Progressive Christian Music

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not saying they are "progressive", per se, but perhaps worth looking into.

August Burns Red
Fit For A King
Oh, Sleeper

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Basically no help here but…

The only genuinely, unabashedly Christian album that shows up in my rotation is God My Rock from Brenton Brown. Basically a live album that really got me into Nashville-esque tele tones (so not in any way, shape, or form metal).

I kind of feel like Sevendust is a band of (at least two) Christians who aren’t afraid to say so, but also just write about all the struggles they’ve had in this life. Even though they’re not flashy (or prog) I feel like they’re about as genuine as it gets.

Metallica and Megadeth already had the “hooks of metal” in me, but Astrocreep 2000 pushed me over the edge as far as focusing on music and (mostly) ignoring the lyrics with that massive guitar tone. I haven’t gotten to a point where I’m ready to give up Meshuggah, Revocation, Good Tiger, Mastodon, etc. etc. That’s not to say one should have to, but at the end of the day it is a bit hypocritical of me.

I’ll definitely have to check out some of those mentioned in this thread. It’s a shame that the “Christian music” industry is just like any other commercial market, but that’s the way the world works. I told myself that I would “make Christian music that I actually wanted to listen to” and then proceeded to plop out 4 tracks that were as white-bread as anything. :p

Last edited:

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
U2. Not heavy, but definitely Christian and have interesting songs. Achtung Baby and Zooropa especially had some wilder experimental stuff.

Thrice. Not overtly Christian, but the singer definitely is and it shows in their lyrical content. Vhiessu is one of their more unusual albums.

Mutemath. Similarly to Thrice, it's not necessarily overt but really tells in their lyrics. A lot of their stuff is prog-adjacent.

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Fleshkiller
Damn dude, almost like Revocation meets DTP! Almost wish they’d simplify the time signatures occasionally to give you a chance to breath, but this stuff is legit.

Here’s to hoping they pull off a second record!

Last edited: