Protein- what's your daily intake?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Seabeast2000, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Eggs? Peanut butter?

You trying to make the best use of all that money wasted on medical insurance before you check out early?

2. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

Hahah I don't pay any medical insurance, I'm in Spain. Free healthcare! Why do you think I'm going to die early? This is the only way that has given me results. There's big guys doing 10 egg omelettes regularly..It's all a bit of a lottery. Some people can have vices like smoking, drinking, eating unhealthy and live to 90, others make efforts to be healthy and die early. I'd rather not obsess with that..

3. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

It’s really incredible, isn’t it? I used to go to a gym with a guy that was in great shape, very healthy, and had a stroke at 42. The same day they took him in, a triathlete a few years younger was admitted with a stroke too but sadly passed that afternoon. My buddy recovered just fine after a few weeks.

Then I’ve worked out with guys that were absolutely jacked and shredded and lived off of pizza, beer, and Marlboro Lights. Go figure.

I just try to float somewhere in the middle, and give my body something bad every once in a while so it knows what’s up.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

There are lots of other reasons people end up having issues like that eg genetic predisposition, steroid usage, chronic stress, etc. Honestly genetics is the main thing. Some people just have narrower arteries and a higher likelihood of atherosclerosis/stroke, regardless of how hard they work out/eat well.
    Diet is secondary and avoiding salted/cured meats and frozen/prepared foods mitigates high blood pressure/ stroke/etc to an extent.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  5. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Was the 42 yo stroke guy maybe experimenting with various chemical shortcuts?

6. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

No, very clean and healthy guy. They ruled out genetics/family history. I will say this, and he said this too: He drank 2 of the big screw top can Monsters every day, and the doctors are strongly leaning toward that as the culprit.

7. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

lol this is true. If you don't get enough fiber and whatnot and have a high protein diet, it turns into messy poops real quick. hahaha

8. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Yeah a small, unnoticed thin spot on the wall of a brain vessel gives out after 40 or 50 years. Poof.

Going to have a double half pound burger for lunch. No fries and unsweetened ice tea.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hey, question I've always wondered, and without having a more specialized (i.e - cycling) audience to ask, you all are probably the best bet.

As an endurance athlete, with no interest in bulking up (quite the reverse, if I were 10-15lbs lighter than I am now at my current power output I'd be a fucking monster), and mostly interested in building sustained power output over time (my sprint power is pretty good, wouldn't mind it being higher, but then again for a weightlifter even a 15-second interval is probably on the longer end, much less something like a five minute, twenty minute, or hour long interval), is there any point at all to protein supplements?

I've been using a Skratch Labs recovery drink after harder workouts mostly because their horchata mix is fucking delicious, but it's primarily intended to provide some protein while getting your blood sugar back up to a normal realm after depleting it, and honestly if the protein itself isn't especially important for an endurance athlete whose primary goal is maximizing power output to weight, then it's a heck of a lot cheaper just to crack a root beer after a ride, than to mix up a $33-for-12-servings shake. :lol:

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  10. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Aww damn I live off that crap

Any idea if he was doing anything that was "asking for it", like trying to run a marathon or staying up for a week? Or just regularly chugging his monsters and going about his day?

11. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Why would you want your blood sugar up after an endurance workout? Screw that, keep it the hell down unless you're about to pass the f out

My distance is 10k interval sprints, my performance is far far better if I stay away from carbs entirely. Ribeye fuels better results than carbs.

After workout - iced salted lemon water, light protein meal (~12 oz fish or chicken) couple hours later.

12. KnightBrolaire

Protein intake is useful regardless of whether you're focusing on endurance or strength output. For endurance sports you're trying to mitigate catabolysis (fancy way of saying the body cannibalizes muscle) and maintain/promote anabolic (muscle growth) states, same as the rest of us. The real question is whether you're pushing yourself to a point where that's more likely to happen (also not eating as much as you need will lead to catabolysis). Most of the data I've seen is pushing whole foods (eg dairy like cottage cheese or such) or a casein based derivative as being the best option tbh.
    https://www.nutrition.org.uk/health...le/eating-for-sport-and-exercise.html?start=2
    https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0157406
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33384615/
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27899900/
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28642676/

Seabeast2000 and MetalheadMC like this.
  13. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I would say yes on if there's a point to protein. You need muscle for power. Muscle takes protein. Track and field athletes/sprinters most definitely hit their daily protein and calorie intake. They do lift as well. I'd say every athlete on a pro level lifts to come degree too, or does some kind of resistance training.

TL: DR: protein is the foundation/the building block. It's probably most important to get that. The other stuff can fluctuate a bit more.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  14. MetalheadMC

MetalheadMC SS.org Regular

Protein is essential for recovery plain and simple. You don't necessarily need 1g/lb of bodyweight and so forth. Just as long as you feel that you're recovering from what you're doing. Coupled with other proper rest methods too of course

15. MetalheadMC

MetalheadMC SS.org Regular

Normal day
    Breakfast
    2 scoops of protein
    Banana or some small amount of carbs

Meal 1
    8oz 90/10 beef
    1.5 cups of white rice

Meal 2
    Same as 1

Meal 3
    Same as 1

Meal 4
    Post workout Same as Breakfast

Meal 5
    Dinner is a wildcard. Not too picky as long as I eat.

My diet isn't super clean as I was eating for strength and not to be shredded. I'll add small sugars here and there just for more calories.

Biggest thing I did was swapping from chicken to beef. Beef has more calories and fat that chicken doesn't. So that helped initially. If I get burned out on beef, which I do, i swap to chicken for a while and add peanut butter, or peanuts for fats.

16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

He got up at 5 and would run 3 miles before even lifting. He did do runs, half marathons, stuff like that. Come to think of it, his husband was a few years older and pretty damn huge, so I never thought about it but it wouldn't surprise me if he dabbled in the gear (the husband possibly). The were both very short haired to bald and I will sometimes look for male pattern baldness to try to gauge what kind of stuff they're using. But I still would highly doubt he would use but man you never know these days. I see out of shape as shit guys on cycles.

17. KnightBrolaire

there is also newer gens of gear that don't adversely affect hair growth like sarms (at least in smaller cycles). All of that shit is questionable at the dosages some of these broscientists are using them though

18. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Well sign me up! I need to get a little bigger and stronger than my wife, her myfitnesspal says she needs 159 g of protein a day!

19. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I figured it was going to look something like that, but I thought breakfast was going to be 6 eggs, 6 egg whites and I thought dessert was going to be a whole container of fat free cottage cheese!

20. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Maltitol sugarfree chocolate from Trader Joe's

It'll make anything poop

Seabeast2000 and thebeesknees22 like this.