Preferred way to program drums?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by nateispro, Jul 13, 2019.

1. nateispro

nateispro SS.org Regular

What way do you guys like to program drums? By mouse? Keyboard? Or drum pads? I have a nanokey im struggling to get working again and im thinking about just going for towards using just the mouse, what way do you prefer to program drum tracks and why?

2. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Why dont you just use the midi grid with your daw

atoragon likes this.
  3. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

I used to do it in GuitarPro, but I've recently been getting used to doing it in the Reaper grid. Programming drums ain't so bad with the mouse in Reaper.

4. nateispro

nateispro SS.org Regular

Woops my bad! That's what i meant by doing it with the mouse.

Thats good to know! Did you like doing it in guitarpro? Ive read of tons of people doing it that way

5. CLAYSHAPER

CLAYSHAPER SS.org Regular

I also write music in Guitar pro so it's natural that I just transfer the midi drums to Cubase when it's time to record for real. I keep it real simple in GP though. When the skeleton of the track is inside Cubase I use my mouse and ears to make the patterns intricate with the drum editor. I mind that my robot drummer is right handed and try not to make impossible patterns. I humanize the whole performance by randomly making everything slightly off beat and a small variance in velocity. The last step is implementing the right handed mentality and put emphasis on core hits, for example the first cymbal on the verse, different power on hits on the fills, fast ones have naturally lower power. That's about it.

Flemmigan likes this.
  6. JesperX

JesperX SS.org Regular

I use the piano roll in Reaper but I’ve been considering getting a midi pad that can do velocities so that I can rough them out by playing a couple passes and just nudge them into place. Not sure if it would be all that much faster though.

Best bet on the piano roll is to work in sections, copy/paste, and then modify the bits that need to be different in that section.

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Mouse, Piano Roll. I've gotten so used to working in the grid in Reaper that it usually takes me longer to tab out my guitar parts than program drums. Most of the stuff that I program gets scrapped once a live drummer starts working on the song, so I don't spend a lot of time with velocities and stuff as its basically a fancy metronome to demo stuff to.

MYGFH likes this.
  8. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

I'll either start with a loop in EZ drummer 2 and use the function in there for inserting fills - sometimes that works great and sometimes it doesn't depending on the loop/song or, in Studio One 4 - with the new pattern editor - I'm using that more and more.

9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I have a basic bass line that I use when my bass player and I demo parts from our riff library.
    I paste the bass parts into the midi drum track's Piano Roll/step editor in Pro Tools & then change all the notes from the bass line to the kick & snare drums respectively, then start adding hi hat & other parts in there, with sprinkles throughout, especially the fills.

Helps me to get more cohesion with the drumz & bass working together as a rhythm section.

10. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

Writing in GuitarPro is useful if you use it for tabbing and songwriting. I do that, so programming drums in it is cool. However you're limited to the choices GP gives you, which is generally way less than what your drum plugin gives you. You also have much looser control over velocity. If you're just demoing it's cool, but if you're actually trying to use it for something serious then you probably should program in the DAW.

11. crossthestyx

crossthestyx SS.org Regular

I have a template in Reaper with 2 Superior drummer plugins and the drums broken down/separated. Plus 1 EZ Drummer2 plugin set up as well. I use EZ Drummer2 to "tap to find loops" with the beat of the rhythm. (mouse) Then adjust timing. EZD2 works about 50% of the time when just writing and structuring a song initially. Then I'll pull the loops into Superior Drummer and modify or change them completely depending on how satisfied I was with the original beat. (adding, subtracting, tuning down, tuning up, changing snares, volume adjustments/mix etc.) I use an IRig25 (nano keyboard) when I can't find or modify a loop to write a new midi score. I fx 1 of the superior drummer plugins before rendering down. I hate programing drums, so this makes things go a bit faster when writing, but it is also a bit messy as well. lol :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  12. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

You don't have to be limited by what choices GP gives you. You can just write in the corresponding midi value that works with your plugin. In GP it may be a wood block or something, but once it's transferred it'll be whatever it is in the plugin. I do this all the time because GP only has one China cymbal and I prefer to write drums with two.

In terms of velocity, it's not to hard to fine tune the velocity and timings once you get it moved over.

13. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

trackball + numpad with studio one. I have my numpad bound to change the grid subdivisions as well as straight or triplets as well as a "split at grid" macro that lets me draw in a longer note, change the subdivision, change to triplet, hit the split key, and keep going. Once you get used to it, it becomes a breeze!

14. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Been using the piano roll in Cubase for the past while since I never could get the drum map working in it

It sucks bad and has honestly pushed me away from recording/writing 9.9 times out of 10, so I think once I get some spare time I'm going to try and get the drum mapping working

15. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

I write in Guitar Pro as well. Then fine tune in DAW.

Quaker763 and ATRguitar91 like this.
  16. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

I program everything with piano roll in FL Studio. It's how I started figuring out that DAW and now it's just easiest for me to do.

17. Quaker763

Quaker763 SS.org Regular

I absolutely love the Cubase drum editor, it's really easy for anyone to just pick up and use straight away, even if they've never touched Cubase before. I still regret switching to Studio One 3, even though I really love it. Using the piano to input drums really does my head in tbh.....

18. Ilia Tilev

Ilia Tilev SS.org Regular

I actually program drums with the mouse.. Disable quantize and let your creativity do the work :D

19. crossthestyx

crossthestyx SS.org Regular

So.., you may hate this comment, but the Brutal Truth is this: If you're a cheapskate and still trying to do realistic drum tracks without a real drummer mic'd extremely well, or you're Not using the best computer drum system available (https://www.toontrack.com) you're kidding yourself! And spanking your monkey! Not to mention you've got ur head up ur ass. That's just the "reality of the situation" Cry and bitch if you want, but you'll Never produce pro recordings without one or the other.

20. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I use a mouse and a grid, and when I can a real drummer.