PRS Archon VS Peavey Invective

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by viifox, Apr 25, 2019.

1. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Thoughts?
    Which one has better cleans?
    Which one has the better fx loop?
    Which one sounds better at lower volumes?
    How's the build quality on the Invective?

Thanks in advance for answering all of my annoying questions! :)

2. Bforber

Bforber SS.org Regular

The Archon has my favorite clean channel of any amp, ever.

Invective, though the Archon fx loop is fine if you get a newer one, (they had to go back and fix it.)

They both sound great.

I just saw someone return one to my local GC, but it was used when the person bought it. That's all I know.

Extra bit- if you're planning on doing any sort of midi control/4 cable/that sort of thing, get the invective. If you're just plug and play, either is great, (I prefer the Archon, only because I find the 5150 based tone to be a little harsh to my ears, but that's personal preference.)

viifox likes this.
  3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

Cleans, loop, low volume is virtually the same with all modern channel switching amps (they are preamp driven), and build quality?

The 5153... oops sorry, I’ll see myself out. :lol:

Konfyouzd, Empryrean, oracles and 4 others like this.
  4. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

The Archon has the best clean of just about any amp I’ve ever owned, with the Mark V being just a tad sweeter.

Archon is hands down the best 100w head I’ve played for low volume stuff. I disagree that all modern channel switching amps are equal here. The Archon sounds awesome even at whisper quiet levels, and I can’t say that about the 10-12 other heads I’ve owned.

Unfortunately I don’t have any hands on experience with the Invective.

viifox likes this.
  5. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I actually used to own an Archon, and I loved it! The clean channel was the best I've ever heard on any amp before. The gain structure was also incredibly good.

The only downside is that the fx loop was pure garbage and unusable.

I certainly do prefer the gain structure of the Archon over a 6505. If the Invective has the same gain structure as 6505, then I'd pass it up.

6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

They supposedly fixed the Archon effects loop around mid 2014. Mine is early 2014 and I have no loop issues, but others have said their loop sucked on 2018 models so who knows? Invective is a 5150/6505 with cool add ons and an actual clean channel.

viifox likes this.
  7. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

The invective is based on the 5150 block lettwr, but has its own sound....no way its a 5150 with a good clean channel

bracky likes this.
  8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I would scoop up the Invective. Dual effects loops, built in noise gate, built in boost. You have a kickass high gain channel, great clean channel, and all the tools to integrate pedals and switch between them seamlessly.

Honestly if Misha’s name wasn’t associated with the Invective I doubt it would be getting half the flak it gets.

EDIT:
    Unless there’s been reliability issues. I know peavey’s manufacturing moved to China.

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, production delays.
    Forgot about preorders too. Fuck those.

But, as the amp stands now, going into it understanding its a really souped up 5150 actually makes me want it.

11. USMarine75

“Block letter.” :squint:

So you’re saying the Invective comes with better stock tubes?

And modern channel switching amps don’t get their gain and tone (other than some overall coloring) from their power tubes. So what it sounds like at 1 it sounds like at 5. Anything else is subjective perception. Nothing objective about this.

12. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Aww shit, now you gone and done it.

Deadpool_25 and USMarine75 like this.
  13. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

I get what you're saying and I agree that the power tubes have less color on the sound than the preamp tubes, but to say that power tubes don't affect the tone very much can be inaccurate. That's why there is a difference in amps that only have a different power tubes like 5153 50w 6l6 vs El34, they don't sound the same. I think preamp tubes do matter more in metal amps, but power tubes do play a role in tone too.

JesperX likes this.
  14. USMarine75

No that’s not what I’m saying. My fault if I wasn’t clear. What I’m saying is that turning up/down the volume has almost no effect (prob <5%) on tone of a modern channel switching amp. If you like your amp at 5 then it’s the same at 1 (barely on). Anything else is purely subjective (I.e. you’re not going to get aural effects like thump at that volume). These amps just don’t rely on master volume for sag and compression like a Fender Twin Reverb does.

Anyways, that’s why I referred to coloring being the only effect. Even then the circuit design is probably 75%+ of why many British amps sound British, and why American amps sound American. Simply swapping tubes only never has the effect people think it will.

15. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

The tone stack (American / British) is not directly correlated with the type of the power tubes (6L6/EL34).

USMarine75 likes this.
  16. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The boost on the invective is really good. It brightens up an otherwise fat sounding amp. My problem with the invective is that it has sooooo much gain. The crunch channel is so fat and and gained up compared to the original mk1. The lead channel has unusable gain past 4. (or 5 if you have low gain pickups) Too much gain makes the amp sound bloated and the lows sound wet.

That's why the mk1 and the mk2 sound aggressive is that the lows and mids sound drier and not as rounded out because they have less gain than the invective.

Although you can engage boost on the clean channel and you are on EVH 5150III blue channel territory.

17. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Well, i went with the Archon 100 again. I saw one for $900, so I couldn't pass it up. I REALLY love the clean channel on that amp. The gain structure is crazy smooth too. Good times.

skmanga, XPT707FX, PrestoDone and 2 others like this.
  18. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Got the Archon today. I almost forgot how amazing this amp is! The Archon has the smoothest gain structure I've ever heard from an amp, and the cleans are equally as good (crazy rare in high gain amps). It's like gourmet dark chocolate, baby. :D

I know there's been a lot of comparisons made between the Archon and MT15, but the Archon is a far better amp. The gain structure is cleaner, and more defined. There's a lot more headroom (obviously), and the clean channel is light years ahead. Funny enough, the Archon is a much better amp for low playing. It sounds crazy good at lower volumes, and the taper is really flexible. (The MT15 is still an awesome amp in it's own right, but it's so effing loud and noisy!)

Regarding noise in the fx loop, my 2018 model hates angled cords being plugged into the send/return. It will most definitely hum if you do that! Aside from that, the fx loop is basically noiseless. I am getting some slight hum from the amp itself, but It sounds like normal tube amp hum to me, nothing crazy.

Overall, the Archon is one of those amps that inspires you to play, and makes you not want to put your guitar down.

Shredi Knight 777 and jc986 like this.
  19. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I haven’t played both, but tonally I’d go for the Archon. The Invective is mainly cool because of the extra buttons/switches. Apart from that it’s a 5150.
    The Archon is one of the best modern high gain amps on the market. That’s not to say the Invective isn’t, but the Archon just has more mojo.

viifox likes this.
  20. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I was never a big fan of the 5150. It's just a dirty sounding amp, which is why I like the evh a whole lot more. Don't get me wrong, the 5150 is perfect for certain styles of music, but I'm tired of fizz and gravel in my distortion...if that makes sense.