Posting your things on social media (and getting frustrated about it)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by AwakenTheSkies, Mar 5, 2021.

1. AwakenTheSkies

AwakenTheSkies SS.org Regular

Guys,

I really want to put myself and my music out there, and for me social media seems like the only option. But I have a really hard time making it fun to post things. It's stressful! Like posting a small clip of me playing one of my songs on IG for example. I write the song, record it, mix it, record videos of myself playing it from different angles, do many takes, and by the time I can absolutely nail the riffs my enthusiasm for the song and the video is gone. Then I edit it, post it, and start getting worried and anxious about how uploading it to IG has taken a bunch of frequencies out of the mix and now it sounds different.

Do you share similar frustrations? Do you have any advice for me?

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If you're going for social media promotion, worry less about ultra-mega-super-amazing quality and focus more on have daily content. Not that you don't want good quality, but if you record the audio that goes with the video in a daw and are uploading not-phone-speaker audio, you're already ahead of a lot of people. Also, it seems (unless it is important to you) it's not really important to be authentic in that what people are seeing is the actual audio being recorded that they're hearing. A certain fruit-themed artist has made quite a social media presence for himself miming to pre-editing audio. Also, don't worry about impressing other musicians, worry about engaging normal people who aren't going to ask you what gauge strings you're using or if they can get your VST patch settings. I'm not good at any of these things in particular, but this is what I see people who are successfully gaining an audience through social media are doing. Also, IG hashtagging is super important. Be consistent with them, and get a bunch of them.

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Pay someone else to handle it.

Millul and AwakenTheSkies like this.
  4. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

I'm not in a band and don't make albums but i do post music ive written on insta fairly regularly.

I started out by making some dumb panning pictures to the music but now i'm doing the full performance on camera.

Like Gunpoint already said - posting more often and consistently is the only thing to stay on top of. Sometimes it wont sound or look as good as you wanted, you'll need to get over that. People won't notice. If they do they won't care. If they care that's their problem. You'll get better with every post, and learn and improve your production along the way.

I believe for insta posts you'll want your audio to be in mp4 format so make sure you're using that. Helps with the frequency reduction and compression.

I use a DSLR for filming, but honestly any camera will do. Practice the hell outta those songs and nail them before filming. You'll rush yourself and accept sub-par takes if you're trying to nail it and figuring it out while video recording. Trust me

Also, not that i condone overusing these because i think they're kinda drowning out my insta feed, but sponsored posts (paying money) definitely will help get eyes on your videos if you're really going for exposure. Like Gunpoint also mentioned, hashtags will get you very, very far (limit of 30 per post! don't go over or you gotta post it all over again!) but a sponsored post with a link that brings you to a place to download your album will help a lot. You can pick your audience and your budget and much more. Just food for thought

Good luck!

AwakenTheSkies likes this.
  5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

You don't need all that bullshit to publish yourself playing man, don't get into that game because it's not worth burning out your interest in your hobby.

I also think you just discovered your threshold by attempting to do that, make your life easier and drop all the production unless you're posting something major. Instagram doesn't need to be glamorous to generate interest in you and your playing. It's designed for phones and gives you a number of tools to record straight out of the box right with your phone camera.

My recommendation is to grab OBS, setup your camera/webcam and a line to record your guitar's direct input. Single angle, direct audio, no editing, and one take production. Don't forget that you're recording short videos for a short attention span, it's not Youtube or a major production. The playing matters more than multiple angles and the mix of your music in the context of instagram.

Now just play your guitar, and before you turn on OBS to capture your next video, make sure you've got the riff/lead/song up to par and clean before recording.

That's my advice, don't make what you do for fun essentially work before it starts paying you to do so.

6. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Sorry, and I mean no disrespect, but you kinda do.

If this person is writing music and now trying to get themselves out there, then learning more about high production value and ways in which others promote their music can only help.

Your music is probably good, but putting your best foot forward can go a long way

AwakenTheSkies and Jonathan20022 like this.
  7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

No disrespect taken man, all good.

I agree in general, I put a lot of pride into my recordings and videos and go all out when I work on them. Just in this case he seems to be burned out by the time he's putting his project together, so I think cutting it back and making it easier to focus on the playing rather than the production could be helpful.

