problems with guitar clipping interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by zarg, Sep 8, 2018.

1. zarg

zarg SS.org Regular

hi!

I record a lot of my guitar stuff at home and always used my m-audio interface and that worked great.
    I usually record my six string guitars with a DiMarzio Dominion in the bridge position and the input on my interface doesn't clip until I run about 70% of the input gain.
    Now I recently got a JS22-7 and wanted to do some seven string stuff and found out that the guitar is clipping. Even with the input gain at the lowest it will go, it's still clipping hard. The Jackson still has stock pickups, I doubt they are THAT hot, are they? I'm already using the Instrument in, there's no additional pad.
    this issue creates some pretty awful sounding DIs whenever I record with that particular guitar. Even when I set the pickup height lower than I would it still does it, until at some point it stops but that low makes the sound of the guitar unusable.

any advice?
    thanks!

2. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

You'll need a DI box based on what you're describing. No other way around it.

zarg likes this.