Popular Guitars That Do Not Please Your Eye

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Velokki, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Just wondering what guitars turn you off aesthetically, even though they are popular and a lot of people like 'em.

For me:
    1. Ibanez Paul Gilbert models - those painted soundholes make it look super cheap and just awkwardly designed. Me no likey.
    2. Ibanez RGD Iron Label stuff. Looks relatively cool in pics, but they look super cheap in person. Didn't like them at all in-store, where they looked like super bland bastardizations of popular poplar burl tops.
    3. Many Kiesels with unmatching colors and ugly bevels. Often there are even great tops, but they are ruined by the tasteless color combinations and fades, coupled with the in-your-face bevels.

AxeHappy, Adieu and Alex79 like this.
  2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

Not even this one?

[​IMG]

Or this?

[​IMG]

sell2792 and Zhysick like this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

Stratocasters, Telecasters, Les Pauls. These 3 classics hurt my eyes simply because there are too many of those. I never had any of those shapes, thankfully.

Merrekof, josh1 and AltecGreen like this.
  4. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Schecters, not the customs...but lot of their regular series look just like cheap emo-kids guitars.

sell2792, jbaxter, Possessed and 3 others like this.
  5. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

My top three are all Fenders. Tele, Jaguar and Jazzmasters look horrible to me.
    It's schockin that the company who designed the most iconic guitar look of all time, also designed these monstrosities.
    Also flying V's. It's the most dorky guitar shape ever.

6. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop

I'm going to be honest, i hate Ibanez Universe guitars with a passion.
    I think they are ugly, old fashioned, and the rosewood fretboard just look cheap as hell.

And the worse of them all is that ugly black and green UV70P.
    It just look cheap.

jbaxter, Masoo2, bmth4111 and 2 others like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

1.everything BC Rich makes besides the ironbird or the eagle. They have some of the worst design language ever. Geometric sharp edges mixed with soft curves, bevels and curves/points that don't mesh with the overall design (see the draco, beast, ignitor, wave, widow, zombie).
    2. Everything Etherial "designs". I swear he has never actually played a guitar. All of his shit is pointy in all the wrong places and it's way too visually busy 99% of the time. Not to mention his absolutely retarded scooped neck profile.
    3. Carvin Ultra V/ X220. I hate the bigger lower horn. Hate it. The design just doesn't flow well.

Masoo2, setsuna7, josh1 and 3 others like this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

+1 for painted-on f-holes. They're the worst. Give me real f-holes or nothing.

I've also never liked T shapes. I've always thought telecasters sound cool.... but look terrible.

jbaxter, AxeHappy, avandarcs and 3 others like this.
  9. akinari

akinari does his own setups

I might get crucified for this but I hate bevels and I can't stand maple boards on guitars with brightly colored finishes. A lot of poplar burl tops look like vomit to me. I have a bunch of beat up strats and teles that have been ripped apart and put back together and I vastly prefer them, visually speaking, to everything I named. :shrug:

You'd take the Ironbird over a Mockingbird?! Leave the hall!

Merrekof and efiltsohg like this.
  10. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Gotta give it to you, that looks great... but would look even sicker without the fake F-holes ;)

Solodini, XPT707FX, efiltsohg and 2 others like this.
  11. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Those Etherial guitars... I used to be happy. But now that I know those things exist. The world is a cold and scary place. Why couldn't you let me be blissfully ignorant! Why!

Ash J Williams and Velokki like this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

Mockingbirds have garbage upper fret access and don't balance well. I've never had that problem with an ironbird or other star shapes.
    Gooood, you must suffer as I have.

Zhysick likes this.
  13. akinari

akinari does his own setups

I thought we were talking about strictly visual things here but u rite. Functionally I'd love to combine the the upper half (neck side) of an Eagle with the lower half of a Mockingbird but I doubt it'd balance very well.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I don't like single cut les Pauls at all.

classic tales without rounder edges and an arm contour are also hideous.

Wolfhorsky, josh1 and The906 like this.
  15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

If someone gifted me a Paul Gilbert, I'd paint over the stupid fake f-holes.

16. KnightBrolaire

agreed. contoured teles are where it's at. Comfort/ergonomics >>>>>>>>>>anything else

17. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Most Fenders other than the classic Stratocasters. I like only that classic look when it comes to strats. I usually don't like superstrats and feel they look a bit like wannabe-shredders or someone stuck in the 80s, though some designs can be modern enough to be acceptable to me.
    Ibanez is a big offender as well, and Steve Vai's guitars are the worst with the grip and the inlays (the Paul Gilbert model is also a stylistic crime). I also think the Ibanez S looks unnecessarily female, even if I myself don't exactly know what I mean by that!

I really loathe the Music Man Petrucci models. It looks like a superstrat, which I already dislike, but then the body is somehow out of proportions and looks too big and too much like a paddle or whatever. To think that someone would drop thousands of pounds on one of those hurts my soul.

The worst guitars for me though are the ugly Danelectros and the boat-sized Gretsch guitars (they both belong in the fireplace). They are about as sexy as incontinence pads.

Dumple Stilzkin and Velokki like this.
  18. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Gibson SG

19. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Fender off-sets, except for the Meteora (for some strange reason), but especially the Fender Parallel Universe Volume II Maverick Dorado

PRS's upper fret access scoop

EBMM stingray 4-string basses, because they don't have the same chamfered edges as the 5-string, which is epic.

EBMM Bongo

Sooooooooo many basses. I don't know why, but almost every bass has an ugly shape, to me...and it's not just that it's different than a guitar shape. Like...90% of the Ibanez SDGR or whatever they are called. blech. Same with most Warwick basses.

While i respect Duesenburg and Framus, I've just never gelled with their shapes...and it's usually like one specific but random detail that throws me off.

Almost all Parkers except for the shape like on the Vernon Reid signature, the one with the blue paint and colorful graphic with the bright green, etc.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Alex79, Strobe and Velokki like this.
  20. natedog_approved

natedog_approved Meatsack

Might be putting my head on a chopping block but basically any PRS. I cant stand that body shape.

Viginez, Vegetta, AxeHappy and 2 others like this.