But yeah practice makes perfect, although I'm not one to talk since I got my first Mirrorless Camera for filming weddings, and only really learned Adobe Premiere really well because I had to edit those same weddings. Prepare your vids as well as you can, but don't burn out!

AwakenTheSkies and chipchappy like this.
  8. VibTDog

VibTDog who farted?

If you really want to get your stuff out there just video your cat with a kitty sized guitar with your music playing behind it. Or a dog with sunglasses eating a plate of eggs. Then people wont even have the choice but to listen to your stuff.

Gmork, Boofchuck, budda and 1 other person like this.
  9. AwakenTheSkies

Thanks for the great advice! I do like the idea of doing it with minimal production and just one take. I would like having a great guitar tone as one of the attractions of my videos though, so I would still reamp. I have to say, I think I would very much rather do YouTube and Soundcloud together than Instagram. I hate how IG kills the sound quality, and I don't think anyone is going to listen to a full song on IG, and that's my thing I think. On IG I'm more stuck trying to get people's attention by showing a short clip of the coolest part of my song. Tbh it does seem like something to do for fun to show my friends and other people what I'm doing, but it's hard for me to believe that these clips will attract new listeners. I think a more effective way of getting people to know my music would be videogames or movies or playing live shows, but I don't have any access to that yet.

I have thought about it, but I'm too young and broke to be able to do that. I thought about doing that with a friend and paying him a bit to keep posting my stuff and taking care of the hashtags and whatever, I'd still have to record, mix and edit. My friend is trying to get a meme page going but not much sucess yet. Maybe as joint effort we'd do better? Idk.

You know sometimes I think about it but there's a line between "that guy is totally crazy" and "clearly he's doing this for the clicks". If I would come up with a fun and original idea for a video I would do it.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  10. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

people post on social media bc they want the serotonin release from getting likes and comments. just get a bag of blow and get them the old fashion way.

11. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

1.) You need to have high quality content that attracts people's eyes/ears and sucks them in.

2.) You need to post content consistently (daily, sometimes more).

3.) You need to understand the various promotional and campaigning services offered by the platforms (such as Facebook) and how they work to target specific audiences and get your content in the feeds of those audience members.

4.) Pay attention to trends, and yes, cash-in on them (even if it requires specially tailored content) for quick attention bursts.

AwakenTheSkies and chipchappy like this.
  12. AwakenTheSkies

I know you're probably joking but I wish! Plenty of businesses have to get on social media to keep up with the times, I think many of those people wouldn't do it if their business didn't require it. I'm a younger guy and while I used to enjoy social media as a teenager, for a while now I've hated what it's done to social interaction, especially among younger people who are growing up. But like I said I want to put my music out there and social media seems like the only way for now.

I appreciate your advice, in some aspects that does seem like a lot to ask from 1 person, posting high quality stuff every day. I don't know if that's possible or even enjoyable. Like how man? I just like writing songs and practicing guitar, I can't write and record 3 new good memorable songs every day and do the videos for them. For something positive, I've never been one to pay attention to trends or cash-in on them. So that might be something new to try.

13. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Then don't update every day. Update every 2-3 days, or every week.

Are you just trying to drive some traffic, or do you want to build a fanbase and tour your music when that's a real thing again?

What's the end goal here?

14. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Music is a business. Social media is a business. You don't just "play" and have people "magically find you". You have to possess a business mentality to have/do anything in regards to music nowadays, even if just as a casual, amateur posting content for shits and giggles. You have to put in the elbow-grease and hard work in order to create content that will drive traffic and attention so that people can actually discover you. Create/edit a video, chop it up into smaller clips, create a posting schedule and stick to it very strictly. (Don't blow your load and dump content.) Do some test posts to see what type of content (what format) yields the best response and to see what time (actual time of the day each day) is the best time to post. Factor it all into your schedule and keep going.

