Protein- what's your daily intake?

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I get lots of rest days lol!
It’s cumulative I think, an extra two days to recover a week sometimes is not enough. Our couch had us on a good program but it was so hard to eat that much, ride and work. now it’s just fitness and leaning out staying in shape to race in the summer.
The older I get it’s even harder to recover, chasing and beating those 20 year old guys takes some serious effort now!

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What the hell is a watt in a human body context?
In cycling we us it to measure power output, same as horsepower.
Our bikes have power meters on the cranks that measure the force we apply which comes out as watts.
FTP or functional Threshold Power is the maximum amount of watts we can maintain over a period of time.
Last one is our watts per KG, it evens the playing field. A guy 200 lb doing 300watts is the same as a guy at 140 doing 175watts.
The same in cars as HP per pound..

A top ranked pro can have an FTP of 3-400 watts peaking at 1000w. They can do massive power for hours steady in some cases like the grand tours..

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
What the hell is a watt in a human body context?
One joule per second, same as it is in any other context.

I get lots of rest days lol!
It’s cumulative I think, an extra two days to recover a week sometimes is not enough. Our couch had us on a good program but it was so hard to eat that much, ride and work. now it’s just fitness and leaning out staying in shape to race in the summer.
The older I get it’s even harder to recover, chasing and beating those 20 year old guys takes some serious effort now!
Strange, but yeah I agree, if I've been working hard a day off isn't going to cut it. A couple days at a minimum to a week.

I'd say a top ranked pro is a bit beyond that - I'm probably around 320w at FTP these days (for @Adieu, a "period of time" is usually defined as one hour, so your FTP is estimated as the maximum power output you can maintain for an hour, usually estimated as 95% of your 20-minute max, because trust me, max-effort testing is NOT a pleasant experience. :lol:) and while I'm heavier than a World Tour pro, there's more to it than that. My peak power is about 1250w and 10s max is I think either just over or just under 1100w, and for short bursts on flat ground raw power trumps w/kg, but even then I'd get my ass handed to me in a World Tour bunch sprint. I remember seeing Peter Sagan's power numbers for one of his sprints in the Giro last year, and he averaged 1400w for what was probably a 15 second effort. My legs hurt just thinking about it... and Sagan is more of a "hybrid" sprinter, with a strong sprint but his power curve is really more differentiated in the shorter end of the VO2Max range rather than a pure neuromuscular sprinter, where he does better on long sprints or uphill attacks, and in stages where he can stay with the lead group on climbs a more traditional sprint might fall off the back, and then demolish the GC guys in the race to the line. A peak 1800w+ power curve isn't unheard of for a World Tour sprinter... and the track guys often break 2,000w+, which is insane. :lol:

I haven't spent THAT much effort working on my sprint, really, just some 30-second-to-1:30 KOM hunting in 2020, and I really should spend some time training it, though I honestly don't reallyt know where to start since I've been so focused on building my FTP the last several seasons.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
Did we talk about creatine? I have been mostly doing the 5g/day thing, mostly just on workout days though. So 4-5 days/week. Anyone know if that is effective or just weaksauce bullshit schedule or creatine doesn't work?

EDIT: I guess we did talk about it already,nvm

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
And, from what you know, how does the workout you're describing compare to a 10k run with hard sprints?

Necro quote.

I've not done much sprinting, but my last 60 runs have been an average distance of 5 3/4 miles at an average pace of 10:16/mile with an average caloric burn of 120.40 cal/mile. My highest cal/mil have been in the low 130s - including a 13 mile trali run with 900ish feet of elevation gain last weekend (where I was underfueled and had to walk more than I want to admit). Even during my recent Ragnar my highest cal/mile was 126ish during a hot (for me, 85°F) 5.6 miles - granted that's just sleep deprivation and a lot of riding in a van, but it's the most underprepared I've felt running in a long time.

My fastest recent 10K clocked at 59:24 and burned under 800 cals. I'm about 5'7" and 160lbs, FWIW.

Burning 1000 cals in a 10K, you'd need to burn about 161.30 cal/mile, which seems like quite an increase from 120s to 130s.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Officially doing 2 shakes a day now, each serving is 30G so my daily total is just shy of ~100G a day at 230lbs; I'm sort of at a loss for where I can get more considering I'm already eating eggs/protein powder/chicken/protein bar every day I'm working out. The next steps seems to adding some sort of beef to my eggs, and maybe some almonds as a snack during the day.

I just have no idea how any gym rat my size gets 230G per day and doesn't hate being alive

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
Officially doing 2 shakes a day now, each serving is 30G so my daily total is just shy of ~100G a day at 230lbs; I'm sort of at a loss for where I can get more considering I'm already eating eggs/protein powder/chicken/protein bar every day I'm working out. The next steps seems to adding some sort of beef to my eggs, and maybe some almonds as a snack during the day.

I just have no idea how any gym rat my size gets 230G per day and doesn't hate being alive
crickets bro

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

50-60g of hydro whey easily dissolves in a 1L jug of water you can drink that instead of water. That said - the 1g per 1 lbs rule of thumb is just that - not a strict requirement for any kind of gains. Some (most?) variations of that rule claim that it's 1 lbs per lean pound so let's say at 20% body fat we're talking 180-ish grams of protein, which again is just a rule of thumb, relatively hardcore at that.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Every protein powder I've taken says you're not supposed to exceed what I'm currently at, so I don't know if more powder is the answer either; and powder + water can suck an egg, that shit is vile. Milk uber alles.

