Practice amp - which to choose?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by foreright, Dec 29, 2020.

1. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

So I have approx £150 to spend on a small practice amp as I’m bored with having to fire up the pc and software etc. Just to play through my interface.

What are my options in this price range? I’ve been looking at the Blackstar Fly or the Roland Micro Cube GX or just going with a micro head like the Orange Micro Dark or one of the Joyo bantamps (zombie probably) and running through headphones or a small cab.

I do have small children and most of my playing time is when they are asleep so would likely be playing through headphones for a percentage of the time anyway...

Any opinions?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

How much are POD HDs in your area? Over here that's enough to pick up an HD500, and I can just about guarantee that it'll sound better than a small practice amp.

3. Runander

Runander SS.org Regular

4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Fender mustang ii or boss katana?

5. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

interesting - hadn’t really considered that... I actually do have a pod x3 live but I haven’t switched it on for a while as I tend to spend more time fiddling than actually playing haha. Is the HD much better?

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Eh, for messing around it'll be just fine.

7. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

If you just want to hear yourself.... My practice setup for (very) low volume is a JBL charge speaker, plugged into a PodX3.

Cheap as chips, multipurpose, and takes up very little space. And, you can just plug in a headset which is great for midnight practice.

foreright likes this.
  8. BepsiMan

BepsiMan SS.org Regular

If you want to get fancy, buy an IR loader (run that to your DI and monitor via headphones on the loader directly) and put a preamp pedal in front :)

9. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I have a Peavey Vypyr that has always impressed for being dirt cheap.

That said, my favorite for a small budget setup is a preamp pedal into a pedal power amp and cab. You could use the Pod as the preamp for now and you would only need something like the EHX Magnum 44 and whatever cab you can get locally. If you deal hunt this should be doable for around $150.

I play through a similar setup most of the time, and you get the added benefit of being able to run the preamp into your interface and play with IR's through headphones. It's also imminently flexible as you can swap out the individual pieces as your needs change. It's always nice to have a separate cab and power amp handy.

USMarine75 likes this.
  10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I just use my existing modeler + headphones. Try to make use of the pod X3 you already have lying around. It’s “just practice” anyways.

11. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

Yeah I think this is likely the route I’ll end up going down - thanks all!

12. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Used Peavey Bandit or Randall RG

13. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

Have a look at Gumtree or Facebook Groups/Marketplace. Buy second hand, you will be impressed by how many good amps you can find for little money. Keep an eye open for Blackstar HT1 combo and Katana 50 MK 1, they go for £100-150 and they are better than those mini heads.

Guitarguitar has some crazy deals on ex-demo stuff, if you want to buy "new".

foreright likes this.
  14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I’ll second this. I have an old POD 2.0 that I use and literally just leave it on patch 4D for practice. It sounds great, and I can play thought headphones any time without bothering anyone. What I love most about playing through headphones is that you don’t get the unamplified string sound ringing out when an actual amp volume is set low. That drives me nuts. I either want to turn my amp up so I’m hearing the guitar only through the cab, and not the plink sound of the strings, or I want to play through headphones and not even bother with an amp.

foreright likes this.
  15. gabito

gabito SS.org Regular

I use a POD HD for practice and recording.

I also have a Boss Katana Mini. Sounds pretty good, but it may be a little expensive for what it is.

16. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

A buddy of mine just got one of those little Yamaha THRs and he's super happy with it. New models even have built in wireless.

17. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Not sure if somebody brought it up, but the Yamaha THR10X is really nice for practice. You can usually find them used on the cheap side. Can go somwhat loud or whisper quiet. Sounds better than the Cubr IMO.

[​IMG]

18. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Dude, it's literally one post above yours :lol:

Musiscience likes this.
  19. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Enjoy! I try to sell everyone I can on a sweet modular setup. MFX/Preamp -> Power Amp -> cab is the ultimate in flexibility to me.

Tired of your core tone? Swap the preamp for something different, I've got 4 in my chain at any moment and run them in stereo at times. Want some tube goodness? Get a tube power amp. Need more volume or thump? Upgrade the cab.

If you've got an interface, the preamps sound great running into IRs; I prefer doing that over the sims I've tried. If you're using a modeler anyways you're setup for headphone jamming out of the box and can easily run into that your power amp and cab when you're able to crank.

20. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

LOL really didn't read the answers. Cool little amps though.