Presonus Studio One 'megathread'?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Steve-Om, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

No, he's right. There's some lack of optimization here.
    I have S1 installed on two computers - one is a stationary i7 and the other is my i5 laptop. Sadly, it's the i5 that sees more studio work lately and even a single iteration of 'room reverb', for example, on 'quality' mode creates CPU spikes of 90-100% periodically, causing buffer rundowns even though on 'perform' mode, for example, the usage is hardly 5%.

I know that's why perform mode is there, but those spikes are a clear sign for lack of optimization.

Other than that... I don't do electronic stuff, so i find it hard to get excited about any of the new features?..

2. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Yeah, the "it's your system" thing is tired and old. In fact, Eike (a former serious upper-end programmer) worked with me and other EXTENSIVELY to try and troubleshoot the problem. Limited success.

The architecture of how studio one used certain instruments (like kontakt, some of their own, etc) utilizes the second core in a way that doesn't translate well for some vst's/virtual instruments. It's a very very VERY common issue that is well known.

BTW, they are NOT all the same. I currently own reaper, reason, live (though I sold my big version and just have a "lite" verson) and sonar. Please don't assume that people don't know what they are talking about ;)

3. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

@ new features: Oh, I'm pretty excited. Some things I've noticed that are really key for how I work:

-COLORING! Coloring was really a terrible issue for the previous version. It was nearly impossible to get the mixer and tracks to be in queue with each other. This isn't "perfect" yet, but it's far better. Excellent for organizing for a mix.

-Though I'd love to be able to simple delete one kind of plug, at least you can select tracks and delete plugs all at once. HUGE for my old projects where I'd rather use a different plug. OH, AND BTW, a gigantic new feature......being able to select many tracks and add one FX to all at once! :shred:

-Curved automation? Thank you....thank you very much (I'm here all week!)

-At first, I was put off by the colors, but you can EASILY change the hues and such. This is a workflow thing.

-LOVE the way you can resize the mixer and the more flexibility.

There is way more, but I'm still fumbling my way through.....so I'll list them as I think of them.

For me, REASON is still a-number-one. BUT since you can stem out the tracks easily from reason, now there are automation/mixing advantages that I plan to take advantage of. Got another 30 days to demo, but feeling early on that the 149 for the upgrade is likely to happen.

OH, BTW, the demo seems to be completely un-restricted for the 30 days :cool: I'm excited about that because back in the old days, the demo was restricted and you couldn't export. LOVE exporting "new" mixes.

4. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Meanwhile........

:rolleyes:

If someone asks a question, and you have the solution, and 6 guys keep talking about how horrible it is INSTEAD OF DOING THE OBVIOUS THING to fix it...which level of idiot can they be? And no it's not just young people. There is a just a thing at that forum :rant2:

Still getting on with it, it is crashing when trying to close sometimes, it's not critical. A couple of weird things. Not sure how to describe them yet though.

5. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Final thoughts:

It's a great idea, but it's half-baked. I'll keep my eyes out for updates, but currently WAY too many bugs and issues.

Every since they "upgraded" the forum, it's been one of the worst places to be. I'll put in a couple of bug reports through proper channels and see what pans out.