Pod HD: still can't get palm mutes to sound "right"

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Rizzo, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I like the cleans and crunches, but could never get ok metal tones. The point is, what's decent out there that's under 1k nowadays? Nothing, I'd say...the entry level price point is dead for guitar processors.

PS I'll also try software sims, which I always hated (but there's tons of new entries on the market now), still they wouldn't solve the live playing scenario

2. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

You could look into getting a used amp suitable for metal. Almost all analog tube amps people mentioned here in the forum (ie. mesa+boost, 5150, etc) and other digital devices (ie. axefx) were good for me. Recently I was impressed with the new 50 watts EVH amp. I guess this all depends on how you define your ideal palm muted tones I guess though.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I'm not interested in getting a real amp for the time being since I've been a 100% bedroom player for a while now so it would be a huge and needless investment, and I'm more interested in recording/experimenting in general to add upon that.

An Axe would be the real deal, but it's totally out of my league as of now. I'll insist in squeezing the potential out of the Pod and see what happens in the market, I guess...

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The Fractal AX8 can be found for less than $1000. I think they are only $1100 new.

I think the Helix LT can be found in a similar price range also.

5. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

I know the answer is always "BY MOAR GERE", but you should look up John Browne's Pod HD tone packs. Just $10 apiece (there are only two packs), and that's all he used to record his first solo joint, Qatsi. The rhythm tones on it are pretty damn tight and clear.

6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

There’s lots of tutorials on YouTube on how to get a killer metal tone. Have you started there?

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I feel like there is something fundamentally wrong here. Sure the hd500 might not be the BEST in the west but you should still be able to get tones that sound and feel correct out of it. Figure that out before you go dropping money on new stuff.

Im guessing your gain is low. Palm mutes need gain.

Bonus points: Add a little bass in in your pre eq too if you need more girth. And throw a multi band compressor after the power amp to compress down the bass frequencies so the palm mutes aren't flubby.

8. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Problem's on the way to being solved, I'm fiddling as I write this. The main culprit was the low master volume parameter. I'm gradually adding gain, front boosting and compression and it's getting better.

GunpointMetal, mikah912 and Bearitone like this.
  9. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

^This!

To the OP,
    Try using a real OD/distortion pedal instead of relying on the amp sim's gain or a sim TS/OD. Ive found that a Boss SD-1 fattens up an otherwise underweight tone, whereas a TS does just the opposite.

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I play nothing but real high-watt/high gain tube amps and have absolutely no problem enjoying them at bedroom levels.

mnemonic likes this.
  11. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Just get an axe fx standard or ultra. They can be had for under a grand all day. The mooer ge200 could also be a good inexpensive solution.

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

sell Pod HD, buy Ax8