Pod HD: still can't get palm mutes to sound "right"

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Rizzo, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Not posting in the Pod HD thread since it's been basically abandoned.

So, it seems that after all these years of owning a Pod HD500, I can't get high gain tones to sound fully right in any possible way. The general tone is ok, but on single note stuff and especially on any kind of palm muted stuff (may it be chords or single notes) the actual "tone" suddenly disappears and I'm left with a clean-ish signal that's basically just an hollow "woof" of low mids plus noise, missing any body to it.

I'm used to use the least amount of gain as possible but I tested and this seemingly happens at any level of gain, both with guitar-same and guitar-variax, and even with both OD and compression engaged pre-amp. I usually use the FBall sim. I just don't know what to do, any advice?

2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I can't comment on your specific problem as I would need a sound file to hear what's happening but in general I can give you the advice to either: Skip the internal cab sim and go straight into the FX return of a proper amp so you have some actual air moving, or if you're full digital: Get an IR loader (Torpedo CAB, Mooer Radar, etc.) and use that instead of the internal cabinets. Both options will improve the Pod drastically.

What do you use to monitor your playing?

3. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Recovered 3 clips of me noodling around yesterday on Reaper while testing for the issue. Some muting on riffs and galloping involved. Sorry for the horrible playing, I'm trying to get back to the instrument. Notice how muted notes are woofy and seem not to saturate at all in comparison to the rest of the playing unless I pick extremely hard. Tell me what you think.

http://picosong.com/wfuMq
    http://picosong.com/wfuMf
    http://picosong.com/wfuMu

Both suggested options are not viable since 1. I don't have anything analog anymore lying around, gone full digital and 2. I don't have the budget for an IR loader an neither would be interested (I'd rather save up for a wholly better modeler in case).
    I'm playing through an FRFR and I'm sure I get the same exact sound both while monitoring via hardware and in the recording.

4. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I think you can ad IR in reaper with a free loader and use a free IR just need too turn off cab sims.

I could be wrong though

5. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I know but I'd like to solve the problem disregarding external IR since the Pod is my only resource for live playing as well

6. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Could always be something basic. Maybe something's off in the chain you set up. What's your tone? Can you post a pic of POD HD Edit showing your effects and settings? I use the Fireball setup for one of my tones too, with a tubescreamer.

7. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Sure, this is the tone. Taking the screens reminded me I forgot to test the amp's master volume parameter. Been away from the Pod for a while. I usually used to keep it low to keep the mids airy and the overall gain compression low.

I added the compressor just yesterday, it helps a bit. The screamer is off just for a different flavor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

In my main rhythm patch I've been gigging with on my HD500 for the last few years, I've been using Dual amps, with a lot of extra EQ's added - and this made a huge difference.

Although I do use mine through a Tube amp with cab sims off.

I'd also suggest looking at the PODHD community on Line 6, as you can download user uploaded tones still (I believe, unless they've taken it down since Helix) and see if any of these are better than your current settings.

9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I hated the stock IR's in the 500 and NEVER used them if I didn't have to.

You should really look into getting external IR loader.

Also, the double amp suggestion is a great idea as well...really thickens up the tone.

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I see bass being cut on the Drive & Screamer, bass cut on the Amp, and a HP applied. It's important to tame those low frequencies, but maybe the problem is that too much has been taken out?

GunpointMetal likes this.
  11. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

More bass just made it sound muddy. Mind I'm playing this through my all-mahogany Schecter. Also I don't think bass frequencies have anything to do with the problem...now that I think about it I should really try separating between a rhythm and a lead preset (an approach I always hated on all my modelers) and drive that amp master back up. But keep the suggestions coming.

12. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

How are your input and output set inside the unit and how the little swithces between master volume pot and expression pedal are?

13. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Input: guitar-same (also tried guitar-variax)
    Output: direct
    Switches: out line, guitar pad

14. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Turn down the Early Reflections to around 10-15%, turn down the sag to around 25%, turn up the master, then bring in some more the bass in the amp.
    I owned the HD500X for years, and the weakest part of the chain is the cab modeling. Adding an IR loader would be the fastest way to get better tones, or start saving up for a Helix LT, and even then, add in IRs.

Rizzo likes this.
  15. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Sounds to me like you need way more gain to get that really fat palm mute sound. The ENGL f-ball amp doesn't have much lows like the Rektifier so try some more bass as well. The boost you got disabled wouldn't hurt to be enabled either.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I used to always stick a Vetta Juice Compressor in front of everything in my presets when I had a HD500 years ago. Many Line 6 products have this thing where it is like they are "too dynamic" and high gain never sounds right unless you really attack the strings hard. Using the Vetta Juice helped even it out some where I didn't have to kill the strings, but also didn't sound like I was using a compressor.

I have an Axe-FX II now, but there are 2 controls in the amp block that sort of do the same thing in the Axe-FX II.

Rizzo likes this.
  17. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Turn off the PAD on the input.

18. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Do you have a real life tubescreamer or other boost? I always liked a real boost in front of my podxt back in the day, and I still use a real boost from time to time with my axe fx II.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  19. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Sadly nothing else than the Pod is lying around the house anymore. But a friend recommended that solution too.

20. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

I would say get rid of your POD HD and get something else. I could never get tones I liked with POD.