Problem with Edge Zero 6 - strings violently pop out of saddles?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Opion, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Hey guys, I've been having an issue with one of my guitars, so I figured instead of moping over my misfortune I'd come to all you more experienced fellas with this strange tale to see if any of y'all know what to do.

I own an Ibby RG2570, this particular model has an Edge Zero tremolo. I'd never had major problems with this particular bridge, that is until about a few months ago, when one of my strings kept slipping out the saddle (i'd stretched the strings out, detuned, even swapped saddles and narrowed it down to one particular block). No big deal, order a new saddle, right? Everything is peachy. Things happen.

Not exactly. Restringing my guitar last night w/ new D'addarios, after carefully going through the motions of restringing, strings would start to pop out on my other saddles. But that's normal, right? You gotta be gentle with a floating trem, I've known this for years....WRONG...after one string would pop, every single one of my strings would pop out at the EXACT SAME TIME. And I'm talking violently popping out. Even in the saddle I just got a new replacement part for. :nuts: This happened about 3 times last night until I gave up.

Now, I've heard of the horror stories people have with this particular tremolo. But is my case an oddball, or has this happened before? Am i just doing something wrong? I've NEVER had every single string pop out all at once, and frankly this is highly upsetting. This issue just recently started happening, everything had been working perfectly before this. Now I'm stuck with a Prestige that I can't even enjoy :wallbash:

Thanks for reading if you got this far. If anybody has any pointers and/or more experience with this trem, please point me in the right direction! Or any direction for that matter :bowdown: Thanks!

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

That's very strange, I've never encountered something like that. My Floyd and Floyd-like trems have suffered the occasional pop out. But all 6 is quite odd, have you tried blocking your tremolo while restringing? Like keeping it stable while you change the strings? And then once you're done release the block, all this should do is let your guitar float in the same position it was while blocked.

Replacing the entire trem is quite the ridiculous solution on a guitar that recent. I've played Floyds from the 90's that are perfect, with all original parts and I didn't have a single issue. The Edge Zero trems are excellent in my opinion, I've played quite a few of them and owned about 4 at this point, they have a great feel to them and the locking studs are always a great factor for me.

3. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

I actually did try that exact same thing - I stuck a lighter in the block to make it level while I was restringing, in order to relieve unnecessary tension. As soon as I'd get it close to pitch I'd release it and it'd be close enough to level to not need it, but then it would eventually explode and all the strings would pop.

Replacing the tremolo would definitely be a very expensive modification, and i'm unable to use a Tremol-no with an Edge Zero. At the very least, I have a very experienced guitar tech that I recently became acquaintances with, so I may end up giving him a ring and seeing if he knows how to deal with this.

The good thing is that this isn't my main guitar, I'm just disappointed seeing as I got such an awesome deal on this guitar used. I'm probably never going to buy a guitar with a floating trem ever again after this.

4. Nag

Nag chugs and screams

I've had this happening once with a 68 gauge on my Premium (Edge Zero II but still similar I guess). The string was just too big and would snap out. I have a 62 in there right now and everything's fine.

What gauge was it that jumped out of the saddle ?

5. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

This might sound condescending, but whenever mine pop out the following seemed to solve it....

A. Always use the "uncut" end of the string in the saddle
    B. Open the saddle all the way so there is a gaping gap before putting the string in. Then insert the string, it should go way down into the bridge. Tighten it up while making sure the string is still sitting deep in the bridge.

Whenever i get strings popping out, i make sure i'm following the above steps, and it seems to solve it. Good luck!!

6. Force

Force Jackson Addict

This is a case for Mulder & Scully.........................

I've recently learned that using a heavier gauge string then going back to 9-42 is a stupid thing to do. My saddles need replacing now as the trench from the thicker strings wont allow the smaller gauge strings to hold in place.

7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

You could definitely try this, also I recommend using a capo as close to the neck pickup as possible, barre the strings down so they don't fly up into your face while you're trying to restring.

Safety first! :hbang:

8. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

I've TOTALLY experienced this with both of my edge zeros. I like what VB said and the idea that the bridge needs to be be totally level.

When I change strings now:

-I put a sock in the trem first but whammying down, stuff it in, let it back up. REALLY techie :lol:
    -when I remove the strings I always tighten those crappy little saddles lightly to make SURE they don't go anywhere.
    -I always string from the ball-ends at the head to the bridge. I cut the string at about where the fine tuners are.
    -Then I loosen up the saddles just enough for the string to go in. MAKE SURE THEY ARE AS DEAD CENTER AS POSSIBLE. When I clamp them in place, I apply generous but not excessive tightness. Once all the strings are on I go back and double check to make sure that they are quite snug. Chuck Norris strength, not Schwarzenegger strength :D
    -Once I have all the string done I get a basic tune up. I NEVER pull the strings up but move them side-to-side to stretch. I also do some basic string bends and such to make sure things are settled. It's not a bad idea to re-check the saddles for tightness and make sure one hasn't come loose.

Once going through this for a while I remove the sock and now rarely have the issue.

9. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Thank you for all the replies everyone.

I've dealt with Floyd tremolos for years, so all these issues I've had to deal with multiple times. It might be a case of me not following through with some careful steps like chrisharbin detailed, and it might also be a case of the Edge Zero just being a total unpredictable bastard. :squint:

I've already cut the ball ends off, so that's something I won't be able to go abck and try...
    I most likely am going to try and be very careful with restringing the next time I try to tackle this bastard. Maybe my string-stretching techniques need a little update? :lol:
    And yeah, dead-center is what I always try to accomplish, but it sometimes doesn't work that well. Gonna try to look into doing it more evenly.

Before when I used to restring, I wouldn't level the bridge, but instead would let the natural tension of the strings slowly pull it up (because, hey, what else would Ibanex expect any idiot to do otherwise). Then go about my normal string-stretching technique, which is get the string between two fingers and gently pinch all the way up the neck. Still confused as to why these methods stopped working, but for now, I'll chalk it up to a combination of Edge Zero bad-juju and my lack of experience with said trem. :ugh:

10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Same exact method I use to restring my locking tremolos. Ball end at the tuning machines has never failed me and is awesome to tune up since it leaves little to no slack left over, so you don't have a huge winding mess under the ball end. One other thing you could try, is running a bit of sandpaper against the part that makes contact with the string where you tighten with the allen wrench. That'll give the piece a bit more grip and handling over the string, that would be a good solution without having to spend more than 10$.

11. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

It's different than other locking trems, you're totally right. I was just giving my step by step because I haven't had the problem for a while so I just wanted to say what I did so that maybe something would jive.

It wasn't meant as a "you don't know what you are doing" thing :) I think it's a bit screwy and you can actually see that those little tiny T things are kinda chinsy. By comparison, a FR or my edge pros I think are superior. But I DO like the way the edge zeros feel (once the stop block is taken out)

12. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Haha, no worries man, I definitely didn't think you were trying to sound condescending! :yesway:

The edge zero is actually a neat tremolo, what with not having to take the backplate off every time you need to adjust the trem's level. My universe's edge pro is way superior to this one in feel and durability, but I couldn't complain when I found this RG on guitar center used for $500 :)

The stop block, is that the extra bit of springs/little bar that you can remove from the main spring/claw mechanism? Because I had removed that earlier before this all started happening and noticed an increase in sustain/clearer sound! But when the trem started acting up I thought that it might be contributing to the increase in tension, so I put it back in...when I get a moment to restring this sucker I'll let you know my results :wavey:

13. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

If it comes down to it, add a bit of grip the the small blocks you tighten with some sandpaper like I suggested, it'll give it more grab on the string.

And honestly I prefer the Zero Point System, which is that bar system with the springs. I don't use the trem for more than a slight vibrato clean, and mine is set up in a way that allows for me to tune to Drop D/Standard or Drop A/B Standard, and the other strings don't go out whatsoever. Sometimes the B or the G will go 2 cents sharp but it's very rare and an easy fix. I love this tremolo.

14. Evo109

Evo109 New Member

How do i get the trem level?? I have stock strings in atm i think they r 9's (first floating trem here...) ( im a floob - ha) neway practising and my low e pops all the time its a piss off - i literally got rg370fmz at the weekend and hav spent countless hours readin about the trem since but im still lost - any ref points where the arrow on the + - scale shud be for 11's?? First day i got this guitar i slightly overtightened lock nut and snapped high e lol was pissed! Any help is appreciated this is a ladt resort as i dnt wanna bug u all with my floob questions!! Thx

15. MicrobeSS

MicrobeSS SS.org Regular

You're grammar bugs me more than the question :ugh:

16. Evo109

Evo109 New Member

ye i see that...no problem i figured it out anyway, cheers

(i typed that last post at 4.30am with my iphone lol not in a happy mood...)

17. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

You're grammar ???? :)

18. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

:rofl:

19. MicrobeSS

MicrobeSS SS.org Regular

:ugh:

20. Evo109

Evo109 New Member

lol awesome - i missed that! well spotted lol!