POLL!! Ibanez RGD2127FX vs Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Eeedwardsson, Jun 17, 2013.

Which one is the best guitar? (Built quality, playability, sound etc.)

1. Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7 Active

15 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Ibanez RGD2127FX (Prestige)

63 vote(s)
    80.8%
  1. Eeedwardsson

Eeedwardsson Member

Which one of those are the best guitar (built quality, playability, sound etc.) for metal/djent/core played in B Standard, Drop A and G#?

2. nin2thevoid

nin2thevoid Well-Known Member

Top quality Ibanez downtunable metal monster vs any Schecter. Heh. Easiest question I read all month.

3. kris_jammage

kris_jammage SS.org Regular

I'd have to go with the Ibanez.

4. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Ibanez hands down.

The FX is the smoothest guitar I own.

5. studmiester7

studmiester7 SS.org Regular

I own the SLS C-7....hands down, one of the best necks I have ever played on. The build quality is outstanding, and playability is insane, and the C-7's come with the offset dot inlay; instead of the hellsgate skull. You'd kick yourself in the teeth if you missed out on buying this beast of a 7. Never was a fan of Schecter, but the SLS line is their gem.

6. Eeedwardsson

Eeedwardsson Member

Thanks for the fast response!

I think I´ll go with the Ibanez then! Such a beautiful guitar. But I will probably replace the stock pickups with some BKP Aftermaths or with a Lundgren M7.
    Any other recommendations about pickups for this guitar? Or will the BareKnuckle Afthermath sound good with the basswood body etc.?

7. halomojo

halomojo SS.org Regular

I agree, I would take the Ibanez in this situation. A lot of this is influenced by the brand perception of Ibanez vs Schecter though. I think Ibanez has a great history behind their company, make excellent instruments, and are slightly more tasteful than Schecters. I don't want a guitar to scream "adolescence!" at me, for whatever that's worth.

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

My vote goes to the Ibanez. Can't go wrong with the necks, and the Tight-End7 is supposedly really comfortable (I've only played the 6 string version) plus the fretwork will be better, and I've always thought that the RGD contours are a bit more comfortable than carved-top guitars like the Schecter and various Jacksons.

9. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

Ibanez easily. Though I have heard good things about the SLS

10. GiveUpGuitar

GiveUpGuitar Give Up the Goods!

I may just be an Ibanez fanboy and a sucker for RGD's, or I may just hate Schecters for all the right reasons.

11. s2k9k

s2k9k SS.org Regular

How is that a comparison? :nono:

12. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

the most beloved brand in the forum against one of the most disliked,this is gonna be an interesting match :lol:

13. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers

I'd say the Schecter. For me the neck is pretty thin without being TOO thin, and it doesn't have the godawful shoulders that I've experienced on nearly every Ibanez neck except the ones that cost 3k :lol:. That and the satin is a fantastic touch, you have the option to go hardtail (unless the 2127 comes hardtail now, not sure), and every one that I've played has been fantastic so far on the SLS side of things.

I honestly think the SLS slays the RGD. Obviously people WILL disagree, but I'd definitely say try both if you can. I've played both, and I honestly don't believe the RGD has that much over the SLS.

14. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

If the quality of the SLS is as good as on my Blackjack ATX C-1, I'd say give it a try.
    I've played many Ibanez RG, and they are all super comfy and good guitars. But the blackjack is just such a nice guitar. The ATX feels like a high end ESP guitar in price range 2x higher.

But ofc.. The best thing would be to try them both, because all in all they are both good quality guitars.

15. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

He's specifically asking about the hardtail version of the 2127 in the poll. :scratch:

16. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

I'm gonna say the Schecter. I don't like Ibanez necks at ALL.

17. RuffeDK

RuffeDK SS.org Regular

Havn't played any of the guitars. But as an RG1527 owner, first-hand-experience with the new Tight-End R, and from what I hear about the RGD-series, my vote obviously goes to the RGD2127FX.

18. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

They are different beasts in construction, neck profile, headstock design, pickups, body materials and shape. I wouldn't make a decision based on a public poll, I'd try to play both guitars before spending >1000 euros on any of those. These are not cheap ass used guitars that you'll just sell in 2 weeks if you dislike them. If you can't try them, buy the Ibanez (it has a bigger fan base, hence better resale chances and value if you accidentally can't live with it). But I'd try them, both.

...and I did try them both, actually :lol: Well, almost: it was the trem version of the RGD. Quality-wise, there's not much difference, maybe the Ibanez has a little edge with a better fretwork, but both are well made instruments. Normally, I'm an Ibanez guy, and I was stunned by the neck of the SLS. Pretty much perfect work from Schecter, for me, easily their best neck so far. I prefer the RGD body, I'm not a fan of the archtop (I sold my DKMGT because of that). Upper fret access is fine on both, SLS having a slightly better access obviously. I never tried a Tight-End bridge, but I'm not a fan of the TOM stlye, so for me, this round goes to the Ibanez. Finally, RGD pickups sound not that bad actually, but you can add some cash to the RGD's price if you want to make it sound like it should. Tough call, man! Not that obvious than it seems to be after reading this thread. You can't go wrong with any of those, still, you have to figure out what suits you more. Good luck!

19. steffgang

steffgang SS.org Regular

I own both a Japanese Mahogany bodied Ibanez RG520 and a Schecter (the C1-EX Blackjack) and I find them being very very different guitars. A Japanese Ibanez is a better quality than Schecters are for sure but I wouldn't say the Schecter quality is unsatisfactory at all. Tone-wise the Schecter is in a territory that the RG can't touch just because of the set neck construction and the beefier neck. Now the SLS neck is thinner and I haven't touch one to say how different it is.

So Ibanez is better if we're talking quality, but is not necessarily the right choice. You might find that the Schecter fits you better so try both or just try any Schecter Blackjack and any High end RG and decide this way..

20. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers

It's not my fault Ibanez has incredibly complicated serial numbers :squint:.

I get them mixed up all the time :(