PRS Mushok upgrades (Hipshot, BKP, Avedissian)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by wheresthefbomb, Jul 2, 2020.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

For a number of these upgrades, this thread is much, much-belated, but I didn't want to post until I had most of the components in place. This is the second silverburst Mushok sig I have purchased, the first regrettably had to be sold to cover moving expenses, but I never got to make any of the changes I wanted to anyway.

The original owner of this guitar took the bridge off for some reason and stripped every single hole putting it back on. It stayed in place under tension but had a little wiggle. Enter the Hipshot. I was originally going to take it to a tech to have the Hipshot installed, but a combination of poverty and a taste for autodidactism led me down the path of DIY. As you may know, hipshot bridges are not a drop-in replacement on these guitars, which meant drilling. To me this thought was positively bone-chilling. What if I mess up my guitar? I'm not going to find another one of these up here.

Well, I put on my big boy trousers, measured a bunch and then a bunch more and then also some more, did some googling, and also found this thread which gave me the idea of using drill bits to secure the bridge, big shoutout to @youngthrasher9 for that one. It didn't hold it perfectly in place on one side so I had to cut the difference in the wiggle but it was less than a 1/32" tolerance.

https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/nbd-new-bridge-day-hipshot-content.308711/

I actually did have a tiny bit of "oopsie" on the third hole furthest from the knobs, but I put the other two screws on nice and tight first and then it didn't make a difference. I had to remove springs from a few of the saddles and will probably clip the screw on the low B/A, but now the intonation is dead on.

Thoughts:

The Night Prowler is amazing. I've never liked humbuckers and tend to replace them with p90s, but I wanted to try something different and this delivers. I use a lot of pedals into clean-on-the-edge-of-breakup high headroom amps, and every other HB I've used with this setup sounds like mushy shit which is why I usually use p90s, at least then the mush is expected and sounds halfway pleasant.

This sounds better than every other pickup I've every played through hands down. Very aggressive sound that also has a lot of clarity and definition, excellent dynamics, holds up magnificently under lots of dirt. There's a reason you never see them for sale used.

The Supermassive is exactly what it says it is and requires no further explanation.

These upgrades have made a massive difference in the quality of what was already a perfectly passable instrument. The pickups give it a huge tonal range and sound amazing together, the bridge gives and incredible amount of sustain and resonance, even when I was loading the strings I was shocked at how every little sound suddenly transferred through the entire body. The hipshot feels great under my hand and with the anodized knobs the black hardware really "pops." The patina of scum on the raw nickel supermassive is oxidizing into a beautiful iridescence, I hope the night prowler follows suit.

At this point I've spent well more than this guitar's original worth, and unlike more expensive stock instruments, I feel like I now have twice as much (or more) guitar for my investment. This is now the best-sounding, best playing, best-looking guitar I have ever owned. Eventually it will also get black anodized metal pickup rings and black tuning knobs, but those are low priority and this instrument is done "for now."

I have spent the last six months slowly putting these items together, and I am proud to finally present my mostly-fully-upgraded Silverburst Mushok Signature.

Graphtec Nut
    Anodized Aluminum Knobs
    BKP Supermassive
    Avedissian Night Prowler
    Hipshot Bridge
    Gaff Tape (not sorry Mike)

[​IMG]

That's a lotta holes.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This project brought to you in part by two sleeves of Carrot Cake Oreos.
    [​IMG]

Intonated and ready to rawk.
    [​IMG]

:shred:[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Zhysick, Masoo2, pecado and 7 others like this.
  2. wheresthefbomb

Oh bother, my images are broken! Please stand by...

3. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

They work for me.

what do you keep in that mushroom box..........

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Looks dope, had a couple of those, they’re awesome guitars. Congrats!

5. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Avedissian makes some incredible pickups, nice to see him getting some love around these parts. Great job man!

6. wheresthefbomb

recipes ;)