I did just realize I didn't count the 32 oz of milk's protein that I'm drinking, so that's definitely upping my intake too since I use whole milk. I'll probably just add in some almonds and maybe some tuna and call it a day. I just did a quick calc and it looks like I shockingly do fall into that 20% body fat, so I'm fine not being too far off from 180G of protein if it saves me trying to hit 230G instead.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
50-60g of hydro whey easily dissolves in a 1L jug of water you can drink that instead of water. That said - the 1g per 1 lbs rule of thumb is just that - not a strict requirement for any kind of gains. Some (most?) variations of that rule claim that it's 1 lbs per lean pound so let's say at 20% body fat we're talking 180-ish grams of protein, which again is just a rule of thumb, relatively hardcore at that.
Yeah most studies show that 0.8g-1g per kg is optimal tbh. It shouldn't be that hard to get 150-200g of protein per day tbh. I was averaging over 150g a day just from eggs, whey, and some big ass chicken breasts.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm 5'6" 140 lbs (63.5 kg) and I remember hearing the 1 g per lb of body weight. I used to get close to that but found I never could really lean out once I started gaining the weight and I'm naturally skinny as shit. When I got it down closer to .5 g I saw the same results plus the leaning out I was looking for.

I saw a doctor on YouTube once say he's basically never seen a truly protein-deficient person in the First World. It's really hard to not get enough of it and the flipside of that is you don't need to put that much of a job on your system to process by overloading your intake of it.

Dialing it back from the .7-1 g might seem counterintuitive and I'm no doctor of course but I've had great results personally.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
I'm 5'6" 140 lbs (63.5 kg) and I remember hearing the 1 g per lb of body weight. I used to get close to that but found I never could really lean out once I started gaining the weight and I'm naturally skinny as shit. When I got it down closer to .5 g I saw the same results plus the leaning out I was looking for.

I saw a doctor on YouTube once say he's basically never seen a truly protein-deficient person in the First World. It's really hard to not get enough of it and the flipside of that is you don't need to put that much of a job on your system to process by overloading your intake of it.

Dialing it back from the .7-1 g might seem counterintuitive and I'm no doctor of course but I've had great results personally.
The .8- 1g is more for people trying to bulk or maintain extra mass typically. I'd agree that it's not necessary if that's not your end goal.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The .8- 1g is more for people trying to bulk or maintain extra mass typically. I'd agree that it's not necessary if that's not your end goal.

aaaacchually this kind of protein intake would mostly factor in when cutting to prevent too much muscle loss. for bulking calories top protein (to an extent ofc we're not talking drinking a fifth of booze a day lol) which is why something like GOMAD is hard to beat for that.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
aaaacchually this kind of protein intake would mostly factor in when cutting to prevent too much muscle loss. for bulking calories top protein (to an extent ofc we're not talking drinking a fifth of booze a day lol) which is why something like GOMAD is hard to beat for that.
RDA is .8g and that's fine for a lot of people tbh. If you're really trying to bulk then I've seen literature support 1.6g-2.2g/kg . The overwhelming majority of people won't need to go beyond that, and there's very little literature supporting anything beyond 1.6g/kg tbh.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It is very hard to do. I shoot for 1:1 lbm and I rarely get close. I have roughly two shakes a day and that's 60 grams so I need another almost 100 grams and I just can't eat two chicken breasts for dinner.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
It is very hard to do. I shoot for 1:1 lbm and I rarely get close. I have roughly two shakes a day and that's 60 grams so I need another almost 100 grams and I just can't eat two chicken breasts for dinner.

Honestly, if it's good enough for you then I'm gonna say it's good enough for me :lol: Now I just need to up my daily total so I'm not in starvation mode; according to the calcs I did, my TDEE is ~3200 and currently I only eat ~1600 and that's BEFORE I workout. Buddy of mine was saying to up that by probably another small meals worth so my deficit is like, ~6/700 and I can still get muscle growth since I've stagnated.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly, if it's good enough for you then I'm gonna say it's good enough for me :lol: Now I just need to up my daily total so I'm not in starvation mode; according to the calcs I did, my TDEE is ~3200 and currently I only eat ~1600 and that's BEFORE I workout. Buddy of mine was saying to up that by probably another small meals worth so my deficit is like, ~6/700 and I can still get muscle growth since I've stagnated.

So I would also like to say a little something about this, but I don't want you to take my advice, I'd suggest you hire a nutrition coach, even if it's for just a few sessions.

For a guy like you coming down from a lot of weight, I think the approach of overloading cardio with a significant caloric deficit is a recipe for disaster in the long run. I mean yes, of course it works in the short term, but there are a lot of trainers that do not like overloading cardio due to cortisol response. In addition, weight training for maximum cal/min production will have a much more beneficial effect long term. I know junior tennis players that are hitting 3 to 4 hours a day, and they are eating around 4000 cals/day.

Back in the day there was a girl on the bodybuilding.com forums that ate 1200 cals/day, did cardio, and drank on the weekends. She was "thick chubby". She went to 2300 cals/day, weight trained, and switched to low/no sugar alcohol and over the course of about 9 months got into pretty good shape.

At the end of the day, some of the best advice I've heard is not to focus on the results, but the journey.

I like this guys approach to lifting as well:

• Love
Reactions: MFB

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
powder + water can suck an egg, that shit is vile. Milk uber alles....

Old school whey or casein etc - no doubt, esp your typical vanilla/chocolate flavors. Hydro whey dissolves in water kinda like how creatine/sugar does - totally diff beast.
Unflavored kind is barely noticeable in water so you can just drink it throughout the day instead of water. Probably too much off the deep end but in terms of actually digesting the protein you're taking - non-hydrolized kinds can benefit quite a bit from getting mixed with insulin-spiking liquid like milk. Hydro is super easy to digest, no need for milk which makes it perfect for cutting.

To each it's own though, tastes/goals etc obv differ.