Price Check! [Not sure if a guitar you're selling is priced right, post here.]

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MaxOfMetal, Jan 30, 2012.

1. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

So I have two guitars that I've fixed up and slightly customized over the years. They're work horse guitars and are far from perfect. I was thinking about selling them because I just have to much gear but I was curious if it would even be worth it.

Here's an album with pictures of the guitars and any damage/wear:
    Old Guitar/ New pictures - a set on Flickr

Customized 1988 SR Devil

This guitar was literally dead. It was covered in stickers from head to toe and thrown away by the side of the road. I walked by and thought there was something special about this guitar. Turns out its super rare and was only made in Germany for a short period of time 87-88

Although I did not push the money into refinishing the paint job I used Goo-off to remove all the stickers and hand buffed over and over and over again until the body regained some of its original shine and glossy feel.

Even though there are LOTS of cosmetic damage to the guitar and some that looks like it would have left the guitar obliterated (see image of nut), I put the money into this guitar to repair it.

Here are my customizations:
    * Wilkinson locking tuners (gold)
    * Guitar Fetish Tremolo with solid steel block
    *Yellow and Black Dimarzio X2N bridge (yellow and black) + Red Dimarzio Tone Zone in reverse (paul gilbert style) position
    *All new electronics 1M rating (I laugh at this now but I thought it'd give me SUPER HIGH output)
    *New Graphtech graphite nut

the only issue I really have with guitar is that the frets are the original ones and they are a bit sharp on the edges and the frets are pretty worn down since their not stainless steel.

[​IMG]

Worst part is def this:
    This is the nut, the idiot who had it early actually tried to carve into the wood because the old nut was broken. Luckily it seems to just be cosmetic, so I glued the new graphtech nut in its palce
    [​IMG]

Please see pictures in flickr for further details

The other guitar is a Customized Dean VX with Floyd

This is the discontinued Floyd Model of VX series. I found this guitar covered in grime, frets destroyed, wiring destroyed. The guitar by all means was a piece of shit.... but when I picked it up I noticed something interesting. The neck on this guitar was amazingly comfortable for a Dean guitar especially of this price. I decided to take it home and salvage it.

Here are my customizations:
    * All new frets
    * Stripped old black paint and stained bare wood "English oak" w/ clear coat
    * All New electronics with a push/pull coil tap for both pickups
    *replaced zebra stock pickups for a SD JB Bridge (open black) and a Gibson Burstbucker 2 neck.
    * Added Tremol-no
    *Left Grover tuners and Floyd Rose Licensed Bridge
    [​IMG]

The two issues with the guitar again are just cosmetic but annoying. Basically the chrome pickup looks a but grimy (couldn't figure out how to polish it back to its old look), also the guy who clear coated my guitar (Springmire Vintage Oakville CT, beware) let the clear coat drip from the bottom forming bubbles at the tips of the V. Also the sides were extremely rough. I used super light sandpaper and smoothed out the sides and made the bubbles much smaller. See here:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3722/8873940248_66ce946d64_c.jpg

I'm curious what people think.

2. whatupitsjoe

whatupitsjoe SS.org Regular

RGA121 in great shape on Craigslist for $999, needs to be shipped. Has Aftermath bridge Cold Sweat neck. price is too high IMO, how much should I offer?

3. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

I know this thread doesn't get a lot of visibility but does anyone know what a fair price would be for a 2003 (pre lawsuit if that matters) PRS singlecut, birds, no rosewood neck, mint?

Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

4. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

Local shop has a 1992 RG470 in pretty much mint condition. Asking $899, how much is it actually worth?

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If it's a 92' it should be MIJ and have an Original Edge trem, if it's in as good of shape as you say, probably around $400, $900 is RG7xx money. :2c:

6. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

7. bashtey

bashtey New Member

I'm trying to sell an ESP SV right now, and I was thinking about 1100€ since I've bought her new for about 2,000€ back in late 2006 or early 2007.
    Do you think it's too much?
    I haven't found anything yet, since there are no used SV's on eBay here in Germany.

