Providing feedback to D'addario about their 8-string sets

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by edkaye, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Meximelt

Meximelt SS.org Regular

The .011 for a b3 isn't bad on my intrepid.

2. potatohead

potatohead SS.org Regular

This is a bit off topic but if the D'addario guy is still reading this thread, I want to mention something.

Why in the world are 9 - 42 or 9 - 46 sets using an .011 instead of a .012? It makes absolutely no sense other than that's what everybody else is doing. A .011 has 11 lbs of tension at b :nuts:. I hate buying single 12's with my 9 - 46's.

Also, please make a 10-13-17-28-38-48/49 set... Like yesterday. This will sell.

Thanks.

3. djinn314

djinn314 SS.org Regular

if there's an EXL-120-8 why not make an EXL-130? I'm not a fan of the 140-8's (two brand new sets, strings were...not like normal guitar strings, maybe a fluke but it sucked going through two sets back to back). I'll probably end up with Kurt Menigan or whatever his name is.

4. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

EDIT: Made new thread

5. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

@DoomJazz: I might suggest a separate EAEA thread for this, as several of your wound gauges are non-standard, which is sorta useless (even with D'Addario, who carry the largest half-gauge plain selection).

6. edkaye

edkaye SS.org Regular

Oh my, that would be great for... Oh wait, nope that sucks for pretty much any scale!

7. edkaye

edkaye SS.org Regular

No, that's a typo, it should be F#. Something like an .082 would be great, but it's unlikely they are going to produce a whole new gauge of string just for us 8-stringers. They already have an .080 in production though.

8. Rook

Rook Electrifying

On my 2228 I had 11-54, 66, 80 and it felt perfect, if anything the 80 should have been a little tighter.

I love really heavy string, particularly on the bottom 2 or 3, manufacturers really struggle with these kits I feel.

In drop D (on a 6) having the low D as a 60 feels great but the 12-60 sets are just little too tight, the top 3 of a set of 11's would be better but I can't be doing with splitting up sets :-S

Even tension across all strings doesn't feel best for me, I play the lowest four strings very differently to the top 3 or 4...

9. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Hall of shame (tensions for 25.5" scale) ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rekab

rekab SS.org Regular

On the upside:
    This light set might work great for the tuning I use
    (low to high) GDGCFBbDG On my C8 (26.5")

11. Guitarwiz2k

Guitarwiz2k Tech Metal Guitarwiz

I got a set, and that 65 is pretty bad... and it seems this set even came on my new RGA8-QM. The very next day I got the guitar, I ordered a 68... Now I know many seem to enjoy the 72's and 74's, but after playing them for a month on my RGA8-BK, I did a comparison, and the 8-string set, with the modified 68 feels completely natural from low to high, either shreading, chord voicings, quick rhythms or tapping.

I found the 74 a bit too thick to pass at the same rate of speed naturally as the "B" right next to it, but the 65 feels like a toy when playing quick rhythms, and is way too slinky.

Just my :2c: ... but, just that one minor change would transition a lot better from string to string, in my humble opinion.

12. mustache79

mustache79 I like to play

So, I have just bought an Agile 828. I want this thing to be a djent machine tuned for standard or perhapse a half step down. I'm thinking a 9-42 set +60 gauge +80

any suggestions?

13. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

My feedback to D'Addario: I find the EXL140-8 set is perfect for my 7-string guitar tuned a whole step down, I just take out the 7th string from the set (That one I use on my 6 string in dropped C). The top strings are very light and comfortable to bend, and the bottom strings are just amazingly tight.

14. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

While some natural progression in string thicknesses, and as such the feeling under the fingertips, is always preferred, still, it really doesn't take that long getting used to a more severe gauge jump on the lowermost string.

On 26.5" scale, my two low A1 and D2 tuned strings are 075 and 050, which initially makes the 075 feel like an abrupt step-up in size.
    070+050 did feel like a more natural progression, but the 070 just didn't have the tension.
    The step from 050 to 075 took maybe a couple hours getting used to, that's all ;)

Tuning to F1# on a 27" scale, I wouldn't be able to use a 068 at all, and I'm not even a heavy handed rythm/djent player, more a mix of open picking chords and shredding, both high and low, and playing with a pointy stone pick which require precision picking.

15. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

I asked daddario if they had any strings that could accommodate a high A tuning. They said they didn't have any and the steel wouldn't be adequate to tune that high

16. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

I ended up getting a balanced string set using an online calculator and ordering from LaBella. Tension was ~14lbs for the plain wound strings and ~15lbs for the rest of them. I felt funky at first and I tried to like it, but I really think just ordering a set of D'addarios would be best for me in the end. Oh well, Strokes and Folks.

17. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

As a starting point use the tension charts here: http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf to match the tensions of the F# and B to the .042 E. Result is a .056 B and a .074 F#. The rule is this: for an equal tension string a fourth lower, multiply the unit weight by 1.782. After trying this as a starting point i recommend you perfect your set by feel and experimentation.

EDIT: Or for a slight and smoother increase in tension from E to F# go .042 .058 .080.

:lol: well that shows how bad that set is, the fact that .054 to .074, and skipping the .064, is a good progression for a fourths interval :scream: you reading this D'Addario?

I doubt it seeing the evidence in this thread, a D'Addario set would be worse. You just haven't found your optimum gauges yet, keep experimenting! :) An equal tension set is not necessarily optimum for everyone, you might prefer a slight and progressive fall in tension from low to high.

18. Guitarwiz2k

Guitarwiz2k Tech Metal Guitarwiz

I guess for me, because I switch guitars on a gig so much; It's not so much a getting used to anymore, but just the transitions between strings, and even between my 6 or seven string. With the 6 and 7 I don't feel that discomfort of a change in gauge, but with one particular 8 string I feel it when I play that one. So I've gone ahead and replaced my 8 strings with a 68 on the low F#, then to a 54 for the B, and so on down....

19. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/162586-a4-beyond-thread.html

I have a thread linked in there in which I tested D'addarios strings. I've done some more since with pretty similar results.
    So I did ge tthe 007 by D'addario playable at A for short periods of time, but yeah I'd draw the line at G#.

20. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

An 8 string set using D'Addario's currently available singles, and based on a 9-42 set 'smoothed' and improved by using a .012 B and a .044 E ...

[​IMG]