Prs ce24 Dimarzio suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by kerekem, Mar 18, 2021.

1. kerekem

kerekem SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

I need a little advice.

I have a 2006 ce24, but the previous owner swapped out the pickups. Shame on him.

I now have acces to dimarzio humbuckers for basically pennies, so i would gladly hear some suggestions for both neck and bridge positions.

Now here comes the hard part - but i have a specific sound in my head, that maybe is not even achievable.

I want the neck humbucker to be like a PAF - vintage, low output, round and creamy sounding without getting muffled, basically to have a 24 fret LesPaul. I mostly split the neck humbucker.

The bridge i want for higher gain, lead sound- with balanced eq, no harsh highs, no boomy lows, powerful, but not overwhelming output.
    And in the split middle postion to sound like a strat.

Easypeasy

I know I want a lot, but I am downsizing my gear and trying to get in the realms of 'less gear suited for more versatile applications'-i know, jack of all trades master of none is not the best approach, but desperate times ask for desperate measures...

Any suggestion and help will be greatly appreciated !

cheers guys and girls

Tl;dr I want my prs to sound like a lespaul in the neck, like an ibanez in the brige, and like a strat in the middle...

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

36th anni in the neck, mo jo in the bridge?

3. kerekem

kerekem SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice. I guess the 36th PAF is an obvious choice for the neck, but i am not so sure about the mo'joe. It has a lot of mids, and i am afraid, that paired it with the mahogany prs it will be too honky.

4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Try it and see?

Honestly i'd go double 36th and EQ your lead tone to be how you want it to sound. The cab choice will affect it way more than the pickup.

kerekem likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

36th or PAF Pro in the neck depending on whether you want to use the neck for cleans or leads more, respectively. That's not to say the 36th can't do lead work or the PAF Pro can't do cleans so much as that's just what they excel at :2c:

For the bridge, you might like the Breed depending on how bright the guitar is naturally. It was a little loose for my uses, but I'm also tuned fairly low and mostly a heavy rhythm/chugs player. It had a great vocal quality and was smooth for lead work, not too boomy or shrill, not scooped, etc. It's not a screaming hot pickup, but it's definitely on the higher side of mid-output. It clears up when it's backed off the strings, too. If you think you'd want something tighter and more aggressive, but overall similar to how I've described the Breed, you'd probably like the Dominion. It is actually based on the Breed, but has a ceramic magnet, faster bass response, and an overall gnarlier voicing. Similar output to the Breed. The Dominion is my favorite pickup ever and I use it for chugs, chords, leads, cleans paired with a neck pickup, whatever :metal:

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Nothing hard about either of these.

The 36th anniversary PAF is probably a good choice, but honestly a PAF Pro is awfully tough to beat in the neck position, especially if "round" is a sound you're after. Bridge, there's a bunch of options here, but an AT-1 would be at the top of my list.

If you can get them for pennies, give it a shot, you lose basically nothing by trying.

kerekem likes this.
  7. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

I have a CE24 with an Air Classic bridge in the neck, and a Norton in the bridge. Mine has the 5 way rotary switch, and all 5 are good. The Norton is great for rock, metal, whatever, the Air Classic is very Les Paulish, and the split combos sound very Fender. The pickups balance output wise very well, too.

kerekem likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

air classic and Nortons are good.

I kinda like the Steve's special for the bridge.

the only hard part is really good split coil sounds. I find most spilt coils pretty useable. But having it sound exactly like a Strat is depends.

You can try some tricky wiring, like parallel one and split the other coil.

kerekem likes this.
  9. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

36th anniversary paf in the neck and a fortitude in the bridge. Best dimarzio combo going right now IMO

kerekem, efiltsohg and Zhysick like this.
  10. kerekem

kerekem SS.org Regular

You mean You have a bridge humbucker in the neck position?

11. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

Yes. It’s a little hotter than the AC neck, and keeps up well with the Norton.

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

DiMarzio D-Activator X set with parallel switching option. The parallel sound of the D-Activators are just sweet! The split sounds also great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Zhysick and Masoo2 like this.
  13. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

The 36th anniversary PAF has been pretty good.
    For the bridge, I've been a fan of the Super 3. It's a dark pickup, but never boomy to my ears.

14. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

PAF 36th neck model in the brdige position. Trust me, give it a go. Failing which , Fortitude.
    Neck: PAF36th, or a Bluesbucker. I love mine.