PRS MT15w Tremonti Signature amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Zado, Jan 23, 2018.

1. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

I just asked If he used the Vector in that clip. He said no. Just the 2x12.

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I can only base this on clips but it has similarities to if I put my Bogner on the low power settings. My Bogner Goldfinger is 45W at full power, around 15W with both low voltage (lower plate voltage) and half power (only two 6V6 tubes) settings enabled. So it's an amp that has big transformers, sounds about like this with high gain settings with the amp totally cranked at full power. Not necessarily the setting I would use as it's "77" setting sounds generally punchier.

Anyway, like my amp at low power settings, the MT15 doesn't have quite the same kind of oomph I hear in higher powered amps, the lows don't stay as clean and the attack as tight. I think that's where the higher wattage comes to play as it generally helps keep the bass cleaner and tighter. The MT15 does certainly punch above its weight nevertheless.

It'll be interesting to hear the difference if they ever release a 50-100W version of the amp.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. sevenfoxes

Totally. The bigger the transformer, the more "oomph" the amp should have. I think with the success the MT15 is bringing, they will most definitely make a 50w or 100w version.

4. SYLrules88

SYLrules88 I play drums!

I've been keeping an eye on these for a while. Talked myself out of getting one earlier this year but just preordered mine! I asked zzounds a few days ago when they would have them in stock and was told Sep 15, then just yesterday the estimated date changed to Oct 8. Hopefully that doesn't get extended out further. Can't wait to get this baby in and give it a spin!

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

the amp designer said that all they'd have to do is swap out a few components and it'd be a 50w head. From hearing that I think I'd hold out for the 50w.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'd say wait until Winter NAMM if you're that desperate for a higher-wattage one.

7. sevenfoxes

Not a bad idea! I'm sure I'll sell my mt15 as soon as the 50w is released.

8. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

So if I'm understanding right, the only thing holding this thing back from being a 50w amp is a few components? Or is it possible by modding it with the existing ones? I wondered why it was only 15w?

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It's a few components, but i imagine one of the transformers is one of those components. I imagine they use a tranny that makes the amp run at a lower plate voltage.

Also it started life as a 6v6/el84 amp. They wanted a lunchbox amp.

soldierkahn likes this.
  10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

In case someone is thinking of modding one to this, just wait for winter NAMM instead. Buying a new transformer and having the modding done would be quite expensive.

Like said they wanted to make a lunchbox amp but Tremonti did not like how it sounded with 6V6 tubes you would typically use in an amp like this so instead they went with 6L6 but cut the plate voltage down to make it lower efficiency. That's similar to how you get for example a 20W Marshall DSL with EL34s plus they can use a smaller transformer which cuts down on cost.

11. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

Totally forgot to post about it, but a few months ago, Tremonti told a german guitar magazine in an interview that he already has a 100W proto at home.
    He also said that the reactions are better than expected, so the only question should be "when" they'll release it.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Ooh, interesting. Probably once they’ve caught up on orders of the 15, and they’re in stock places.

Maybe some real cheap 15’s up used when the 50 and/or 100 come out!

13. sevenfoxes

Just got mine in today. It definitely sounds and feels like a full sized amp (not sure about band volumes though). Amazing tone on both channels. I put in a 12ay7 in it and it really cleaned up the noise and made the gain way more useable. My only complaint is that the fx loop is a tad noisy, and that you can't turn it on/off. For the price though, it's the best amp in existence. Even better that they include a footswitch and slip cover.

14. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

So PRS hasn't put up the tube chart or manual online for the MT15 yet. Odd.
    https://www.prsguitars.com/support/manuals

Any owners remember if this was included in the box? I have no idea where mine would be at this point.