Production and Tone Advice Please! (Axe FX, Carvin, BKPs)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by RagtimeDandy, Jul 29, 2013.

1. RagtimeDandy

RagtimeDandy On a Musical Journey

Hey guys so I'm looking for tips on how to improve the production of this song. I'm going for a huge sound and I feel like the drums feel really weak. I think the mix is pretty good so far and I like the tones, but the overall feel of the drums is really mono and weak by comparison. Any recommendations are welcome! Also critiques on the flow of the song are quite welcomed :agreed:

The title is deliberately nonsensical btw :fawk:

https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns/cnsf-the-tale-of-chunga

I'm using AXE FX2 with a Carvin DC727 and a Blackhawk pickup, recording direct into Reaper where I use all VSTs and mixing. I do the final touches in Wavepad.

Thanks for listening and for any advice you can give :)

ZachK likes this.
  2. ZachK

ZachK Ronda Rousey Fanboy

I think the kick drum is lacking a little bit. I like how focused it is, but I feel like it could be a bit boomier at the same time.

When I mix drums I tend to have a High Pass Filter on the kick, with plenty of compression, that way all the unwanted frequencies are gone and I can boost the articulation. Same for the snare, but with a low pass filter instead.

Maybe duplicate the drum tracks, make sure that there's no phase issues, especially on the cymbals and go from there and try to blend them a bit. Pan each hard left and hard right and add some more compression and de ess them and what not.

Do you run a master fader at all? I'm not familiar with Reaper all that much, but if you don't have a master fader I'd add one.

Other than that I really like the song. The guitars are nice and in your face while still being articulate. I was having some trouble hearing the bass (was there one?) Maybe add in some more bass guitar stuff to help accentuate thigns a bit more.

Really cool song man, I really like the other stuff on your Soundcloud too. +rep to you man. The title makes me think of Frank Zappa. Hard.

3. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Guitars are considerably high than the drums and, as mentioned above by ZachK, the kick drum needs some more punch. Very nice playing though. I want to hear this when it's updated.

4. octavarium7

octavarium7 Cloud Constructor

sick harmonix breakdown ^_^-b