PRS MT15 vs v1 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gooood call! The new 50 Archon looks and more importantly sounds like the one. Love the tone I'm hearing on the new Archon 50 wayyyy better than the MT15 or EVH III's. Wow blown away and love the stripped down features and look. I wonder how it sounds at lower volumes?
Sounds awesome at lower volumes.

I recently bought one, and love everything about it, except the fx loop, which is just too noisy for my picky tastes. All Archon and MT15 amps suffer from this, but a 12au7 has been a solid fix.

Here’s my NAD thread where i go into some detail about the amp.

oakentower

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sounds awesome at lower volumes.

I recently bought one, and love everything about it, except the fx loop, which is just too noisy for my picky tastes. All Archon and MT15 amps suffer from this, but a 12au7 has been a solid fix.

Here’s my NAD thread where i go into some detail about the amp.

Really appreciate your input and help. I think this the amp for me, it reminds me of Ghost Reveries era Opeth tones.
The high gain sound reminds me of Opeth's Ghost Reveries era. Super articulate and chunky without any fizz. Too bad about the FX loop but I'll try the 12au7 if I end up getting one. Really blown away by the sound of the new Archon 50, love it.

Last edited:

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d really like to play an Archon 50. Do you guys know if the Helix models the new or the old USA Archon? I really like the model, and I loved my MT-15. The whole “mix of a recto and 5150” is pretty spot on to my ears. I think I’ve said it before, the PRS tone is what I want a recto to sound like. Big, beefy low end, plenty of high end clarity, and a great clean channel too. You really can’t lose, and they’re surprisingly versatile for the simplicity of their layout. I’m holding out for the MT100, but if I had to pick now I’d probably go Archon 50, especially considering price.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d really like to play an Archon 50. Do you guys know if the Helix models the new or the old USA Archon? I really like the model, and I loved my MT-15. The whole “mix of a recto and 5150” is pretty spot on to my ears. I think I’ve said it before, the PRS tone is what I want a recto to sound like. Big, beefy low end, plenty of high end clarity, and a great clean channel too. You really can’t lose, and they’re surprisingly versatile for the simplicity of their layout. I’m holding out for the MT100, but if I had to pick now I’d probably go Archon 50, especially considering price.
Not sure, but even if it did, i doubt it would even be close to the real thing. I say that because i have an FM3, and the only way I’ve ever been able to get close enough to the Archon tone is by running it through the Archon 100 power amp, but that’s been the case for a lot of amp models on the FM3.

The power amp just colors the tone too much.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another note about the new Archon 50w. Those 6CA7 tubes give it a somewhat different and improved tone over the MT15 and the previous Archons, so i think that would make it a little more difficult for the modelers to achieve. I’m sure you could get into “similar” territory, but there’s just nothing like the real thing.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just start stacking them up and playing in stereo :agreed:
Cmon, stop making sense, this isn't fair.

That'd give me an excuse reason to buy an actual cab with stereo instead of running IRs, too... :yum:

oakentower

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OP here, now I'm looking at the EVH 5150 Iconic head. Sounds pretty awesome for my taste but way less refined than the Archon, does anyone have 1st hand experience with the EVH Iconic Head?

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Look, it's bad enough the 5153 50W 6L6 thread is making me want to throw my 50W Stealth in the bin - I don't need you all making me want to throw my MT15 in the bin for an Archon 50, too.
Haha. Dude I’m one of those who raves about the 6L6 Blue channel but I’ve been playing through the stealth lately and it’s also incredibly good. They’re both amazing…just different.

• Love
Reactions: drb

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
OP here, now I'm looking at the EVH 5150 Iconic head. Sounds pretty awesome for my taste but way less refined than the Archon, does anyone have 1st hand experience with the EVH Iconic Head?
Yes, and I A/B'd it with the 5150 III 50W concentric pot version. I liked the Iconic WAY better. More low end, more open, more raw sounding.

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn’t note anything special about the Iconic, however, it wasn’t my guitar when I tried one, nor did I have my usual EQ in the loop like I do with my 5153 and 6505.