Price Check! [Not sure if a guitar you're selling is priced right, post here.]

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MaxOfMetal, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

You don't see those very often, I'd start at 350€ and see where it leads you. You can always drop the price later.

2. Mike

Mike The Traveler

I'm selling a jackson dxmgt (MiJ) and an ibanez tr-70. Locally/ftf, I'm looking for $375 for the jackson and $200 for the ibanez. Both in great condition with a few upgrades and a unique finishes.

I am not getting squat for hits. Not even low ball offers. I think they're pretty cute guitars at a fair price but maybe I'm far off on this one? Is it just a bad time for selling?

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Prices seen fair, I just don't think the market is very kind to either of those models specifically.

If I were you I'd hold out till after the holidays. If they don't move by then, maybe pull the upgraded pickups and slam the price. Maybe try to wrangle a trade for something that might move a little faster.

Mike likes this.
  4. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Same.. not just with my gear but I've seen awesome gear sitting for weeks or months at rediculously low prices. I don't have the funds the buy it all myself.

5. MaxOfMetal

Typical end of summer slow down. Everyone has either spent their money on vacations or school/school supplies.

Next month folks will start holiday shopping and in January they'll be fat with gift money/willing to splurge on themselves.

Things will go dead again after that, until March, which is tax refund time.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike The Traveler

No one has funds lol. It's all a huge cycle of guys just selling gear to fund and buy new gear. Unfortunately we're at a dead stop right now where no one is making moves to keep the cycle going. All it takes is just one person to get some real cash to buy another persons gear to get this wheel rolling.

Ozzfest and Merrekof like this.
  7. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

You'd think.. I used to have the funds to buy cool stuff. Now I have a wife and a 1-year old, a house and bills to pay. Guitars became a luxury item and there are lots of things to buy in the house before I have cash for new gear.

Mike likes this.
  8. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

Thinking of selling my Aristides 070. Only reason is because I might get a 070r, since it’s actually more resonant than a 070, and I’m pretty sure I can sell mine more than the R will cost so it’s a win win situation.

Anyways its a rainbow sparkle, Floyd Rose and piezo equipped guitar that’s in mint condition and I’ve only had it since June (unfortunately I was like a month too soon in putting in my build to just get an R from the start), that I paid like $6k for. Could I sell it for $4k? $4500?

84B180B2-60C1-4BF9-8CC1-AC64D2A7BCFA.jpeg 462EB77E-C87E-476F-A201-FC8FFFD5DFFD.jpeg 6A07FFE3-FD88-4159-9749-0283E0C5A7DA.jpeg 55A0E4AE-BAA4-45F1-BEF5-E797631766E9.jpeg

9. MaxOfMetal

The market seems pretty saturated with these. Of the 30 or so on Reverb, the most expensive is only around $3500, and it doesn't look like they're getting many offers. Most 070 models seem to be asking around $2800.

When it comes to custom pieces like this you're pretty much stuck waiting for the right buyer.

10. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

I'd guess 3k max unless you're super lucky and someone is dying to have that exact configuration, and its not really a popular/typical Aristides type configuration

Some nice 070s have been going closer to the 2k mark, everything seems to have depreciated a bit since the R series came out under 3k brand new

11. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

People pay $6k for those new? Holy shit

Adieu likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

not exactly a guitar, but what's a decent price for a Mesa slant back 4x12 with v30s?
    there's one going for like 550 usd nearby

13. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Depending on the condition that seems pretty fair. I've seen them used anywhere from $450 (noticeably worn/beat up) on up to $700+ if it's in excellent condition or has some special order grill cloth or tolex combo.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

What's a good price for a 5153 50w and matching 4x12?
    There's a guy selling both for 1000$.

15. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Hi, I have a 1996 RG 505 / 550, the body is shot to shit and had a very bad refin, so I am wondering if I should sell the parts, or as a whole. The neck is in decent condition taking the age into account, and the original edge still works fine (but again has seen better days) - so any thoughts which avenue I should tak, and who much I should be looking to sell either the guitar or the parts for?

16. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

If the neck is good, that's a plus.
    You should be aiming at DIY'ers who look for parts. Can't really put a price on it really, but don't expect more than 250€

khm likes this.
  17. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Cheers buddy! Yeah I bought it as a DIY project myself, but after having a baby, my time has vanished, and cant see myself getting time any time in the near future. Guess I will break it up and list the parts separately on Reverb and see what happens. Hope you are keeping safe neighbour!

18. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Sell it whole.

Beater body may not matter much to some people

19. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Haha, I know..I have a second baby on the way! Better take it apart, if you want to ship it, it'll matter if there is a body attached or not.
    For now I'm fine. No sick family members and I have at least six weeks of work ahead of me :)
    You keep yourself safe as well.

khm likes this.
  20. Corporial Bodies

Corporial Bodies SS.org Regular

Hi I have a esp explorer 98 model, prelaw suit model, It has been used and gigged so it has wear and tear, like chips in the lacquer in the respective places of the explorer, has a replaced bridge as the other one has corroded although i still have it, still has the original emg 81s and tuners, still plays and sounds amazing, seriously I've never played a better guitar. Anyways I was just wondering how much it was possibly worth or how much I should be selling it for.