Powder Coating Hardware?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by WhitechapelCS, Oct 23, 2013.

1. WhitechapelCS

WhitechapelCS Alpha Incipient

Googled quite extensively, and searched on here as well.
    I'm currently refinishing an ibanez 1527 I picked up locally for a really good price. Body needed a lot of work as far as dings, but the hardware and neck was fantastic. Eventually when it's done I'll be making a NGD and updating with the pictures from along the way.
    But at this step in time, I'm stuck on what to do with the hardware.
    I have a few really good connections, one of them being a powdercoating and metal refinishing company. The guy said he will refinish any of my hardware for free, any color, etc. :hbang:. However, he said that there was a few issues.

1), I would need to take the plastic little circular covers (that cover the cogs I believe) on my Gotoh tuners off. Now, I was told they are aluminum. They feel plastic to me. If I take these covers off, if even possible, wouldn't that expose the cogs? I couldn't find a solution to this online.

2) I would have to cover all of the threading on individual parts with tape I believe, in order for them to still work. Is there a specific kind of tape?

TLDR; Basically, I have seen that people have been successful with powdercoating guitar hardware, but I haven't seen what they actually have to do.

Any help, information, stories are greatly appreciated!

2. WhitechapelCS

anyone?
    Bumppp

3. SandyRavage

SandyRavage SS.org Regular

Cerakote holds up well. Take it to any competent gunsmith.

4. dedsouth333

dedsouth333 That one dude...

Powder coating is an extremely hot process (the oven we used was set at a little over 980°F I believe). I've powder coated hundreds of things (vehicle rims, motorcycle parts, weird miscellaneous stuff that people don't want to rust, etc. etc.).

Aluminum can't be powder coated because there is no magnetism to it (not sure if that's the right terminology but you get it I'm sure; if you can't stick a magnet to it you can't powder coat it) and if you're right and it's plastic it'll melt like candle wax.

Also powder coating is very thick. If you're dealing with super tight clearances (which is usually the case with guitar hardware) the media will fill them up completely. It'd be like dunking it in a whole can of automotive paint and letting it cure fully (only with powder coating it happens much, much faster).

I could be wrong but I personally don't see how they could get it on thin enough for it to work :shrug:

WhitechapelCS likes this.
  5. dedsouth333

dedsouth333 That one dude...

Actually that makes a ton of sense. You're working with very similar clearances (extremely tight) for proper operation and cerakote works very well. A friend of mine just had his Kimber cerakote'd and it works flawlessly. Not to mention it comes in a ton of different colors (from standard mil-spec finishes like coyote tan and OD green to electric blue and Barbie pussy pink).

6. WhitechapelCS

I've seen it done before, and even on here there is an old thread with a guy who was powdercoating entire hardware sets for guitars. Even bridges and Floyd roses, tight spots that needed the clearance. So I know that it CAN be done, it's just that the guy who owns the powder coating shop said I needed to do a few things before I could bring it in.
    Today I talked to him, he said that we could tape of threading, I just don't know if there is a special kind of heat resistant tape I need to use. And there is also still the trouble with taking apart the tuners for powdercoating. I don't want to expose the gears inside, but I cant leave the little black circle for fear that its plastic and it would melt.

Attached Files:

7. Lifestalker

Lifestalker SS.org Regular

There is one thing to mention about powder coating. As mentioned above, it's thick! Personally I wouldn't risk the possibility of ruining a set of tuners. I do understand it's tempting, being free of charge and all.

I'd rather save up and purchase some Sperzels. They offer a variety of colors/combos.

8. stigmatodiaboli

stigmatodiaboli SS.org Regular

9. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Don't do It . I tried this at my local finishers and :hber:
    You can take the buttons of the tuners and get those PC'd with no probs.

10. WhitechapelCS

Yeah I think I'm just doing the "buttons", or the tips of the tuners flat black, and I'll buy flat black locking sperzels soon. Taking the Gotohs I have apart just seems way too much work.
    Thanks for the suggestion!