Post your first metal album you owned.\m/

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Shawn, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I can't even remember, was that "Tell me how does it feel" track a cover?

Also, I missed Toshiro's comment earlier - Creed is most definitely metal. Whether or not you like them is of course debatable, but unless popularity suddenly has something to do with metal-ness (in which case Metallica's fucked, too) then they're still playing metal, near as I can tell.

Nowhere in the "Rules of Metal" does it say "it's only metal if the listener in question likes it," you know? There's plenty of metal I can't stand, but it's still metal.

2. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Sorry, but Creed is at best Hard Rock, same with Dokken. Has nothing to do with my liking them or not.

3. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

You forget Post Randy Rhoads Quiet Riot.
    Their two big hits were Slade Covers.

+1 to toshiro.. sorry drew, i gotta agree with him. Creed was definately a rock band, just like Altar Bridge. (Though altar bridge gets mad props for their badass cover of Highway Star)

4. noodles

noodles Contributor

Uh, no and no.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

While they unquestionably blur the line between hard rock and metal, I think judged solely on their debut album (again, I refuse to judge them on anything that happened afterwards largely because of Scott Stapp) you can't deny at least a strong metal influence.

Hell, listen to the riffing on "Torn." Sure, it ain't thrash or death metal, but it's at least as metal as the majority of the Black album...

They got progressively less metal, and Alter Bridge I'd definitely dump under hard rock too (though again, that debut is one of the better contemporary hard rock albums I've heard in ages), but there are moments on "My Own Prison" that I think it's tough to listen to without calling it metal.

6. noodles

noodles Contributor

Name a hard rock band that has debuted in the last twenty years that isn't influenced by metal.

EDIT: Corrected for you, Drew. :wub:

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

is or isn't?

8. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

:hbang: Both good albums. Ride The Lightning especially. As I said earlier in this thread, it was the first Metallica album I bought. I didn't get into Mercyful Fate until later in the nineties, after King Diamond actually. I never owned that MF album ^ but I listened to it all the time at my friend's house back in the day. :metal:

9. grim tr00 kvlt

grim tr00 kvlt Bleed the Freak

10. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Technically my first metal album was a dub of kill 'em all. The first album i bought with my own money was Testament- Souls of Black.

11. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

I question this. They have no metal attributes outside distorted guitars and a drummer.

Pearl Jam was not metal. Pearl Jam with Hard-Rock influences(Creed) is not metal.

12. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

If you count Sabbath as metal, it's "Vol. 4". Since I usually don't class them as an actual "metal" band (although they're the beginning of metal, per se), it would be Maiden's "Killers".

Actually, I kinda do, in the same way I like Hair Metal bands.

I agree with the idea that both '80s Hair Metal and bands like Creed aren't metal - the requisite stylistic elements that make "metal" to me aren't there. I've had this argument since the '80s, and no one's ever changed my mind on it - distorted guitars do not metal make.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Scott Stapp aside, their debut sounds absolutely nothing like Pearl Jam.

How familiar are you with it? I mean, I have no illusions of being able to change your mind here, but if you're just going off the couple radio singles you've heard, then maybe I could understand where you're coming from...

14. crowbarfan77

crowbarfan77 SS.org Regular

METALLICA ,and justice for all...:eek: Hit me like a ton of bricks.:wallbash: WHOA!

15. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

It's got that atl-grunge-rock aspect to it, IMO. My girlfriend at that time had it, and used to listen to it all the f'ing time, and it made me want to pull a "Black Album"(use as frisbee) on it. Only I'd grind it on the concrete first. :lol:

(Thankfully I just ban all GF's music in my presonal space now, she wants to listen to crap she can do it when I'm not around. Makes for a much more peaceful enviroment for everyone. ;) )

They aren't any more metal than Poison/Warrant/Trixer were, IMO. Sorry Drew.