Possibly stupid EMG question

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So this will probably sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyways as it's really driving me crazy and I couldn't find any info from what I searched on here and through google.

Preface - I am left handed (which makes things even more confusing). And on left handed guitars I've seen with EMGs, the engravings of the pickups are nearer the bass strings (on righty guitars the engravings are nearer the treble strings). I recently swapped sets of EMGs (one set is white, one is black) and cannot remember for the life of me which way the pickups were before the swap. Now, with the sets back in the guitars they were in initially, when the engravings are nearer the bass strings the output/gain of the pickup seems to be lacking and I have more trouble than before achieving pinch harmonics. As I said before, this seems to be the orientation they are in on other left handed guitars (and it's the way I believe they were before I went and fucked with them). But when I turn them around so the engraving is nearer the treble strings, it seems like I get SOME of the output/gain back and have an easier time achieving pinch harmonics, but still not as easy as before. Maybe that's just in my head, but surely the inability to coax out pinch harmonics isn't as I'm still playing the same way, still using the same amp, and (before someone asks) YES, I HAVE TRIED CHANGING THE 9V POWERING THE PICKUPS.

So my question is; does the direction of the pickup (i.e. EMG engraving being closer to the treble or bass side) make a significant difference in the output/response of the pickup?

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Which model pickups did you have in there originally, and which models did you just install? If you're using dual mode pickups like the 89 or 707TW, then orientation will make a diff.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense to me as it seems in my case there IS a significant difference and they aren't being coil tapped. :scratch:

:idea: Maybe I just need to give up, sell the EMGs, and buy some BKPs.

But for now any help with the current problem would be greatly appreciated. And just so you know, I have also checked all the wiring in the cavity and it appears spot on, same as the day I had them professionally installed.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have adjusted the heights to what I thought they were before I swapped them and all variations of other heights also, with no success getting back to that sweet sound they had before. And let me also mention that, yes, the 81 and 85 are in the same position (81-bridge, 85-neck) as they were before the swap.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^Yea, I mentioned that I have changed the battery in the original post. And it was a brand new battery.

cow 7 sig

AU director / RHLC ©
Reaction score
im out of ideas then mate sorry.i have turned emgs around many times before with no change or loss to the tone.?:wallbash:

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn this making me crazy! Is there a possibility that it's a problem with my amp, like a microphonic tube or something? I did notice earlier when I was playing that what I believe to be the rectifier tube was lit up pretty bright, but I've never taken note of how bright it has been before. :scratch:

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Did you just swap 'em via the quick connect terminals in the pickup cavities? Or did you change some of the electronics?

Also, you should do the following check: put the original 81 and 85 back in and see if they sound the same or different.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, they were swapped via the quick connects. Made no changes to the electronics.

And the original 81 and 85 are back in. Both sets are giving virtually the same sound as I described in the original post..when the EMG engraving is at the bass string side they seem to lack gain/output/ease of playing pinch harmonics and when EMG engraving is at the treble string side the gain/output/ease of playing pinch harmonics is better but still not as good as it was before I did the swap.

I just thought of something. Might the strings be a problem here? They aren't old by any means, but I did loosen and tighten them a number of times to take the pickups out. Maybe that somehow made them less able to produce pinch harmonics? Idk. They still seem pretty good otherwise.

thebhef

King....of....Mountn
Contributor
Reaction score
How old is the battery? As in, has it been sitting around in its package for a few months/years? Batteries do have a shelf life.

Otherwise, is it possible that you're put the quick connectors on backwards? Did you happen to yank on the leads when installing the new pickups? You might have broken a solder connection. I'd pull the covers off and look for loose wires.

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The new battery was bought only a week or two ago, so it shouldn't be bad. Also I've just tried another new battery that I bought yesterday. No difference. So that pretty much rules that out.

The quick connectors are on there correctly..I made damn sure of that after the second time changing them around and consulted the instructions that came with the pickups just to be 100%. *sigh* And...
...And just so you know, I have also checked all the wiring in the cavity and it appears spot on, same as the day I had them professionally installed.