She has one minor dot (pic included) but the rest is in really good shape- never been used live. I only used for recordings.
    There are no bigger mods I've done, I haven't even changed the pickups ;-)

Attached Files:

8. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Are they any PRS fans around to help price that guitar?
    Cheers

9. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

I got a guitar like the green one in this ad here:

??????? & ????? - ESP Grassroots G-HR-49S (Japan)_??????_????????

(^this is not mine)

It appears to be an ESP Grassroots G-HR-49S .I got it years ago in a trade when I didn't really know shit about guitars.I got it with

-INF pickups in it (these aren't the stock ones of course) with a couple of rusty screws and pickup rings ever so slightly distorted (curved)
    -pretty beaten up with a chip on the on veneer on the edge of the body that shows the body wood (still seems green though I didn't notice it at first) , dings on the back,vibrato tailpiece cavity cover missing,one tuner back cover missing
    -"Classic" paint crack near the neck heel,seems insignificant compared to the rest though :lol:
    -Had a luthier give a quick treatment to the frets,and block the vibrato tailpiece with a piece of wood glued in the cavity so it's pull-only.Also he fixed the treble side bridge screw that couldn't lower flat to the body (which leads me to believe a previous owner had it fall pretty harsh,hence the battlescar on the veneer)
    -the string have dug grooves inside the floyd style nut.That isn't a problem,apart from the first string,which gets a weird buzz,I solved it by putting a cleaning cloth under all the strings,cut roughly at the size of the nut
    -the fretboard has seen cleaner days,but that's fixable.

The guitar plays fine,considering what it's been through.Obviously the INF pickups aren't the best (If i keep it i might change them),but I was thinking of selling it and getting this used Ibby ??????? & ????? - Ibanez rg 370 ?? extras (it has a tonezone bridge and paf pro neck pups,coil spit and killswitch)

Any estimation as to what I should sell it for? :lol: I was thinking about 200 euros (267 dollars take or give) is that a lot?

10. Sugbaable

Sugbaable SS.org Regular

How much for a black, new condition Ibanez Sr305 5-string bass? No modifications.

It comes with a hard case as well.

I was thinking about 350-400?

11. Carnage

Carnage one srs peach

Hey there, can anyone give me a rough pricing on a Agile Septor Elite 727 , greenburst with BKP aftermath set please?

12. Dj0nt

Dj0nt Dashboard Fan

I have a Made-in-Japan 1993 Ibanez RT-series (unsure of which RT model it is) that I've been trying to get rid of for a new guitar, but I don't know the price. It has new chrome knobs, new Infinity-series pickups (INF-3, INFS-3, INF-4), and a new 5-way Fender switch on it. I'm not sure if the pickguard on it is custom or stock on it since I got it a few years back with that pickguard on it & it has Gotoh locking tuners (which I assume are stock). The guitar's neck is in great condition, but the body has dents all around it and a small crack in the back - probably less than an inch, but nothing that affects the playability of the guitar. It also comes with a hard case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Dj0nt

Dj0nt Dashboard Fan

14. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Bump for Post# 141

I'm really curious what I could get for these if I sold them since they're kind of rare (especially the Hohner)

15. whatupitsjoe

whatupitsjoe SS.org Regular

Ibanez RG3570Z Galaxy Black, $900

yes or no

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Decent pricing considering what they went for new, ~$1600 if I rememeber correctly, but since you can get RG2570 models with upgraded pickups for around $600, it's probably not going to be the easiest sell, especially since it's the black model.

The only thing that separated the RG3570 from lesser models was the color matched headstock on the red and blue models and the stock DiMarzio pickups.

Somebody will probably snatch it up on eBay for that much, but if you go to the forums it'll be much slower to move.

17. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

How much would a Jackson 2006 Black DKMG MIJ go for, assuming it's in decent condition?

18. japs5607

japs5607 SS.org Regular

As per the title. Looking to sell this. Just looking at what it would be worth. Used to belong to one of the ex Achitects guitarists. I have the matching hard case for it also

I've blacked out the hardware and added an EMG 707 to the bridge

[​IMG]

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, please move if required

Thanks

19. Robby the Robot

Robby the Robot The President Bits

20. japs5607

japs5607 SS.org Regular

Thanks mod, sorry