POD HD500x?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by kchay, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I sold my Hd500 nearly 2 years ago because they wouldn't implement an IR loader despite it being one of the most requested features on their forum.

Seeing stuff like this just reminds me how bad a company Line6 is. Either way they sell thousands of units wether they listen to their customers or not.

2. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

When will it come out, because my birthday is coming up soon.......

3. UncurableZero

UncurableZero SS.org Regular

The cool thing about the HD500X is that now the regular one dropped a 100 Euros in price on thomann, making it cheaper than the 400 :lol:
    Line6 Pod HD500 - Thomann UK

4. kchay

kchay SS.org Regular

Funnily enough, no, I don't have a printer at home. Funny, isn't it?
    I just think that nowadays, where people are used to USB ports as standard, this could be a more useful port. And it wouldn't be as fragile, as I've found the pins.
    Just my opinion on the matter. It's annoying, as I had to get a separate interface to link the computer to the POD.

5. DropTheSun

DropTheSun SS.org Regular

Well this was just a bad "new" product. Line 6 doesn't seem to know what their customers want or they don't care or they don't know how to do it. HD500 was/is a great product and cheap for what it offers. After years Line 6 decide to release almost exact the same product called HD500X. What are these guys doing at the Line 6 pod line? It looks to me that they are not doing their jobs!

I haven't seen any fw updates for my hd500 in many months. I also have Axe FX II that have had new fw updates offering new amps and features. My axe is only a two months old and i've updated it three or four times already. Fractal audio really offers a great customer service, also in their forum. Just saying, that Line 6 should improve their game, because atm they are far behind the others in products and service.

6. SjPedro

SjPedro SS.org Regular

well whoever tries to sell their current HD500's now will have to sell them for really cheap.

Since the old HD500 can be bought new for 400 euros, the HD500X is worth 495...

Guess the guys that try to sell them now, have to sell them for like 250-300

EDIT: BTW, I don't think we can compare Axe FX with the Line 6 POD line. Where as the Axe FXII is a unit that costs a whole lot more than the POD.
    Sure, Line 6 could do a better job when it comes to software updates and the bottom line is that it should be their number 1 concern at this point

7. DropTheSun

^Yes!
    I'm only comparing the customer service between these two companys. Axe FX is in a different league with it's modeling technology and the price is five times more than HD500X, so it should be.

8. leechmasterargentina

leechmasterargentina Leandro

Don't take it personal, but I just tried to simplify a solution for you that doesn't involve buying an interface.

If you have basic knowledge on soldering, it shouldn't be that hard as long as you do everything with patience and take care of things. Getting a replacement USB (printer-like) port shouldn't be that hard. Any electronic shops/computer stores should have them, and they wouldn't cost as much as an interface. If you feel you're not up to the task, any electronics repair shop can do that and still, this job would probably cost less than buying an interface.

In my oppinion, you're losing too much by overlooking this matter because you can't update firmware in your unit nor modify patches with POD HD500 Edit. I know you can do that with the knobs in the interface, but I've owned a board without USB support like this and believe me, you'll have to think on a new spine for your back after a while. Besides, working with POD HD500 Edit is way faster and comfortable.

I always suggest people to record over an interface that has S/PDIF inputs on the sole reason that with an internal PCI or PCIe interface, you can go as low as 64 samples (around 1,2 ms) of latency. Other than that, recording over the USB interface of your POD and using Line 6's ASIO drivers is still great because you don't generate reconversion, latency at it's lowest is 128 samples (around 2 ms) which is still great and unnoticeable unless you have bionic ears, and recording quality is 24-bit/ 96k which is the highest you can go with S/PDIF too.

Fix that USB port please, you'll thank me later.

9. slaws

slaws SS.org Regular

I have the original POD Pro. I just think it's funny how they keep rehousing the same software. I lost track of how many variations you can get an original POD, same with the X3, HD, UX, M series, etc, etc.

This is like record labels releasing live albums and "Best of" albums to pass time and grab some cash before a new studio album comes out.

10. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Maybe the lesson here is that you shouldn't expect the same update schedule for a $500 piece of gear that you get for a $2000+ piece of gear?

11. AlexeyKo

AlexeyKo Active Member

Only increased level of DSP? No, i need new amps there and increasing of clean tones quality.

12. DropTheSun

Well, a company that cares about it customers, offers a great customer service. Latest fw update for hd500 was 10/16/12. It's been wayyyy too quiet in there (even for 500$ unit, if the price matters here) and now that we see what Line 6 has been doing (HD500X) and there are no signs of custom IR's or fixing those damn EQ's etc. Makes me just wonder, do they care only about the money? I don't see anything happening at the pod line. Only a three years old unit getting a facelift.

13. celticelk

Personally, I think anyone who's expecting custom IR loading in a $500 modeler is smoking something. You'd have to do a whole lot more interface work just to load and manage the damn things, without even considering whether Line 6's current algorithms operate in such a way that you could just drop an IR into the chain and have it work properly - and if they don't, I highly doubt that they're going to rework their entire modeling architecture to let you use someone else's models.

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Digitech GSP1101 does IR loading at this price....

15. celticelk

It's not DigiTech's work, though - it's a third-party update. Using it to claim that L6 is therefore not "keeping up" as far as firmware updates go is therefore invalid, as DigiTech isn't doing this work either. It also doesn't guarantee that the feature will continue to be available, as it essentially infringes on DigiTech's IP (the core software for the unit). And the fact that the GSP1101's architecture happens to make IR loading possible is no guarantee that the HD500's architecture will as well. (And don't forget that the price for the DigiTech unit only includes the rackmount processor, whereas for the HD500 it's the processor and floorboard; a GSP1101-and-floorboard bundle would run you about $750.)

tl;dr: Apples-and-oranges comparison.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say it wasn't Digitech's work. A Digitech employee did it. They were just too lazy to officialize it.

Not that I have one anyways, I just thought it brought up a good point that it CAN be done.

17. kchay

kchay SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I probably should.

18. bob123

bob123 Banned

they use the same firmware.... the same upgrades will be applicable to the 500, 500x, and HD models dude.

19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

What annoys me is the fact Line6 flat out avoid responding to this request. They have no interest in pleasing a small portion of their customer base by implementing this feature. It took me nearly 2 years of bugging them to drop the Line6 Device Dongle before they finally did so maybe there is hope yet.

20. celticelk

Or possibly they don't feel it's worth rewriting their entire modeling architecture in order to make that feature possible. The people complaining about L6's failure to respond to customer demands for IR loading seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions about the ease of implementation here.