Pod xt recording performance question

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by nocturnous, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nocturnous

nocturnous Maximum Volumizer

I just got a pod xt, everything works , I use cubase sx 3, my pc's sound card is a standard soundblaster xfi and I use the creative asio driver.

I also use ez drummer and superior 2 and other vsts while I record.

I did switch it to the line 6 asio and hooked up my speakers to the headphone out on the pod xt, and loaded up ez drummer and dinked around and it sounded fine, but there is really no way to tell if it can handle the stress of one of my records I love my vsts.

I have a few options I do have a mixer as well going into the line in on my xfi so I can output that way and usb.

Both 24 bit and I record at 41 khz

So my question is what would give me the best performance results and quality?

Using my pod xt as a sound card for all my vsts and junk

Using the Asio wrapper Aiso4all mixing everything and outputting through my xfi

Or hooking up the pod to my mixer via stereo line out and using my xfi for everything.

2. Plankis

Plankis SS.org Regular

I've been wondering this too. I have usually just record through the line-out, because I haven't figured out how to route everything to the pod, yet. I can't get midistuff to work properly, plus the creative midisounds sounds nice.

There is a difference (for me atleast) in the line-in sound and the usb. Did a short clip: SoundClick artist: Plankis - page with MP3 music downloads
    First is line-in and second is usb.
    The first has less mids. But both clips are the same patch

Some more questions:
    Have you done any A/B-tests with line-in and USB? Is it a major difference like mine?
    Have you managed to route everything through the pod?

3. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    Yeah, I was kinda hoping that it's possible to route everything through the pod as well, since my soundcard sucks.

4. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

use the Podxt, i do. I only just started doing it a couple of months back, and man does it make a hell of a difference. remember to change the soundcard settings to line6 in your DAW as well as in your computer settings! then just run your monitors/headphones whatever into the pod and use that to listen to everything.

Plankis, i made the mistake of doing a lot of recordings through the line-in. but the USB sounded so superior that i re-recorded most of my stuff! it's fuller, and you get the entire stereo spectrum