Price of lumber on the rise

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 14, 2021.

1. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

So this is hitting the Canadian markets rather hard, but i'm sure it would impact other sources too.
    With the rise of lumber, its directly increasing the price of homes.

I'm sure that would also impact Canadian Guitar companies such as Godin et. al (Seagull, Art & Lutherie etc).

I wonder how this would impact guitar manufacturing world wide. Over the last few years, mid-tier guitars have really skyrocketed in price, and guess this will just boost everything else up accordingly.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Whoever decided we should export raw lumber and buy it back as finished goods really had their thinking cap on :rant:.

3. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

its gotten so bad here the new office chairs don't even have the lumbar support option. i'm taking the boards out of my house and selling them on CL for a pretty hefty profit.

vertigo08 and c7spheres like this.
  4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

It's skyrocketing in the US too. I saw a few weeks ago that it was due to the mills being short. They can't keep up with the demand, but they have more than enough tree suppliers.

the info I found few weeks ago was saying that the tree suppliers prices haven't increased in years. So this all lies with the mills themselves, and it's pretty much the first time there's been this big of a disconnect between the mill prices and the tree supplier prices. I can't find the video anymore or I'd give the link.

I would put off any major builds for now if you can. These prices will go back down at some point as people get back to work and start spending their money on going out and vacations vs home renovations. *probably

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Building materials have all increased this year cause of Covid, the cost of building a house here has gone way up as a result. Not enough manufacturing factories running and the big disruption to world trade. Steel is in a worse position worldwide than wood right now.

So expect production guitars to cost a lot more.

John, vertigo08 and thebeesknees22 like this.
  6. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

steel is about to go from bad to worse in the next few months as well. Mild steel has risen beyond belief over the last year. Stls and alum had a steady price increase but announcements even this week are going to sky rocket those prices even further.

vertigo08 and thebeesknees22 like this.
  7. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I wonder if we will see composites and non-wood materials used more widely. Most such guitars now seem to be either not good or not affordable, but if there were more incentive to develop the technology that could change.

I had one of those baritone SGs with the richlite fretboard for a while, I liked it better than rosewood and didn't even really register it as being not-ebony unless I thought about it. A favorable choice in terms of environmental stewardship, but now perhaps with some more monetary incentive.

8. arasys

arasys needs more RRs

Sorry for sounding too boring for SS.org but, last month ArcelorMittal Italy increased its HRC prices twice by 50 euros in a week, and transportation costs are going up too.. I think overall steel prices will continue to increase for few months.

9. budda

Buy your RGI/EGC stuff now, friends ;).

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I used to work for Restoration Hardware. Their Sutter dining table line had wood from the US, shipped from the western US to Asia to make the table tops in Vietnam, then they shipped other wood to a manufacturer somewhere in the US (not sure where) to make the bases. Then they shipped all of the completed table parts to Tennessee by rail, and then sent half of them back to their other furniture warehouse California (they had two warehouses that eachs served half of the US). Someone in the offices said all of that logistics/transport ended up increasing the profit on the ~$1,500 table by about $100.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. spudmunkey

One of the troubles is that the "cost = supply x demand" equation is that we saw both a dip in supply, as well as almost unprecedented demand in many markets. How many things are sold out now-a-days? Go to any hobby's enthusiast forum, and you'll see threads about how the shelves are bare of many items. Heck, I bought a chainsaw mill a couple of months ago, and they were on a 6-8 week back-order...for a few pieces of steel and aluminum that you'd bolt to a chainsaw.

Non-wood ingredients aren't impervious to current market conditions, either. It's one of the reasons OSB jumped from $15 to $60 a sheet. Explosive demand, and the issue was exacerbated by the Texas winter storms. Texas produces something like 40% of the US's adhesive resins for use in OSB and plywood, and from what I understand, the storms, cold and power outtage threw a huge monkey wrench into the works.

From computer chips to ketchup packets, ammunition to baseball cards, we're seeing events outside of anything the modern markets have ever seen. Some things will get closer to equilibrium over the course of the rest of the year, but some might take longer.

Kyle Jordan and Hollowway like this.
  12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah neighbor made a large home addition but the price tag is simply more than that addition would have been a year or two ago imo. It’s pretty wild right now.

13. budda

We have two decks in our back yard, and I keep joking we can disassemble one and put the money into the mortgage :lol: (but then I wouldn't have the fire-pit deck I'm slowly setting up).

14. spudmunkey

15. thebeesknees22

And that's how the new housing market comes to a screeching halt lol

Maybe sod houses will make a comeback

spudmunkey and wheresthefbomb like this.
  16. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

This is getting too real hahaha. My landlords are paying me to disassemble their cantilevered sauna (permafrost wins every time) and use the materials to finish a different structure on my property.

I've accidentally amassed a small collection of old tires and my friend jokingly told me last summer that I'm well on my way to building my Earthship. I also have childhood experience in sod house construction...

USMarine75, thebeesknees22 and budda like this.
  17. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

Yup, and god knows when it's gonna get back to not-stupid. I've watched 5/8ths OSB rise from about $6.79 per 4'x8' sheet to about $49 a sheet. At this point, I wouldn't build a dog house.

beavis2306 likes this.
  18. thebeesknees22

holy crap! That's crazy.

19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

It sucked last year when I built a fenced in garden with 8 4x8 raised beds. That ended being way more expensive than it should have been. I wanted to put a deck on, but fuck that.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

meth heads are going to be ripping up decks instead of copper wiring now :lol: