Problems wiring a CTS push pull pot

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Reinholderx, May 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Reinholderx

Reinholderx SS.org Regular

I've been trying to install a push pull pot (to replace a regular pot) and I'm clearly doing some wrong. Currently, if I plug in, I get a loud hum and but no sound from the guitar.

The pickups are bareknuckles and I was following this diagram:
    https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/upload/support/20_132fcee.pdf
    Using a 3 way toggle instead of a three way blade switch but the rest is the same.

I've also watched the video Bareknuckle have on the CTS pots:

In one thing I can think might be causing it is how the tone is grounded. In the diagram it looked like tab 1 and 3 on the CTS pot should be connected. So I have a wire connecting tab 3 to tab 1, and then the ground lug on the pot when then goes to the ground point on the back of the volume pot. I thought this would have been the neatest way to do it with the minimum number of connections but I now i think I've messed it up. I've attached images to show my rats nest. I've hooked up plenty of pickups to regular vol and tone pots but this is my first attempt at a push pull. Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Dave Death

Dave Death SS.org Regular

All you need to do is run ground wires from the back of the ones it talks about, I think they are 1 and 3, solder them to the sides of the pot. The green and white wires go in through the front. C1 and C2. Then run a ground wire from the casing of the pot to the other pot and to the sleeve contact of the jack etc, depending on diagram / setup. In your photos it looks like you have the white and green going around the back of the PCB somehow. They should just go into C1 and C2 from the front

The main thing you have to remember is that the push-pull switch is just a switch to change the connections of the four conductor wiring, it is not part of the signal path except when it inverts phase or changes the pickup coils to parallel instead of series. With coil splitting it is really simple. You are just grounding out the screw coil by connecting the green and white wires to ground. But this means that you must ensure that the path to ground is there from the switch

Reinholderx likes this.
  3. Dave Death

On the Impulse the screw coil is the coil that the pickup wires come out of. If you want the coil closest to the fingerboard to be active when split you just spin the pickup 180 degrees, so that both screw coils face the bridge. This is what I am going to do with my PT Apocalypse today if all goes to plan. The pickup will sound a bit different when reversed because the Impulse neck is asymmetrical (unlike the Black Hawk neck) but it should be okay

Reinholderx likes this.
  4. Reinholderx

Thanks I'll give that a shot. With C1 and C2 I'd fed them around the back cos I thought that was the standard way to connect these pots.
    If I run 1 and 3 of the pcb to the side of the tone pot, and lug 1 of the pot is connected to the tone pot, would i just run a connection from lug 1 to the ground point on the back of the volume pot?

The only other thing I can think of is I've connected the ground wires of the pickups to the ground lug on the 3 way switch which is then connected back to the casing of the volume pot.

Dave Death likes this.
  5. Dave Death

If your Tele is 24 fret maybe put the neck pickup in the conventional way, that's what I just did with my PT Apocalypse. I will put in reversed in my 22 fret Squier Contemporary Telecaster RH and see if that sounds good. There can tend to be a bit of a dead spot around the 25th/26th fret area, so having the pickup coil active that is around the 27th fret mark (like on my Stiletto) can be better.

6. Dave Death

You have to be really careful of grounding pickups to the switch. I did this on my Schecter C-6 Pro and the neck pickup didn't work. I moved the pickup ground wires to the back of the volume pot and all was well.

The metal housing of the pot just has to be grounded to the jack after you solder the wires from 1 and 3 soldered to the metal housing. Running the pickup wires into the front is just easier I think

Is this a Jim Root Tele? Don't they only have the one volume pot, and no tone pot? The diagram is for a HH super strat setup

7. Reinholderx

Sorry this is a different guitar. It’s a PRS I’ve had for years but when I got it it didn’t have the push pull (pickups had already been swapped and there was a three way toggle instead of the rotary switch).
    That JR Tele has been a long term work in progress

Dave Death likes this.
  8. Reinholderx

Ok this is a bit embarrassing but in case anyone stumbles across this in the future. When using braided wire for the jack double check the braiding has a solid connection to the ground point (the volume pot in my case). :p

Dave Death likes this.