PRS Mushok Refinish project

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by xwmucradiox, Jul 11, 2015.

1. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

I've had this Mushok for a few years and it has served me well in my grind band. I liked the silverburst at first but then I got kind of tired of the dated look. Now that I have another baritone to use I decided to give this one a new finish to make it more my style.

Here's how it started this morning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stripped of all the hardware and electronics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started sanding off all the finish and spent about 4 hours on the body today with an orbital sander and 60 grit paper. As always the color came off quick but the sealer is a total bitch. I got everything on the top, back, and sides down to bare wood today with the exception of the horns. The neck will have to be lighter grit paper if I want to use the orbital but there will still be a ton of handwork.

Ultimate goal is to do a simple tru-oil finish like the Ibanez Mushok. Might extend the cutaway a tiny bit and round over the top edge like the back to make it more comfy. Haven't decided 100% yet.
    [​IMG]

s_k_mullins likes this.
  2. ngrungebb91

ngrungebb91 Prog

Good luck man, I can tell itll look great already! I'm afraid to do this with mine hahaha.

3. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

well if you're doing the single pickup thing and refinishing anyways, why not plug the extra control holes and the neck pickup route? Or perhaps a veneer to do the job?

4. xwmucradiox

I may end up getting new pickups and using both again. Or adding a second output for the neck pickup so I can try that option with my guitar/bass rig. I might just get more elegant ways to cover up the holes too.

5. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

all good! Im just a neat freak like that. Ordered a pick guard for my RG7321 to do a single pickup config. either way can't wait to see how this turns out!

6. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

If i were doimg this, id be adding some bevel to the top, rounding it out a little, sure you would lose the binding but you would have something more "core" looking and feeling..

7. xwmucradiox

My issue with this guitar has always been the hard edge on the top. It puts pressure on your tendons while you play which is never good. I may route a 1/2" radius all around the edge to remove the binding and make it more comfy.

I ended up going back and doing as much as possible after the OP. The only remaining finish to be removed is inside the horns and the sealer on the neck which needs to be removed completely before the tru oil can go on and feel right. Like a musicman neck is how it will end up. There is a little mineral spirits on the wood here to show what it would look like with one coat of untinted oil. Tru oil has a slight tint so it will actually be darker than this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

In dude. Wanna see what you come up with.

I did a one pup thing on my baritone with a guard and dig it; just covered the holes I wasn't using though. Think it'd be neat to fill everything and shoot it back to straight black. Interested to see which way you go.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  9. xwmucradiox

About an hour of work earlier to only remove the sanding sealer from this one little contour. .... that stuff is hard. Need to look into some dremel attachments to make faster work of these inside contours. The sealer on the neck is thinner but still insanely hard. Probably another 6-8 hours of sanding left just to get the sealer off and smooth everything out before I can think about finish sanding and prepping the wood for the oil. Ugh.

[​IMG]

10. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Currently have an rga that I'm sanding back and I feel your pain, it ....ing sucks!

11. vkw619

vkw619 Inspired Beginner

Why do I (who hates swirls btw) feel like this would look badass with a red/grey/black swirl? :lol:

12. TKOA-Dex

TKOA-Dex Master of Thall

this will look badass with a bevel! Cant wait to see more!

13. xwmucradiox

After a week or so of sanding sessions, 98% of the guitar is white, sanded to 320, and ready for Tru Oil. Some especially tight areas around the neck joint still have a small amount of sealer around them but Im not that worried as tru-oil builds a film and will still work over the small amount of sealer.

Busy all this weekend so it will probably be next weekend before I can get a few coats started.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. xwmucradiox

Finally getting coats of oil on this project.

Im at the second coat on the top. Here is before today's work, which is one coat knocked back slightly with 1200 grit:
    [​IMG]

And here is the second coat wet on the top:
    [​IMG]

The neck also has two coats. Im waiting on new ferrules and the holes in the back will need to be drilled out a bit to fit them so no finish on the back until that gets done this weekend.

15. xwmucradiox

Looks like two coats is all I really need to get the effect I wanted. Drilling out the ferrule holes tomorrow and then adding some finish to the back. The neck and top have been leveled with 1200 grit and rubbed out to a satin finish with 0000 steel wool. I should be able to get hardware and pickups back on this next week!

16. JuliusJahn

JuliusJahn Luthier

I recommend going higher then 2 coats.....5 at minimum, 12 ideally. Remember, you have 50+ years of wear and tear ahead to protect against. Better to spend another week applying oil now, then a few years down the road when you have to sand it all back down and do it all over again.

17. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

I wouldn't mind refinishing a mmm1 baritone I have, it's oiled and mahogany, does that mean I have to sand it back? I can't just apply more coats on top?

18. JuliusJahn

JuliusJahn Luthier

Depends on if it's actually oiled. Tru oil is actually a wiping varnish + linseed oil, hence why it builds a film.

19. xwmucradiox

Im not looking for that much build. The wood is sealed snd that's what matters. Regardless, Im not doing two coats out of laziness. Im doing two coats because its the look I want.

20. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

I think it looks great at the stage its at!
    I