Post your pedalboards!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by GorillaSalsa, Dec 10, 2009.

1. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

[​IMG]

It's starting to break (water spills, amps sitting on it, drops, throws), but it still sounds nice.

2. Guitarwiz2k

Guitarwiz2k Tech Metal Guitarwiz

I figured that's probably why... I personally would use mine to the fullest, being that I not only play Jazz, Metal, Prog, Blues, Reggae and sometimes Contemporary Christian music, I'm always using different amp models in it.

Then there are the Fx's. I'd use the Roland Jazz for the obvious, a Plexi for the blues band, JMP1 & Mesa Mk 4 Sims for any fusion, metal or prog, then the flangers, phasers, wah, CHORUSES!, and Delays, Nice clean verb that's as good as any I've heard, spring or otherwise.

It's perfect for anyone doing multiple styles of music... Or for those who are into the "Cover Band" or General business bands, or even studio musicians. That's why I agree with you in part that if you won't use it to the fulles potential, it's a HUGE waste of money, if you'll only use a delay, verb, chorus, maybe a wah, and a single amp tone, Clean/Distortion. Any channel switching amp and a few pedals can do that job. But to take it up a notch for multi genre or studio musicians, it's perfect.

3. greeny23

greeny23 Active Member

Racks are for people who dont like fun.

that is all.

:)

4. Guitarwiz2k

LoL... I want to have fun dancin' with the crowd, not dancin' on my pedals! :lol:

5. greeny23

greeny23 Active Member

im a bedroom player, my only crowd is my cat. and she hates me.

6. Guitarwiz2k

LoL... Captive audience. Nice!

7. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

well I just use effects I like.(Phase Shifter,Delay,Harmonizer/Pitch Shifter,Ring Mod,Dying battery Sim,Bit Crusher,Fuzz,Killswitch)
    which are rather odd effects that the Axe FX doesn't have
    and all the amp sims and cab sims would cause too much tone ADD and I'd never have a set tone.
    Plus, I'd never be able to have control over the fx as much as I do live and with pedals.I'd have to run, set the 3 or 4 FX then run back, then etc etc
    when I can tap said 3 or 4 fx easily and turn them off without losing time.

8. Guitarwiz2k

The Axe-Fx does have many of the effects you mentioned. Phase Shifter,Delay,Harmonizer/Pitch Shifter, and Fuzz; but some of the effects, Ring Mod, Dying Battery Sim, Bit Crusher, and Killswitch weren't there that I saw, and I believe they were specialized effects.

I get the overall feeling with the axe that, they made it for industry guitarists who are using the axe in live or recording situations that are above the normal consumer users. Which is in part why it doesn't come with silly USB connections, or even fire wire... It was made to model amps and give guitarists a more compact way of setting up, taring down and moving on to the next gig quickly, efficiently and being able to have your tone from one place to the next with little adjustments.

These are all the effects within the Fractal... The Ultra does have more, like the Ring Modulator

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Feature_comparison

9. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

I can respect your diligence in defending your choice of gear, but you're arguing against vintage/analog snobs who are never going to agree with you no matter how sound and logical your argument is.

10. Soubi7string

seriously, there was no call for that dude.
    I wasn't disrespecting dudes choice and I simply stated that it doesn't have the effects I want and isn't what I prefer.Why you would start calling anyone a snob for preferring pedals over digital is beyond me.

11. Guitarwiz2k

I completely understand where you're coming from, like my friend who swears by his Gibson Les Paul, but there are so many companies out there cranking out gear all day long, that guitars can almost be made by anyone who'd take the time.

Same go with processors... I like the fact that this fella took the time to build something that he wanted to use, and in turn saw a market to sell it. I respect that aspect. Now as for the analog gear, I've opened some of them, and they are still digital circut boards in some, and others are straight up digital, like some of boss's pedals. Then there are the elite pedals over $200 bucks, to that I say, If I had a choice, I'd still buy the fractal, but if there was one single pedal that I wanted in particular, I'd use that in conjunction with the fractal, but it does modeling so well, I didn't see the point.

As I said before, I now use my JMP1 as a practice headphone amp, and sometimes for reamping if someone wants to use it to record. The one thing I'd love to see in this is, the option to change the type of tubes some of the sim tube amps run on, but that's in the tweaking anyway, as long as you understand what each thing does, you can get any sound you require.

12. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

If you merely "prefer" pedals, there would be no problem. Lots of people PREFER pedals to rack, and I have no beef with them. You're finding absolutely any reason you can to tear down the AxeFX, no matter how insubstantial they are. Some of your arguments are so bad that they actually work against your general thesis.

Your principle argument against the AxeFX, the one you've brought up most frequently, is that it's a rack unit. That's nothing but mindless snobbery, and I'm not sorry if you don't like my saying so. And yes, it's true that different pedals hold different tones. That's why units like the AxeFX model several of the same types of pedals, so you get, for example, a TS9 overdrive as well as an OD808 overdrive, and others as well.

Also, appealing to bit crushing is self-defeating, because it's a digital effect that was, until somewhat recently, not even available in pedal form. If there had been enough of a demand for it, Fractal, or companies like Boss, Digitech, TC, etc. could have put bit crushing into their processors before pedal players ever got their hands on one.

