Pod Go Latency - help!

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Last Monday I bought a Pod Go to finally have an upgrade to my recording setup, and it got here today. I've been super excited for it, but I've already had problems with the thing. I have it plugged into my Mac via USB (and USB-C) adapter, where I'm using GarageBand as a DAW. About every 15-30 minutes of playing, I've experienced a huge latency spike of about 1-2 seconds, which totally wrecks the whole playing experience. The only fix I've found is to turn the Pod off and on again. This is pretty annoying for obvious reasons, and to top it off, whenever I turn it back on, the Pod Edit software prompts me to update the device's software to version 1.40-- but I've already done that upon installation. I put in a service ticket on the line 6 website, but does anybody have any troubleshooting advice in the meantime? Or has anybody had a similar experience?

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. I've had mine since they came out and record/monitor with the PODGo and haven't had these problems. Have you tried a different DAW by any chance?

Rob Joyner

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man. I've had mine since they came out and record/monitor with the PODGo and haven't had these problems. Have you tried a different DAW by any chance?
do you have recording tips for the PodGO? Their manual is abysmal

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't tried that out, actually. Are there any decent DAWs for free out there? I'm working with a college student budget, which is to say that since buying the pod I've been living off pretzels 😆

As an aside, I've narrowed the issue down to likely being a software issue, so I'm running a sysdiagnose right now. I just wanna make sure the issue isn't on Apple's end (either the OS or GarageBand).

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
do you have recording tips for the PodGO? Their manual is abysmal
Not so much just PODGo per se, recording in general. But running DI's when you can is a HUGE help, especially when using the Go. With so many options available, it's nice to tweak the sound you get from the POD while the DI is playing vs tweak a little, play a little.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't tried that out, actually. Are there any decent DAWs for free out there? I'm working with a college student budget, which is to say that since buying the pod I've been living off pretzels 😆

As an aside, I've narrowed the issue down to likely being a software issue, so I'm running a sysdiagnose right now. I just wanna make sure the issue isn't on Apple's end (either the OS or GarageBand).
Definitely give Reaper a try. The evaluation runs forever. That's what i use and have had zero issues with it using the PODGo's ASIO drivers. Absolutely zero latency as well.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely give Reaper a try. The evaluation runs forever. That's what i use and have had zero issues with it using the PODGo's ASIO drivers. Absolutely zero latency as well.
Good to know, I'll have to give it a try.

The issue is 100% a software issue and it might be on GarageBand's end. I plugged the Pod into a practice amp and while it didn't sound great, I had it plugged in for an hour and there were no issues whatsoever.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good to know, I'll have to give it a try.

The issue is 100% a software issue and it might be on GarageBand's end. I plugged the Pod into a practice amp and while it didn't sound great, I had it plugged in for an hour and there were no issues whatsoever.
Does your amp have an effects loop? If so, bypass the preamp and use the amp like a little power amp for the POD. It'll sound MUCH better

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does your amp have an effects loop? If so, bypass the preamp and use the amp like a little power amp for the POD. It'll sound MUCH better

That would be pretty sweet, but I don't think it does? It's just a Boss Katana mini so it has a delay and some EQ knobs.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That would be pretty sweet, but I don't think it does? It's just a Boss Katana mini so it has a delay and some EQ knobs.
Yeah i just looked it up and nah it doesn't have one. Regardless of what you try, it's gonna sound like butt. It's fighting with the preamp section of your amp. But seriously, try out Reaper. It's on mac as well.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah i just looked it up and nah it doesn't have one. Regardless of what you try, it's gonna sound like butt. It's fighting with the preamp section of your amp. But seriously, try out Reaper. It's on mac as well.
Sweet! Also I'm pretty clueless as far as modelers/interfaces go; when you say ASIO drivers, what is that referring to?

Rob Joyner

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not so much just PODGo per se, recording in general. But running DI's when you can is a HUGE help, especially when using the Go. With so many options available, it's nice to tweak the sound you get from the POD while the DI is playing vs tweak a little, play a little.
sorry to bother you again with another question, but when you record a DI via PodGO is it just the signal with all the blocks disabled?

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
sorry to bother you again with another question, but when you record a DI via PodGO is it just the signal with all the blocks disabled?
No problem at all dude. Nah, you leave all your signal as you would when you would be playing it. You just set the input to USB 3/4. This video is what helped me get it figured out a while back, check it out;

Not only does that set you up for reamping in the POD, but if you are just wanting to record the DI of a track but hear something besides a dry signal when monitoring it does that as well. This is the setup i use for my bass. I have my tone that i really love, but i always record the DI as well so if i get a wild hair (like i do ALL THE TIME haha) then the bass is already recorded and ready for reamping.

Rob Joyner

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No problem at all dude. Nah, you leave all your signal as you would when you would be playing it. You just set the input to USB 3/4. This video is what helped me get it figured out a while back, check it out;

Not only does that set you up for reamping in the POD, but if you are just wanting to record the DI of a track but hear something besides a dry signal when monitoring it does that as well. This is the setup i use for my bass. I have my tone that i really love, but i always record the DI as well so if i get a wild hair (like i do ALL THE TIME haha) then the bass is already recorded and ready for reamping.

can't thank you enough! you are the best :)

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Okay, good news (knock on wood)!

I figured out the issue, I think. I thought I had all the requisite drivers installed for the Mac, but I guess one of them didn't install correctly? So in any case I re-downloaded the driver and rebooted the system...no problems with latency spikes since. It's now been roughly 2 weeks issue free, so I think that was the problem.

Feels pretty silly that it was just something like a driver not installed correctly, but what are ya gonna do? I've really been able to dig into the Pod at this point and it's pretty great how tweakable it is. Obviously it's no Helix or Axe-FX or whatever, but for being my first modeler unit, I'm super excited about it.

Thanks for everyone's help!