POD HD Bass Tone Tutorial - Metal/Progressive/Etc... VIDEO CONTENT

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by KhzDonut, Jul 8, 2014.

1. KhzDonut

KhzDonut Luthier, Gamer, Heretic

I had some people ask me on YouTube to make a tutorial or to share my patches for my POD HD Bass tones, so after like a year I finally got around to it. :p

Tutorial Video on YouTube

And here's links to my tone patches on CustomTone

Blank Template
    Line 6 CustomTone
    Gritty
    Line 6 CustomTone
    Heavily Distorted
    Line 6 CustomTone

There's also links to the tones in the Video Description that are hosted on my website, if for whatever reason CustomTone is being weird.

2. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

Awesome video dude! As someone who's just stepping into the world of bass and is about to get a Pod HD this helps a lot in getting to know what to look for.

Quick question, have you used the bass expansion pack and if so, was it significantly easier to create good metal tones using it? I'm still trying to wrap my head around using 2 amps with separate signal chains to accentuate different frequencies/sounds, but it seems pretty ...ing cool!

3. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

About time that someone tried their hand at touching on this. Well done!

4. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue Frankensteeeeein!

But it's possible that your ears are utter shit.

Brilliant! :lol:

5. KhzDonut

KhzDonut Luthier, Gamer, Heretic

If you're referring to the Ampeg model in the POD HD, then yes, I've used it. I also remember there being a bass expansion pack for the POD XT (which was included by default in the X3) which had LOTS of bass amps.

Anyway...

In the XT/X3, the bass amps were much better suited for metal tones, because you had things like the Gallien Krueger, SWR, and Mesa Boogie models, all of which were really kickass for that grinding metal sound.

However, the POD HD as a rule handles the low end better (at least I think so) and has a host of other tools that are just better sounding to me, even though few are DESIGNED for bass.

You can totally use the Ampeg Portaflex model as the amp, instead of the Fender amp I used, but it's really better suited for punchy vintage tones than it is for bright, pick-attack type tones. That's the one thing I think clean, sparkly guitar amps are great for, adding the chime after you increase the attack and gain with a distortion pedal, just so long as you don't have too much low end going into them. That's why it's so important for me to run a dual patch, I like a massive, clean low end, but that much low end turns a distortion pedal and guitar amp into a fart factory really fast. :p

And I don't go into it in this video, but using something like ReCabinet or other impulse loader will be an improvement over using the POD HD cabinets when recording. If nothing else, it'll give you more options, and that's always good :D

Thank you, sir. Much appreciated :)

:D

6. david_pri

david_pri SS.org Regular

Thanks for the tutorial

7. d00by

d00by Member

This awesome dude! Both guitarists in my band use these, I wonder what it would sound like if I ran my darkglass b7k in front??