Potentially joining a Drop D band. Tuning advice?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by n4t, Sep 17, 2014.

1. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

As the title says. I'm assuming at this point the rythmn guitarist will be playing a 6 string in drop D based on the recordings I have to pore over.

I tune my 8 to Drop E and am not sure where to go with it.

I could drop my E (6th) and B (7th) string and go with that.

Or I could get out my Jackson soloist and just use that.

I was just wondering if anyone found themselves in this situation and if there were any good, creative solutions for it. As the new guy I don't want to ask for a tuning change or make things hard on the other guitarist. I'm leaning towards just using my 6 and working in the 8 maybe at a later time.

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

:yesway:

3. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. :shred:

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Bring both! Set up the Jackson for drop D and try tuning the 8 to DAdadgbe so you can jam along with him on 6 strings, but drop the hammer for chuggy parts an octive lower.

5. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

Oh I like that tuning. Probably need a power transmission line to get to D on the 8th string though. Gonna try it tonight with my .075 string and see if it hits me in the face when I up-pick. :metal:

6. Dominoes282

Dominoes282 Mixing Engineer

I recommend this set

[​IMG]

This is the CircleK .009 balanced set with a .079 low string and it has pretty decent specs assuming you have a 27" scale.

7. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

12lbs at D1 is insanely light tension. If you don't want the sensation of rubber bands below your fingers I would aim for something closer to 17lbs on the lowest side. The set above is actually backwards IMO. Why would you want so much more tension on the treble side?

8. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I'd just go with the 6 stringer. It's what I did being mainly a 7 stringer going into my current band (Drop C# mainly). I bust out the 7 for B tuning songs

That said, that limits some cool things you could probably do on the 8, but it would definitely simplify things.

9. KristapsCoCoo

KristapsCoCoo SS.org Regular

It depends - if you could add something to music with your 8 and if it would sound good/better that way, than go with 8stringer, otherwise stick to Jackson... Probably wont hurt to try out both ways...

10. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

Picking up a fresh set of strings for the 6'er and will start with that.

My Ibby has a .082 on the 8th string. I generally like my stuff slinky so I'll try it with that. Sadly the .082 won't go through the bridge on my OAF, and of course neither will anything bigger - without some hillbilly modification. It has a nice wood nut (zero fret) so I'm not sure I want to start hacking at it with a file.

Guess I finally have an excuse to order new pickups for my RGA8? It's already been drilled and filed for bigger strings.

Thanks for the advice guys.

11. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Out of curiosity, what's the band's opinion on the matter? I know I wouldn't necessarily be too happy with a new guitarist showing up expecting to play an octave down without letting me know, first.

12. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

I have only met the drummer thus far. When asked which I would play I answered "Whatever fits in". Just looking for options here.

I haven't had a chance to try D on the 8 yet, but I can deal with (and prefer) pretty low tension and I dislike big string gauges so I'm thnking my .082 will work and maybe even the .075. It's only another full step down. :hbang:

13. Roy

Roy 12 + 16j = 25L53,13

........ Who ever made the rule that you have to be in the same tuning as the other guitarist ?
    I play my 7-string in dropped A, while the other guy plays in standard D and standard B. Works perfect.
    It's not a matter of playing-in-the-same-tuning, but it's a matter of how-do-you-LIKE-to-tune-your-guitar.

14. rifft

rifft SS.org Regular

I would say just use the soloist in drop D. Tuning/number of strings definitely changes the way I approach playing guitar (e.g. drop D vs D standard vs B standard/drop A on a 7 stringer) even if they have all the notes available. It'll help you get into the mindset and feel of the band better, imo.

15. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I would go with just using the Soloist. Given how 99% of guitar players are about 7s (just use a bass, why do you need that many strings, ect.) I would imagine if you show up with an 8 they'll probably say you aren't the guy they need. If you're dead set on using your 8, I would just bring your Soloist at first and if everything goes good throw out the idea of using it.

16. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I say use the Jackson. I tune my 8 with 30in scale to DADGCFAD and have a. 094 for the low D. So you'd probably need heavier.

You could just play the 8 in standard and transpose, but I know how that can be.

Maybe start with the 6 and experiment later :2c:

17. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

This is the approach I think I'd be taking. Go with the six string to begin with, learn the material and then fool around with your 8 string at home to see if you can add anything to it by having the two extra strings. If you think you can contribute something extra by using the 8 string then bring the idea up and have your example parts ready to go.

18. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile

Use your 8 in whatever tuning you like if it's your favorite guitar. If they don't want the low range in their music, stick to the higher notes. If they don't like the 8 because it has more strings, even if you're playing in the scales they want, then they're wankers.

19. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

On my drop-D sixer, I use 0095,012,017,024,034,046. The 46 works well enough when alternating between std-E and drop-D.
    Hehe, it's a strat-alike, with the old school Wilkinson bridge setup tight, and it still keeps the tuning when going between the two tunings. Just needs a Sperzel D-thing for the low string ;)

My Schecter Riot 8 is setup for std downtuned C on the six mid strings, which means having the minor-3rd step from 4th to 3rd strings, with additional low G and high F.
    However, I often tune the high one down to E, i.e. a minor-3rd step. as this allows for a more smooth playing style for certain things.
    Top strings are 008,010,012,018, all plains, low one in the 080 range; don't remember the rest..

As with my 6'er drop-D, I should have a D-thing on that string, plus one more on the 3rd string, for alternating between C and F tunings.
    I also often have it tuned a half step up to C#; sexy more crisp tuning.
    Don't think I'd make use of a low dropper, but a D-thing on the 7th for drop-A# (when in C-std tuning) would be cool.