Mateus Asato is obviously everyone's default, go-to example as far as a guitarist achieving immense social media fame. However, his case also is the defining danger of the pressure of constant content creation: it leads to burnout. You said: "in some aspects that does seem like a lot to ask from 1 person, posting high quality stuff every day", and to that statement, I'd like to point out that it is indeed possible for one singular person to be a good content creator, but it's an absolutely tough gig. (Not all of us are like Gary Vaynerchuk with a whole team behind us creating our little 30-second to 1-minute videos.) You, as the sole creator and proprietor, have to know how/when to measure your work in order to avoid the dangers of burnout. But you also have to keep driving traffic so that the algorithm keeps picking you up. So can you really afford to rest? Not really, unless you sacrifice some traffic for the day (or a few days).

It's brutal being a daily content creator, but they are the ones that achieve the most social media currency/points/rep/views/whatever.

15. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Also bear in mind that people on instagram are using shitty phone speakers or bluetooth speakers to listen to your videos. So your audience will probably won't even hear the entire spectrum of your recording anyway.

If you were recording for a streaming service, well that's another story..

16. AwakenTheSkies

It's hard to say what my goal is because my circumstances keep changing. But yes I would like to attract more listeners to my music. I don't know if a band and touring are realistic goals. Where I live there isn't much of a scene and I don't have any steady work so I don't think I can buy the gear to play live shows or get a band together or go touring. That's why I'm relying so much on the Internet. In about 3 years I might finish some education related to networks & IT and I might try to find a job in the US so I can move there. Everything guitar related is so much more accessible there, and guitar is a very big part of my life.

I wonder if you can give me some criticism? These are two 30 second clips I've posted on IG, I'm testing the waters a bit.

The first one is the main riff of Scarlet by Periphery, what you hear is what I'm playing in the video. The guitar is mono, I glued it with the backing track using a compressor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMHy0iwKL-k/

The second one is simpler but actually I'm mimicking the song that I recorded in my DAW, and the guitars are stereo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMClKL2KdiK/

If there are any faults in the format, the quality or the sound that you would like to point out, I'd love to hear it! I could record with a white background, but that would make it more inconvenient. And for lighting I rely on the light of day so I only record in the morning. For the videos I record myself with a digital camera and my DAW separately. I usually put a metronome before the song starts in the track, that way the camera mic picks up the sound of the metronome and I can sync the audio peaks from the camera with the ones in the real track and that makes them real easy to synchronize in the video editor. I then render it to MP4 AVC/ACC 1080p 30fps.

17. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

One thing that I've seen a lot of people do to gain traction on social media is to pay people to:
    1) Follow them and like them. Seriously, there are "like farms" in countries like Thailand where a few dudes will have thousands of phones to like and follow people who pay them. Read this:
    ‘Click fraud’ farm: 500 mobile phones, 350,000 SIM cards found (news.com.au)
    2) Pay for exposure. This will be in the form of ads, or even in the form of someone popular to give them "rep" in one of their videos.

You'd be surprised how even celebs have been called out for having bots following them on social media/youtube. That's because if an advertiser sees someone with millions of fans, they automatically think that they have the reach to pitch their product to those millions.

I actually have a friend whose youtube channel was doing really well, with hundreds of thousands of followers. And then, suddenly, her whole family quit their IT jobs and became overnight celebs on social media. Even her kid was a social media star. And I saw a few videos, and it was cringeworthy and I put 2+2 together.

It also always amuses me as well when I see social media celebs do collaborations, because it's usually utter tripe and only worth it for the shock value.

But that's how you build a following: by being constantly the centre of attention.

If you want to do it "the hard way" (the legit way, the only way worth doing it, the right way):
    1) Try to have a mix of original content and covers. The covers will help people listen to your music at first, since most people really look at an original by someone they don't know for about 10 seconds before closing it. ADD in the digital world.
    2) Mix up studio work and live work. It's a good idea to just capture yourself playing with other people in a live setting, even if it's just a jam room, so that people will see that you are the real deal. Studio work is also essential, to get your best foot forward, but playing live shows people that you're not just faking it.
    3) Be funny. Nothing gets people interested in a person on camera like if he's a funny guy. That doesn't mean you need to overthink being funny. Maybe being congenial is a better way to look at it.
    4) Be original. No point doing what everyone else is doing. Maybe take a step back and analyse what you have been putting out there and ask yourself if you are creating a unique proposition for people to watch you instead of the gazillion other social media stars out there. Find your bag and live it.