Proper gauges for C# Standard Tunning

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BuiltToDestroy2502, May 2, 2017.

1. BuiltToDestroy2502

BuiltToDestroy2502 SS.org Regular

So, I didn't know where to post this and I've posted about the problems with having over double double the action I'd like on my guitar already, so I'm gonna test out new strings to see if it helps. I'm currently using the Elixir Heavy set, .012, .016, .024w, .032, .042, .052, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for C# Standard string gauges for a Floyd Rose guitar.

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

There is no such thing as 'proper gauge for _____ tuning'. You can find people using 8-38 gauge, as well as 9-42, 9-46, 10-46, 11-...... and so on just for E standard tuning--and that's not even taking into account those who use custom gauges. It's all based on personal preference. If you're having issues with action on your FR that's because you need to set it up properly; once properly set up for the tuning and string gauge you then set your desired action in the process.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

What don't you like about your current set? Which individual strings are too loose or too tight?

4. Stooly

Stooly SS.org Regular

I like using

D'Addario EXL115 Nickel Wound, Medium/Blues-Jazz Rock, 11-49 for my band that tunes to C# standard. I tried different sets and that was the sweet spot.

5. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

I used to run a set of 11-52's for c# standard and I'd honestly reccommend bumping the guage because I still found them too light.

6. aprilia4life

aprilia4life SS.org Regular

This works for me on C Standard, and I like strings a little on the loose side, so tuning up a half step would be pretty good.

PL011
    PL015
    NW022
    NW030
    NW042
    NW056

TheDandy likes this.
  7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Seconded

8. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I use the D'addario 10-52 light top heavy bottom set for Drop C and C# on my guitars and feel that it's perfect. I'm not sure if you dislike your current 12-52 set becuase it's too loose but I have most of my guitars set up with them. It's definitely a little tighter on my shorter scale PRS's but still great.