Powerlifting. Anyone on here do it?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Defyantly, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Nice, some god numbers there

Anquished likes this.
  2. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Cheers guys, I've got ALOT of work to put in to catch up to the guy who got 1st. His squat was 240kg or 250kg (can't remember) and deadlift was 260kg. :lol:

Although I've decided to give equipped lifting a go, see if I like it.

3. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I'm moving to another gym with proper equipment and I wanted to start a strenght program that will transition into a more "bodybuilding" type of training during next spring.
    I was looking at the Starting strenght and Stronglifts programs and wanted to know which one would you recommend for someone who's not completely new to squat, bench press, deadlifts and OHP.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the 5x5 stronglifts since starting strenght seems to lack a bit of volume for my tastes.

As you can see from my numbers I'm a newbie; here are some 5RM (calculated):
    Squat: 196 lbs
    Deadlift: 217 lbs
    Bench: 131 lbs

AxeHappy likes this.
  4. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I'd recommend the beginner program from Barbell Medicine or either of the Powerlifting or Body Building programs from Eric Helms' Muscle and Strength Pyramid books over either of those programs.

Links:
    https://www.barbellmedicine.com/product/beginner-template/

https://rippedbody.com/novice-powerlifting-program/
    https://rippedbody.com/novice-bodybuilding-program/

Those last two or the programs from the books without having to buy the Pyramid books. But if you're interested in science based training they're well worth the $67.

lurè likes this.
  5. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Hows everyone doing?

I'm currently on the same program as my coach (he's competing in the Irish Pro Invitationals) and getting annihilated. Lots of banded & chain work with a disgusting amount of accessories thrown in. Aiming to go for new PB's 6 weeks from now, the same week that my coach competes as I'll be following the same peaking cycle. I want that damn 200kg Squat.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I've had to limit RoM on bench and press to finally heal an elbow tendinopathy, and as such have actually added some weight to both, but like...that's cheating? Haha. I did hit like a 10 pound PR on Press during a mostly volume focused block(s, it's like 3 in a row now actually) compared to the pure intensity work I was doing (foolishly) for quite a while.

I moved at the start of the month, to a much better and much quieter location, so I've switched pretty much all lifts from the floor to a variation.

So Farmer's Deadlifts have been replaced to RDLs (first and last ending from the floor) so my absolute intensity has dropped significantly but I feel I've added a lot of strength doing the RDLs.

Squats are progressing well enough.

Nothing really impressive to report. Just...lots of volume and lots of being tired, as I'm actually focusing on losing fat. Heh.

Anquished likes this.
  7. Ozzfest

Ozzfest SS.org Regular

Been watching alot of arm wrestling videos lately. Schoolboy being very popular.