This isn't even an argument. All it takes is one dumbass to fuck up your amp. All it takes is one dumbass to fuck up your pedalboard. Besides that, if one pedal goes out on your pedalboard, you have to troubleshoot the whole thing, find the one bad pedal, one bad power supply, one bad cable, etc. that's preventing the whole shebang from working. Obviously the AxeFX can fail, but if you're smart, you have some kind of a backup.

As has been stated, the AxeFX does have most of those effects, and more. Also, Fractal can update the firmware any time, to give you those effects, and even effects that don't exist in pedal form.

That's entirely on you. Maybe you like a specific sound, so you only use one or two different tones, so you use the same amp and cab sim on every preset. Or maybe you enjoy the freedom, so every preset is a completely different sound. What's wrong with either one? Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

This is only a problem if you live in some alternate reality where MIDI doesn't exist. In the real world, you can not only turn all of those effects on or off with one tap instead of 3, 4, 5, 6, however many, but you can call up different VERSIONS of them. You don't have to use the same delay every time, or the same phase shifter. You actually have far MORE control over them, because you can not only save presets with completely different settings, you can also assign expression to them so that you can keep your hands free and control whatever you want with your feet.

To top it all off, who says that the AxeFX has to be the only piece of gear you use? Go ahead and run the AxeFX with a head and cab, or with some pedals, or all of the above.

Hell, I don't even own an AxeFX, nor do I want one. I'm not some rabid Fractal fanboy jumping in to defend his own personal snobbery. Your arguments against it just don't really hold any water. You don't want to use one, fine. Don't.

13. Guitarwiz2k

:hbang:

To add, as I said before... There are plenty of choces out there, and sometimes amp models sound alike becuse most amp companies copy sounds of yet other amps, but even if you want, you can design a completely new amp to your specs.

As for effects, Go to the Axe-Forum, and you'll find that there's a page to request effects, and depending on the popularity of the request, it may be seen in a new firmware update... for free! Imagine that, a new sim, mod, pedal or update for a great price. :)

14. Soubi7string

dude you're the one gettin all irritated, I'm just discussing with the dude why I don't prefer one lol, and my reasons, be they insubstantial or not, are my reasons.I'm not being a snob, just stating why I don't like it. so just chill man lol

15. Guitarwiz2k

It's cool... I get it, my buddy Scott has been through soldano, bugera, marshall, fender, roland, crate, vox, and peavey, that I know of, he's gone rack and got a JMP1 and a marshall 50/50, sold that for a marshall 20/20 with the JMP, then ditched it all and got a Rocktron Chameleon and he's been happy ever since. And he's always been a dieheard, Gibson Les Paul Vintage, Marshall amp plug in the front with no pedals, purist, but now that he's way older his views has changed from the popular to the usable. Not my particular tone or likeing, but he loves his Rocktron.

We all get what we want for various reasons, and I understand that, but in the end it's all about the tone and what you're comfortable with. I never intended on getting rid of my own JMP1 and Korg A1, but after gigging for years with it, the frustration of slow channel switching motivated me to switch. For close to 18 years I've waited for a unit and seen them come and go as you said, but the only thing that caught my attention was this thing. I was even going to buy an Eventide Eclipse, but the reverbs weren't as realistic as you'd think. They're good at harmonizing, others are cheeply made, I've found the POD series buggy, and thus far the fractal has been solid as my Korg that>>> NEVER broke down in over 18 years... EVER. So for me, that's a selling point; great effects, solid workmanship, transparent effects, and reliable as an old shoe.

16. jacksonwarriormg

jacksonwarriormg SS.org Regular

This is my pedal board ,i built it with a wall mart case (20 $) and some piece of a sheet of 1/4 plywood and the velcros is from dollars store and nothing fall when im walking and i powered it with a 1spot adapter and daisy
    chain
    CIMG0706.JPG

CIMG0704.JPG

CIMG0698.JPG
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  17. greeny23

greeny23 Active Member

fix your link!

18. jacksonwarriormg

jacksonwarriormg SS.org Regular

do you see the picture ???,is the same a s the link

19. Soubi7string

eewwwwww FZ-5
    the rest is pretty cool though :thumbs up:

20. rug

rug SS.org Regular

My band's got a 6 week break from playing out, so I figured now is the time to switch to my new (to me, anyway) pedalboard, and update a few things. The only thing I need to put on there before I wire it all up is a loop system - the $6 is there so I know exactly how much room I'll have for one before I order it. :D

I'm planning on getting the 6 channel compact system so I can keep tone killing pedals (Whammy, DL4, I'm looking at you) out of my path when not in use. This is what I was planning on, do you guys know if there might be anything better? This was the best one I could find...and I'm about an inch short of being able to put the 8 channel loop on there. :(

True Bypass Switching Systems, Guitar Effects, A/B Pedals, Pedal Boards, Stompboxes, Guitar Buffers, DIY Kits!!!

The board is actually made of some surprisingly sturdy peg board...so I'm hopeful that I might actually be able to stow the power supply below the board (it's at an angle, and there's a storage area directly underneath the board)...which would open up some board space for an Electro-Harmonix Cathedral Reverb. :D :D :D :D

I really, really, really love my ENGL Powerball...but I do not love how monstrous that footswitch is. I could fit a ton more pedals on there if only it was a reasonable size. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So yeah, what do you guys think?

Attached Files: