Polyphia with Vai

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
The amount of negativity that comes from other guitar players is hilarious.

Polyphia is opening a new generation not just to guitar but to shred and instrumental music, can you guys just piss off and let the guitar SURVIVE? Otherwise it dies with your generation or your opinion.

You don't like it, turn the channel.

The negativity towards them is exactly the same as when Children of Bodom started blowing up in the 00s. I can’t believe I’m seeing identical comments again 20 years later about:
Appearance/clothes/makeup
Bringing back the guitar god image
New style of guitar music
Modernising guitar music
How they don’t play more like X generation of bands
Inspiring the next generation of players
Appealing to a younger audience

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After listening some more to Ego Death to familiarize, it just sounds like a collection of riffs more than a song. No cohesiveness but I love Scott's solo. Lower tier Polyphia for me.

Last edited:

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think some of. you are missing the point. This stuff is meant to be eclectic and doesn't have the flow of other styles/composition. It is made on a computer in chunks. The whole approach to the writing is beat based. The guitar is not even treated or looked at like a guitar. Most of this stuff gets written on the computer then translated to the guitar. Hence the disruptive, choppy vibe of it all. This is less rock and more rap.

Then again, to each his own and enjoy it if you want. For me they are hit and miss but they get my attention, that's for sure. :)

Don't get angry about it. It's just music.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
There are plenty of other new generation guitar players who are actually playing music that doesn't all sound like the same clean-with-natural-harmonics-thrown-in-every-5-seconds-elevator-music-snoozefest. Polyphia aren't the new messiah's that will ensure the survival of guitar for decades to come, buddy.
I didn't say they were Buddy!

Okay, Buddy?

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
Based on all of the comments, I was expecting this to be a quick play and almost instantly close the video. That wasn't the case. I ended up listening to most of the song with minimal skipping ahead. It's not something I'd purposely listen to but was definitely interesting enough to watch.

The video reminded me that I saw these guys years ago at a small local venue. They were the opening band although I can't at all remember who I was there to see. At that time, they looked like a group of kids that clearly had talent and little to no stage presence. It was awkward to watch but pretty cool to see they've gone quite a ways.

Slide187

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These cats are off the rails math-music, and not my bag normally, but I’m def blown away every time I hear/see something from them. And I love their drummer, dude is nasty. I did find it entertaining when that was released that Tim Henderschnitz or whatevathafuk his name is allowed a 62 yr old man to rip a lead on one of his tracks. 🤣😂

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
You certainly implied it, buddy bud buddington budster buddy.
Listen, Pal, I most certainly am your buddy. I didn't mean to imply anything that would get you so rattled.

Okay buddy?

:gayfight:

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I quite like Polyphia, especially their The Most Hated EP, but I found this song to be quite dull. I’m also a huge Steve Vai fan FWIW.

Slide187

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you think that when they asked Steve to collaborate he was like “that’s a band? Didn’t I just have a couple of those removed at my last colonoscopy?” 🤣😂😅

Amirite guys?

Guys?

Guuuuys??…..

Adriel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Late discovering this - holy shit that drummer. Amazing piece of music all around.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok I figured out the problem. The entire song is the same 8-bar chord progression on repeat. Granted, they play it in a bunch of different and interesting ways, but what happens is after 3 straight minutes of this (about 12x through the chord progression), you're looking for a change section so badly that it's actually disappointing when Steve effing Vai shows up to solo over the same god damn chord progression for the rest of the song.

I do really like Polyphia; this song just grinds my gears.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok I figured out the problem. The entire song is the same 8-bar chord progression on repeat. Granted, they play it in a bunch of different and interesting ways, but what happens is after 3 straight minutes of this (about 12x through the chord progression), you're looking for a change section so badly that it's actually disappointing when Steve effing Vai shows up to solo over the same god damn chord progression for the rest of the song.

I do really like Polyphia; this song just grinds my gears.

The progression is actually different when Steve comes in for a bit, but overall yeah it's kind of like jamming to a backing track lol.