PRS McCarty Cloudy Finish

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Symbol, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Hey guys, i have a pending deal for a 94' PRS McCarty 10 top that is unfortunately having some sort of cloudy-haze over the finish( i suppose its either blushing or something else) . And im not even sure if this is a legit / real prs mccarty hmm..

Just wondering if you guys can take a look and provide some solution to getting the cloudy finish fixed as well as checking if its a real PRS or not

*edit*
    PRS got back to me and the official specs are as follows haha

2000 McCarty model with a 10 grade maple top.
    A wide fat carve Indian rosewood neck and fretboard with bird inlays.
    A solid mahogany back with a stoptail bridge and gold hardware.
    McCarty pickups and electronics.
    Finished in Amber.

Well apparently the cloudy-ness is caused storing it in a bad place (ala high moisture / temperature and humidity)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Looks legit to me.
    I could be wrong but I think this is a 2000 model?

I'm afraid I can't be of much help in the cloudiness department. My thoughts are that the colour has simply faded (as some finishes tend to do over time--sometimes quicker than you'd expect). I actually recall a member of the PRS Forum having an issue where his guitar had faded over a few years and he sent it back and PRS did a refinish for free. Seeing as how you will not be the original owner of the instrument I'm assuming the lifetime warranty would now be void.

3. cult

cult SS.org Regular

Send these pics to PRS, they will be able to help you.
    I looks legit to me as well.

4. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Hmmm i've sent a mail to PRS, just waiting for a reply haha. But damn, a refinish for free?! A local luthier quoted me for a refinish job for $700 haha.
    Just trying to see whats my options are in fixing this!

5. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

PRS currently has my 2001 Singlecut that started to cloud (not nearly to the extent of your guitar) so I contacted PRS and they are refinishing it for free stating it is a finish defect. Their PTC (PRS Tech Center) is great to work with. They are swamped though, they've had my guitar for about 6 months now.

6. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

i see. PRS replied my mail saying that there is an issue with the adhesion with the finish which can be caused by prolong exposure to the high temperature. They quoted me 1300 plus shipping for the fix

and i've gotten the verification on the guitar which seems to match exactly to what the guy have sent me.

Should i still get the guitar from the seller? I mean the only option i have if i do get it is to send it to either my local luthier (Luca quacquarella) of which he quoted me 700 with any finish and his stuff looks pretty good. Or send it to PRS or just simply pass on the deal.

7. jc986

Depends on what kind of deal you're getting on the guitar. Take into consideration that you would likely not be able to recoup much of the cost spent on a refinish should you choose to resell it later on.

I'd go for it if it's a really great deal and it's a great player. If you can't play it before buying I'd probably pass just because if that much of the finish has lifted due to exposure to heat who knows what other issues might be lurking to to improper storage and exposure to extreme temps.

I wouldn't consider it for any more than $750 given the condition, and that's pushing it. You can find McCarty's regularly in close to mint condition in the 1250-1400 ballpark.

8. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Definitely legit, I believe it's a 2000 as someone pointed out.

Please point me at these mint condition 10 top McCartys with rosewood necks for $1250 - $1400 :lol:

9. jc986

My bad, missed that it had a rosewood neck. With the rosewood neck, assuming it's a good player with no other problems, I'd go up to around maybe $1200 or so. Rosewood necked McCarty's that actually sell tend to go around $2300-$2500 and he's still looking at a pricey refinish.

10. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Good deals are out there, just have to be active in what you are looking for, I got my 10 top rosewood neck P22 for $2000 AUD, not a mark on it...

11. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

hmmm im having a 1-1 trade with a old tom anderson classic that had a refinish and a ding. The guy lives a couple hour drive away in malaysia, so he'll be travelling down with it. So i guess i'll have a go with it and see how it goes haha

12. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Going to throw this out there, I don't think the cloudy finish looks bad tbh...

13. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

i think it looks pretty cool actually haha. i will have a look when i meet up with the seller and see how this goes!

Will update next week! :)

14. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

the guitar wants to be trans-white or blonde sunburst...

15. cult

cult SS.org Regular

Sand it down, oil and wax finish :D
    You can turn it into almost any finish you'd like.

16. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Pretty much what I was thinking the whole time too lol. Wouldn't bother me in the least leaving it as is!

17. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Well, i just met up with the guy, didn't work out at all.

18. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

What happened??

19. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Well, the case was really beaten up with some holes , dings and a ton of rust on latches.

Guitar wasn't kept properly at all, tons of 'cloudy' scratches on the back, oxidation on hardware, super dry looking rosewood neck and fretboard. The finish was real cloud haha.

I was really disappointed but glad i didn't go through with it. Simply wasnt worth my time and it didnt feel great.

It's alright, thanks guys for the replies !

20. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Chances are then the photos he supplied were from when he originally got it and it worsened over time. Would have been a great platform for a refinish if you could have nabbed it ultra cheap!