POD HD tone fizziness

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Oreo_Death, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Oreo_Death

Oreo_Death Blackbird

Hey guys

So I've been recording lately, and it used to not bug me at all because I was just recording to remember, but I realize that a lot of my high-gain tones have a lot of high-end fizz. I've been trying to use my Parametric EQ to help fix it but I dont quite know if it's helping. I had just realized that changing the input sources helped a bit, but the fizz is definitely destroying my recordings. Any advice?

2. Dans

Dans Dans_Envisage

Hey there, I'll just throw my two cents and see if that helps.
    For hi gain patches, I usually go with these two EQs for controlling the hi end:
    One is Parametric EQ, if there's a fizz on certain frequency. Note that it can only go up to about 4500 hz, but most of the time it works. Simply use a tight notch to cut out the fizz.
    The other is Mid Focus EQ, if the whole high end is uncontrolled. I usually go with 30%-50% Q which will not boost any unwanted highs and slowly bring down the LP freq til it sound natural and controlled.
    I'd also like to address that from my experience, the treble knob on the amp can really affects the amount of fizz, so you wouldn't want to go crazy with it, use the presence knob or the high shelf on the Parametric EQ instead if you need some air and clarity.
    Last but not least, the treble on the boost pedal (if you have one), the treble on the amp, the high shelf on the Parametric EQ and the LP filter on the Mid Focus EQ really all go hand-in-hand on controlling the highs imo.
    Hope that helps :)

3. Oreo_Death

Oreo_Death Blackbird

Where would you put the EQs? I decided just to tear a patch apart and start from scratch. I know people say there is no right or wrong place but they do make a difference. What would you recommend?

And what do you mean by a tight notch?

4. LolloBlaskhyrt

LolloBlaskhyrt HD Pro abuser

For my studio patches I add the EQ in the DAW when mixing, usualli is an extremely narrow cut at 7k. For live purposes, I do the same but with a parametric EQ. I don't remember the extact percentage, but if you check meambobbo's guide you'll find a frequency chart! This cut obviously is paired with HPF and LPF (10k more or less). The hiss is really annoying expecially in those cab/mic combo as Mesa4x12/Sm57, so try to avoid those combination and try also controlling the high frequency on the amp section and in the overdrive section (if you're using it). That being said, stock cab/mics really suck! They're not even close to what they're simulating and IMO they're not even IRs. When recording, I turn off cab/mics and I use Redwirez, much better. Also, don't be fooled by the loudness of stock cabinets, they're way more loud than any 3rd-party IR but you don't need loudness, you need precision and dynamic response, and the HD cabs are compressed and unreliable in the studio. If IRs are too quiet, bring the track volume up or (even better), bring down the other tracks volume.

5. Dans

Dans Dans_Envisage

My general approach is to use pre-amp EQs for boosting (sounds more natural), post-amp EQ for taking out unwanted frequencies.

By tight notch I mean something like taking out a certain freq with Q at 85% or even higher, just enough to get rid of the unwanted frequency.

Btw if you like to check out how I build my patch, here is a good example I just posted not long ago. ;)

I second this! Meambobbo's guide has been super helpful for me too!
    And yeah, I can't stress enough how crucial the cab/mic combination is to the tone, using additional IRs is definitely a great way to go!

6. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

Let us ear and download a riff with your tone so we can tell where are the issues

7. Harmsown

Harmsown Well-Known Member

Add a parametric EQ. Set the Q to 80-90%, GAIN to 70-80& and then go to FREQUENCY slowly sweep up from 50% until you hear that horrible SCKSHHHHHHHHHHHHH crap. Locate the most offensive spot to your ears and then back the gain down below 50% or until you hear the harsh spot fade out. Test this by turning the EQ pedal off and on in your signal chain. You can hear how much of a difference it makes.

Good luck ! :yesway:

8. Oreo_Death

Oreo_Death Blackbird

I totally just scrapped it last night out of frustration :lol: I plan on sitting down for the next few hours and trying to get some tones out. If you guys don't mind listening to a horrendous tone as I'm still really new with this, I wouldn't mind posting what I make and getting some feedback

But for reals, I know im far from making good tones so please go easy on me when I do post it haha

9. Oreo_Death

Oreo_Death Blackbird

I did that but I honestly cant tell a difference. Maybe im not doing something right? Should I tweak the Low and High settings as well?:scratch:

10. MarcusProg

MarcusProg SS.org Regular

I find that reducing the gain you use to the bare minimum improves your tone a lot. Try fiddling with the Treble and Presence knobs as well as the cab/mic configurations. I'm partial to a 4x12 Uber with a 87 Cond.

11. Oreo_Death

Oreo_Death Blackbird

I actually just figured out that my output mode wasn't studio/direct, rather combo power amp or something. I can already notice a drastic change in sound. Maybe now the EQs will do more. Now I pretty much have to rework all of my patches though :lol: