Pod Farm?????

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by TonalArchitect, Oct 18, 2008.

1. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

Line 6 - POD Studio

So I went to the Line 6 website and I see different-colored Toneports called Pod Studios. Apparently these things are the new versions of Toneports, but what's interesting is the program they use. It's called Pod Farm and seems to be the new Amp Farm. Their site doesn't look to be fully updated at this point, and the information they give is incomplete.

So is this their stab at the next generation of ampmodeling, or is it the Pod X3 as a plug-in (it offers the dual tone feature)?

2. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Hmmm... so far, all I see different is software, and that just seems to be a new graphical interface on Gearbox - though if it comes out of the box with VST plugin capability and dual amping, it's a decent step up.

Then again, I'm not familiar with Amp Farm. :shrug:

Edit: yeah, it comes with the plugin and dual amping; the Platinum version has the Metal Pack, Bass Pack, and FX Junkie included (maybe more).

3. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

It is compatible with VST, AU (Audio Unit for Logic, Garageband and other DAWs) and RTAS (Protools), so it looks quite useful.

4. kristallin

kristallin punk'd

ARGH it uses an iLok!!!! Instant fail, but the other features look pretty nice, the dual-amping is always useful, and it looks like it's native and won't need a Line 6 hardware unit to authorize, but I really could be wrong there.

5. MerlinTKD

I downloaded Pod Farm last night, been messing around with it... all the same tones as my GearBox, but the graphical interface is interesting. Of most use so far is Dual Amp mode, which my GearBox does not have! I'll be testing out the VST in Reaper tomorrow night, hopefully.

6. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

POD Farm is free for everyone who has the Gearbox plugin. I downloaded it yesterday and played with it all day. The dual amp feature is more useful than I thought it would be (already got some rather nice results with it) and the interface certainly looks a lot nicer than Gearbox. I especially like the bigger knobs and dials, makes tweaking a little easier.

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

oshit really?

i got the gearbox plugin with a toneport,

i'm gonna have to check that out, i've always wanted to try out that dual amp thing.

8. Elysian

Elysian Banned

there is no dual amp feature for me, i have to purchase the addon to get that with my toneport ux1.

9. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

If you have a Toneport and the Gearbox plugin, just click "activate purchase" in the Line 6 Monkey and type refresh, and then you can download POD Farm through Monkey. I just recorded a short test with it, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I need to do some more tweaking, though.

10. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

it´s free if you have a pod X3 :D

11. kristallin

kristallin punk'd

I grabbed the POD Farm plug-in yesterday, the dual rig feature alone would be worth the purchase if I didn't already qualify for the free upgrade! It's not too heavy on the CPU load when used in Ableton Live, either. Still needs Line 6 hardware as a dongle, but it's recognizing all my model packs, and the graphical representation helps a lot compared to the GearBox depiction of amps, which usually made me scream, close the plug-in and boot up Guitar Rig...

12. mnemonic

i've got the gearbox plugin that came with my toneport (got hte gearbox gold plugin bundle) so it works for me, didn't have to activate anything.

right now i just loaded up two of my main rhythm tone, and tweaked them a bit, and i think it sounds a bit thicker. i bet this will be swe0t for combining clean tones with crunch tones and stuff. or adding some texture to a patch by adding a different amp or different mic position.

overall the podfarm interface is alot harder to use than gearbox, imo.

13. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

:orly:

[action=darren]goes to get it[/action]

14. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i just realized how to do dual amp, holy crap it rules!!!

15. darren

I was messing around with it without my TonePort DI plugged in, and wasn't terribly impressed. But then i plugged in the box and the full capability opened up. Wow. Very cool stuff. I wish there were more options to put dynamics AND distortion effects into the chain, and the ability to put effects anywhere instead of one location before the amp and one location after, and in a specific order... typical Line6 inflexibility.

But i can't wait to plug a guitar in and mess with this dual amp thing. This is amazing, and makes my $99 GearBox Gold bundle worth about 4x what i paid.

16. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i agree, i wish it had more flexibility in the fx loop, but i'm really enjoying it thus far, and it sounds really cool recorded using impulses... this makes my toneport purchase so much more worth it now!

17. darren

I'm downloading the Windows version and taking it with me to the studio tomorrow with my DI box. This is going to be FUN. I can't believe they're giving this away for free.

18. mnemonic

the dual tone thing is awesome as hell when it comes to clean and crunchy tones, which is usually where line6 stuff falls flat on its face, cos stuff tends to sound thin and crappy, but adding a clean bassy amp to a thiner slightly broken up tone sounds awesome.

19. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

I got rather decent results by mixing just a little bit of another tone to my main heavy rhythm tone, it thickened it up nicely without losing definition. I need to tweak some more and record a clip. Sadly, the plug in doesn't work in Reaper. :( I'd have to use a VST host and those things are way too resource hungry for my PC.

20. MerlinTKD

Re: the plug-in... if you don't already have a plugin license, you'll have to buy one from Line6. Even without it, I'm loving it! :D