Pod Hd500x Tone/mixtest

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
After getting a tone I was really satisfied with on my pod, I wanted to record it and to see how it sounded in a mix. Unfortunately I don't know how to mix drums or bass nor do I have any decent drum samples. Anyways I remembered I had the di tracks from Nolly's blackhawk pickup demo which also had a very good bass/drum track. So I used that to just test out my tone in a mix.

only post processing after the pod is just eq (mostly high/low pass). Tell me what you guys think!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/noah-watts/pod-hd500x-test[/SC]

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
Nice man... I have the POD HD PRO X and can't get it to sound like that at all. Great work.

Thanks! After messing with it for a while and reading guides on the internet etc, I found that the best tone so far (for me at least) was to use dual cabinets.

Basically to get 'the best of the worlds' form the cabs, you just set up two of the same amps with the same settings and have one amp set up for a bright cab/mic combo and the other amp set up for a dark/bassy cab and mic combo. Then you turn down the volume on the bright and roll it up until you get the right amount of high end. Unfortunately there is a lot of phase issues and weird stuff going on with a lot of the dual cab combos. There are ways to correct these phase issues but they still sound weird off to me, so I use the dual cab combos without phase issues. I got all this from this guide here MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide - Cabs/Mics

For this tone in particular I used a treadplate v30 cab with on axis 57 and a xxl v30 with a 409 dyn. I find this gives me the most full and modern sound.

Also I see a lot of people messing with eq and all that on the pod and I found that most off them make the tone kind of weird and fizzy/crackly. So I set up my pod for more of a bright and live sound without eq and just eq it for a mix on my computer. Which is basically just a high/low pass anyways.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I found that the best tone so far (for me at least) was to use dual cabinets.

^^^Bingo! That's what I did as well. I used two Mesa Rectifiers with the same settings but I believe I used the same cab just different mics. You can hear my POD HD tone by clicking the SoundCloud link in my signature below. It's a very rough mix and I still need to tweak the post EQ a tad, but you get the idea.

Rev.

Latest posts