Purist

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, since its not the battery or the pickups. I'd say check your guitar cable and amp. The strings shouldn't matter unless they were super old.

I don't think it matters whether the emg logo is under the bass or treb side since they don't have pole pieces but the coil orientation should matter so i'd put them right side up(the logo isn't upside down when guitar is stood up/emg logo under bass side in your case).

I would suspect that its your wiring but since your still getting sound, i don't think that's the case but i wouldn't know, i can't see/hear it. Does both the neck and bridge pickup sound weak?

I'd say its either your cables, amp, pickup height OR as you said ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD! If its really frustrating you...Take it to a tech...WE can only speculate wats wrong since you have no clips or pics posted.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Did you try changing the battery? :lol: (joke)

Well at least you know there's nothing wrong with the new pickups, right? Both sets are giving you the same "problem." So just toy with your gear until you get a sound you like. My guess is that you inadvertently changed your settings without realizing it. Or maybe something spontaneously went awry in the control cavity. Or maybe repeatedly loosening the strings, like you said, somehow deadened them a bit.

And if none of that works, try changing the battery, just for shits and giggles. Cuz when you buy batteries and a light-up yo-yo from that Chinese lady on the train...

Jem7RB

Rootbeer
Reaction score
if your still having problems, email EMG directly, it'll be a lot less hassle for you in the long run

matttttYCE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, since its not the battery or the pickups. I'd say check your guitar cable and amp. The strings shouldn't matter unless they were super old.

I don't think it matters whether the emg logo is under the bass or treb side since they don't have pole pieces but the coil orientation should matter so i'd put them right side up(the logo isn't upside down when guitar is stood up/emg logo under bass side in your case).

I would suspect that its your wiring but since your still getting sound, i don't think that's the case but i wouldn't know, i can't see/hear it. Does both the neck and bridge pickup sound weak?

I'd say its either your cables, amp, pickup height OR as you said ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD! If its really frustrating you...Take it to a tech...WE can only speculate wats wrong since you have no clips or pics posted.

There are just too many damn variables in this equation (AND I never liked math)! I switched out all the cables and tryed plugging directly into the amp but it's still the same (with the exception of a little bit of suppression from my ISP decimator pedal but it's nothing substantial.)

And if the coil orientation matters, then wouldn't that mean that the EMG logo being under the bass or treble strings would matter?

In any case, new strings are going on it in the next day or two. Then I'll try emailing EMG. And if that doesn't fix the problem I'm going to try doing the 18V mod on them, just for shits and giggles (with the EMG logo under the bass strings). If none of that works, I'm completely rewiring everything, and adding a killswitch haha!

Purist

Contributor
Reaction score
There are just too many damn variables in this equation (AND I never liked math)! I switched out all the cables and tryed plugging directly into the amp but it's still the same (with the exception of a little bit of suppression from my ISP decimator pedal but it's nothing substantial.)

And if the coil orientation matters, then wouldn't that mean that the EMG logo being under the bass or treble strings would matter?

In any case, new strings are going on it in the next day or two. Then I'll try emailing EMG. And if that doesn't fix the problem I'm going to try doing the 18V mod on them, just for shits and giggles (with the EMG logo under the bass strings). If none of that works, I'm completely rewiring everything, and adding a killswitch haha!

i've seen some emgs with the logo on the left side instead of the right when the pickup is right side up but i can't find any info on them on the emg site or anywhere on the net. I've looked at the lefty guitars on the rondomusic website and some of them have the emgs wit the logo on the right and some with the logo on the left...all right side up...so i don't think it matters where the logo is as long as the pickup is not upside down which would screw up the coil orientation which will might give undesirable tone. You should definitely e-mail emg and see if they have pickups specifically for left hand players cuz i'm just as lost as you are :lol:

interceptorpro27tgr2left.jpg

interceptorpro27trd5left.jpg