Protein- what's your daily intake?

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Make your own Kefir. Super easy to do and it's very high protein, plus it blends well with protein powder/fruit, etc. Otherwise see if you can get Fage yogurt. Their greek yogurt is the highest protein on the market by far.

Holy shit that is some seriously roided Greek yoghurt.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your guy's sharing.

Hey I have a question on plant proteins sources, which I really don't do much when I think about it.

I heard popcorn is a "complete" protein but I also remember hearing you can't get truly complete proteins from a single plant source. I didn't want to argue with the guy growing the stuff.

Also, rice + beans = complete proteins? Remember hearing that too, ancient diets and all that.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score

Hey I have a question on plant proteins sources, which I really don't do much when I think about it.

I heard popcorn is a "complete" protein but I also remember hearing you can't get truly complete proteins from a single plant source. I didn't want to argue with the guy growing the stuff.

Also, rice + beans = complete proteins? Remember hearing that too, ancient diets and all that.
here's a basic overview:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/essential-amino-acids#sources-and-intake
Complete protein sources include:

• Meat
  • Seafood
  • Poultry
  • Eggs
  • Dairy Products
Soy, quinoa and buckwheat are plant-based foods that contain all nine essential amino acids, making them complete protein sources as well .

Other plant-based sources of protein like beans and nuts are considered incomplete, as they lack one or more of the essential amino acids.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Almost, but not quite

Mexican food (rice, beans, corn) is nutritionally sufficient complete proteins if you go veg... pretty sure I read somewhere corn was part of the formula to avoid deficiencies of some important something-or-other

Also, afaik, buckwheat is pretty good (and provides a liveable ~80 g / 2k kcals or a workable 120 g / 3k kcals). Just dump in water in a 2:1 ratio and nuke it for 20 mins, then add butter or oil or onions or salsa or something to taste.

Last edited:

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll go out and burn anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 calories on the type of ride I'm describing, and on rare occasions Strava has estimated I've gone over 7,000. Yes, I'm 100% about the pass the F out. :lol: We're not talking about getting your blood sugar from neutral to elevated, we're talking about getting sugar back into your blood, period. :lol:

Thanks, this is helpful - I'll do some reading. :yesway:

How do you calculate this?

And, from what you know, how does the workout you're describing compare to a 10k run with hard sprints?

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
I'm doing some weight training stuff right now, so I try to do the general rule of 1g per 1lb body weight. ~170-180g a day ideally is what I take in (though I do keep it loose and will get less than that pretty often, closer to the .7 most likely but it varies). I was using an app to track my macros, and it's not so bad to hit the protein intake as much as it is to watch my fats intake. Ughhhh.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

And, from what you know, how does the workout you're describing compare to a 10k run with hard sprints?
I ride with a power meter, so my Garmin head unit has a very accurate measurement of kilojoule output. I haven't actually spent a lot of time reading how they go from that to calories burned, an there's clearly a bit of modeling going on to account for baseline metabolic function and whatnot, but I'd say the data I'm getting is about as good as I'm going to get outside of a lab. Generally output in kilojoules ties out closely, but not exactly, to estimated calories burned, for whatever it's worth.

As a very broad rule of thumb, I've found that on non-interval workout rides I probably burn something like 600-800 calories an hour, up to about 1,000 for threshold work where I'm not expecting to be able to hold the pace/output for much longer than an hour. So, the biggest ride I've done on Strava with an actual power meter (Strava has an alogorithm to estimate calories burned without one, but while it seems to be in the right ballpark, it's definitely less precise) was nearly 10 hours and 165 miles from my place in Boston up to central Vermont, with an estimated output of 6,295kJ and estimated calories burned of 6,305.

As to how that compares in difficulty to a 10k with sprint intervals... I mean, they're radically different workouts, I'm hardly a great runner myself but I could get up to a sub-60-minute 10k with a little bit of ramp up time, mostly just to get my legs used to a different set of motions (DOMS kicks my ass when I start running when I haven't run in a while). I'd guess, though, based on the fact that a one-hour threshold ride for me is about a thousand calories, if you and I are similar sizes (6', 185) then absent any actual data to work with I'd guess that's about a thousand calorie workout, too?

But, like, when I say endurance, I mean endurance. :lol: I'm talking 3-5 hour strenuous rides for the most part when I'm running up these sorts of calorie deficits, occasionally well beyond that. That one up to VT from here, when I rolled into the hotel I was staying at a little after dark, I was crashing so hard my peripherial vision was getting hazy, I was extremely light headed, and since I'm a dumbass and decided I needed to take a celebratory shower beer up to my room with me to get cleaned up before eating something and promptly crashed so hard I was too nauseous to really eat and had to take my dinner back to m room to go. It was NOT pretty. :lol: I keep a couple cans of root beer in the house for those days, just so in an emergency I can get some sugar back into my bloodstream after completely cracking and hitting a point where I'm too nauseous to really eat.

EDIT - the real problem with that165 miler, come to think of it, was I fell behind on nutrition early on (I was planning on eating a Gu packet once an hour, and stopped three hours and 65 miles in feeling pretty weak for some reason, to get more water and refuel a little, and when I went to empty out my jersey pockets, realized I'd only eaten two, not three, at 100 calories each), spent the next two or three hours trying to dig myself out of that hole, and 20 miles from the end, almost stopped to buy something else to eat, thought "no, I can muscle through another 20, and I want to beat nightfall," and didn't realize until I hit the base of it that miles 10 to go through 5 to go were a giant climb with 1,000 feet plus of vertical elevation gain. I blew up HARD getting to the top of that, and I don't think I've ever put myself so deeply in the hole.

Last edited:

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup, like 98-99% same size actually

Feels like a lot more than 1000 kcals though... but I have a very odd grossly inefficient high burn / easy gain metabolism (alas, it's easy muscles but also easy gut)

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
Almost, but not quite

Mexican food (rice, beans, corn) is nutritionally sufficient complete proteins if you go veg... pretty sure I read somewhere corn was part of the formula to avoid deficiencies of some important something-or-other

Also, afaik, buckwheat is pretty good (and provides a liveable ~80 g / 2k kcals or a workable 120 g / 3k kcals). Just dump in water in a 2:1 ratio and nuke it for 20 mins, then add butter or oil or onions or salsa or something to taste.

That's it, corn. Corn and beans was the mix I remember being told about while at Montezuma's Castle.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
That's it, corn. Corn and beans was the mix I remember being told about while at Montezuma's Castle.

There used to be (and I guess still is) a very popular myth that you needed to eat "complementary proteins" at each meal (eg, eating corn and beans together). That originated in a 1971 book "Diet for a Small Planet" by Frances Moore Lappé. The idea got picked up in an article in Vogue magazine in 1975 and became very popular. There was no evidence backing it though and Lappé issued a retraction, but that didn't spread as widely as the original idea.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yup, like 98-99% same size actually

Feels like a lot more than 1000 kcals though... but I have a very odd grossly inefficient high burn / easy gain metabolism (alas, it's easy muscles but also easy gut)
I mean, for what it's worth, I'm not much of a runner at all, but I've done the occasional 5 and 10k here and there. My fastest paced 10k - actually just shy at about 6.01 miles per my Garmin watch - was a 9:11 pace in 55:12, which for me was about all out race pace, if not intervals. Strava estimates, using their running alorithm which I'm sure includes things like height and weight, as well as running pace, gradient, and heart rate, had me at about 728 calories.

I suspect it's very hard to burn more than a thousand calories an hour. :lol:

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There used to be (and I guess still is) a very popular myth that you needed to eat "complementary proteins" at each meal (eg, eating corn and beans together). That originated in a 1971 book "Diet for a Small Planet" by Frances Moore Lappé. The idea got picked up in an article in Vogue magazine in 1975 and became very popular. There was no evidence backing it though and Lappé issued a retraction, but that didn't spread as widely as the original idea.

Not EVERY meal... but the problem of modern DIY nutrition is that we lose the logic behind traditional folk cuisines

Such things like how you'll get sick if you subsist on Mexican ingredients but skip the corn, or meat and potatoes being "excellent" for creating weight gain (traditionally very sensible use of resources, these days maybe not such a good thing), or most "spices" in Indian cuisine actually being herbal remedies for endemic parasites and diseases

If you mix and match random fairly healthy things from different traditions to taste, you can screw up pretty hard

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Boy howdy does this thread make me feel bad, I only eat one meal a day and do a protein shake for lunch, so that's at least 30G of protein right there but I honestly can't imagine my daily intake being higher than 60G at most :lol:

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Boy howdy does this thread make me feel bad, I only eat one meal a day and do a protein shake for lunch, so that's at least 30G of protein right there but I honestly can't imagine my daily intake being higher than 60G at most :lol:

Unless you’re doing some really athletic shit, or lifting seriously, I don’t think you really need to be up there.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For dem nighttime gainz breh. Protein pudding.

9-DAB06-BF-9-B44-47-F0-8-F8-C-1-C3514225443.jpg

I like a lot of their products. Just came across this one. We used to get another "protein pudding" made by Body Nutrition, but it is impossible to find now.

My wife actually uses it mostly in pancake mix for our kids in the morning, then we'll be getting them on those trenbologna sandwiches soon.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

By the way, bumping this because an ex-pro cyclist I follow on Instagram was going after the fastest known time for a 430 mile course with something like 45,000 feet of climbing (which is ludicrous), and while I don't know what his official elapsed time was or if he set it, he was out in the saddle for two days, plus or minus a couple hours at either end, with three hours of sleep and the occasional stop for food.

A little earlier today he posted a picture of a couple of awesome-looking take-out pizzas with a comment to the effect of "Just burned 25,000 calories, don't mind if I do."

So, while that's, ahem, not a normal amount of riding for any sane person to do, that's kinda what I was getting at that for cycling most post-ride protein supplements are also focused on replenishment and not just getting as much protein as you can into your body.

EDIT - that also kind of explains my original question fairly well, I think - pretty clearly, the metabolic demands of endurance cycling are quite a bit different from weight lifting, which is where I see protein discussed the most.

EDIT #2 - Unrelatedly, is anyone else bothered, and constantly correcting the misspelling, by the fact that "protein" violates the age-old "I before E except after C" mantra?

Last edited:

Bevo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, question I've always wondered, and without having a more specialized (i.e - cycling) audience to ask, you all are probably the best bet.

As an endurance athlete, with no interest in bulking up (quite the reverse, if I were 10-15lbs lighter than I am now at my current power output I'd be a fucking monster), and mostly interested in building sustained power output over time (my sprint power is pretty good, wouldn't mind it being higher, but then again for a weightlifter even a 15-second interval is probably on the longer end, much less something like a five minute, twenty minute, or hour long interval), is there any point at all to protein supplements?

I've been using a Skratch Labs recovery drink after harder workouts mostly because their horchata mix is fucking delicious, but it's primarily intended to provide some protein while getting your blood sugar back up to a normal realm after depleting it, and honestly if the protein itself isn't especially important for an endurance athlete whose primary goal is maximizing power output to weight, then it's a heck of a lot cheaper just to crack a root beer after a ride, than to mix up a $33-for-12-servings shake. :lol:

As an endurance guy I struggled with power on the bike and recovery. Guys I rode with could do massive back to back day but my legs were toast. I found that even eating a ton I did not ever get over 100grams of protein. Once I used an app to track my food I got up to 160 daily for my 160lb weight. My recovery was faster, power numbers jumped, my FTP went up 30 watts in a week and I leaned out.
Thanks for the reminder, I have been off for a few years racing motorcycles and getting hurt. Been on Zwift but under 100 grams a day again, need to get back on it!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
...my FTP went up 30 watts in a week and I leaned out.
IMO, that's much more typical of overtraining and not adequately recovering, than it is of a sudden increase in strength.

I've had that experience a couple times, most notably in the summer of 2020 when I was doing a LOT of KOM hunting on my lunch break on some of the short, punchy climbs in my neighborhood, and then longer, harder rides on the weekend, and was riding almost every single day, usually with either some max effort sprinting or sustained high output VO2Max-to-threshold efforts, and wasn't really taking rest of recovery days. My FTP was pegged at 305-310 or so and hadn't budged in months, but then in late July and early August I went up to Acadia with my fiancee for a long weekend, to hike and ride the carraige paths, and for a number of reasons ended up not riding for a few days in a row before we got up there. We spent one day doing a long (for her) ride around the carraige paths and then since I was being a pretty good sport, she let me take a run at the KOM on my favorite trail, the Around the Mountain path, starting on the Jordan Pond side. With fresh legs, I both took the KOM on an 8.5mi segment by a solid minute, and set a new Garmin-estimated FTP of 322, with a peak 20-minute effort of 338w and 330w+ on my peak efforts power curve out past 25 minutes, including a few rolling sections where I was descending on gravel and definitely not keeping my power effort dimed.

The thing I learned most from that experience was that rest days are REALLY important. :lol: