitars in favor of buying American. It's much more difficult to buy a computer, or phone, or most things without funding the chinese in some way because that's just where the US is as a society. (I can't speak for other countries.)

People shouldn't be shunned for wanting to make less of a footprint, even if it is in only one aspect. You're not a hypocrite for using chinese made tech if you're trying to support local as much as possible. Sometimes you have no choice.

There is indeed a bit of an ethical conundrum when it comes to buying chinese guitars. Typically when you spend more money on a guitar from the east, you get better quality or features. You pay 200 for a mic guitar, you're going to get $200 worth of parts and quality. You spend $1000, you'll hopefully get $1000 worth of parts and quality. With china it's now just a matter of who gets that $1000? And this is a legit question, as I am unfamiliar with how things work in the more expensive factories.

Edit: sorry, max. I didn't read your post until just now. Feel free to edit my post (not that you guys need my permission) if you feel it's too unrelated to guitars.

20. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Thanks a bunch!

Seeing these new hollowbody SEs are making me wish they would do an Emil Werstler import sig with his JA.
    PRS hollowbody guitars have that little something extra I can't quite put my finger on that make them more appealing to me.
    Next guitar on my list is a Telecaster, but this new SE might be coming later!