Protest the Hero new album Palimpsest out June 19

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by CTID, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot ยป Supra-ise!

Sounds like more of the Volition/Pacific Myth writing approach, tbh - can't say I'm psyched about it. It seems Kezia and Fortress shall continue to remain untouched by every album thereafter. Scurrilous has some moments, though.

I've seen them live 10+ times, during the original tours of Kezia/Fortress, the respective X anniversary tours and multiple times in between. Something's just been missing for me. Moe and Arif were crucial members and they just haven't written or composed quite the same since their departure, and I can echo the sentiments of Rody's voice not sustaining throughout performances over the years. I don't consider that a creative negative or anything, shit happens and his vocals couldn't have been easy to do so consistently for so long.

Idk, man. I was so huge into this band growing up and maybe it's me who needs to change expectations.

Flemmigan likes this.
  2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Some bands just lose the magic, or they think that they're "maturing" when really they should just hang it up and start new bands with the direction/sound they want *cough* MASTODON *cough*

3. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I've accepted these guys peaked at Volition and nothing will touch that, but I won't complain about more music from them.

ikarus likes this.
  4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Huge Protest the Hero fan. Kezia, Fortress, and Volition are all killer, but I didn't really like that at all. Hopefully the rest of the album is better, but it seems like Volition might have been the end of the line for them unfortunately.

5. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

Yeah, I can relate. As much as I am excited to hear a new album from them, I'm feeling sad on some level too. They have more of a formula now, not a bad thing and inevitably it happens to all bands at some point. Arif was the best part of the band to me. His personality and his unique approach to bass really made the band stand out. I definitely spent high school trying to copy his style. When he left, I was majorly bummed but continued supporting them because I still dig the tunes. Now this is really their first full length without him, even though he left about 6 years ago. I think Kezia and Fortress just had that element of freshness that's impossible to replicate, plus I was an impressionable teen at the time, so I guess I'm just getting nostalgic and grappling with my age at some level. :lol: I still enjoy most of the stuff they put out, but it can't ever have that unique character again.

The Canary is a grower for me, not my favorite, but in the end they have always been an album band for me (part of the reason I wasn't hugely into Pacific Myth, even though the individual songs are good). I'm still looking forward to it and I hope they get on a few great tour packages during the tour cycle.

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  6. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Hey, I liked the song, but hardly groundbreaking for these guys. Just Rody's vocals.. By the sounds of it, he's going to blow out his voice again if he will even try to sing like this live. Some moments you can really hear his voice scraping to unhealthy sounds.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I listened to it a few times and I like it more. It has some really good sections but they don't sound as powerful as they should, is it the mix or Rody's voice? Or is it cause the song feels the same tempo throughout and doesn't really peak or drop like older material?

8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I was a bit hesitant to check this out since I didn't enjoy the first song much but this song is incredible. Rody's vocals and the lyrics are much. 4 minutes on is PTH at their best. The way it starts slow and builds up is so powerful. Hyped for the new album!

9. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I'm always stoked for new Protest. I've loved every album so far. The first new song was a bit weird but we'll see how it goes. The lyrics were definitely clumsy and heavy-handed, but I never listen to lyrics anyway so no big deal for me.

10. Flemmigan

Definitely digging the 2nd song right off the bat and still looking forward to the album.

aesthyrian likes this.
  11. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Yeah this album is gonna kick all sorts of ass :eddie:

12. MFB

MFB Banned

Listened to this earlier, which prompted to also relisten to The Canary - From The Sky is definitely better, and I feel like this should have been the album between Volition and Pacific Myth; the production of it feels like that's where it sits. The Canary, I think someone reuploaded it or something happened with the inital Youtube version because that one sounded like dogshit, whereas now it sounds like From The Sky, which improves it infinitely. It's still just kind of ho-hum, but I'm for sure buying this album regardless.

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Palimpsest? Was Zingalamaduni already taken?

14. MFB

MFB Banned

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    budda likes this.
  15. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I'm just not vibing Rody's voice unfortunately. It just doesn't sound as powerful any more. I feel really bad for him TBH

Furtive Glance likes this.
  16. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

New album is out! :hbang:

Flemmigan likes this.
  18. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

New album is pretty figgin damn awesome

Emperoff and Flemmigan like this.
  19. MFB

MFB Banned

I've been crazy swamped with work, so I'm waiting until I'm not knee deep in it so I can focus my attention on it; everyone on the PTH subreddit has been all about it, but who knows if that's fanboyism or if it's actually that good.

20. Flemmigan

As usual, I'm enjoying the album more with each listen. So far, All Hands has to be my favorite and easily one of my favorites they've ever written. I feel like there's more variety this time around, including more clean tones, bass riffs, different sorts of endings, and obviously lots of orchestration. Obviously the riffs are all there (and there are some really cool ones) but I feel like they finally let them take backseat to the songwriting. Overall it feels a little more progressive and adventurous in the vein of Kezia. My one gripe is I feel like the orchestra is mixed a bit high and the guitars not quite high enough.
    Gonna take a few more weeks to process it, but I'm really impressed. It's just a lot of fun to listen to. I would probably rank this one after Kezia and Fortress and above Volition and Pacific Myth.

aesthyrian likes this.