Please help me decipher the Engl amp lineup

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bearitone, Feb 22, 2021.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

My only advice is to not listen to albums for an accurate representation of an amp's tone. Try less processed sound demos..OR if you know someone with the amp, send them a DI of your playing and see if they can send you a clip

Emperoff and budda like this.
  2. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

I've heard some killer tones out of the Powerball, but every time I've tried one it sounded like heavily compressed, scooped ass. That has to be something I'm doing wrong, but yeah, take album tones with a grain of salt. I only posted that Exodus song because I have a Savage and have personally recreated that tone with very little post-processing.

The Engl Straight is a really underrated amp, but quite frankly they're so hard to get a hold of outside of Europe they're not worth bothering with. It's got an old-school vibe, for sure, something kind-of Marshall-y but with something else mixed in there. It does hard rock, glam, and thrash really really well. Maybe not quite brutal enough for extreme metal, though.

Emperoff likes this.
  3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I think listening to albums to hear amps is okay as long as you take it for what it is. Sometimes it's hard to be sure if it's a certain amp or if it's been reamped or blended with something etc. And of course it's always just part of the chain where mics and cabs and potential eq and stuff make up a lot of the actual tone. But if you know that an album tone is a certain amp, if it sounds good then at least you know something that the amp can accomplish. If it sounds bad well then maybe the producer/engineer just screwed up or the cab sucked or something, so it doesn't have to be the amps fault.

4. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

These discussions are always tough because everyone hears things differently. I do think everyone lands on the idea that Engl is hit or miss, or that the "Engl tone" is hard to nail down as the amps vary quite a bit. Overall, I do think they are more modern leaning in both clean and distortion channels than most amps. If you are used to Orange than Engl should should more synthetic all the way around.

How it sits in a mix is another question all together. If you are jamming at home vs. playing live with one or two guitars, vs. tracking in a studio with miked cabs vs. IR...it's all different with Engl. I find the decay of Engl to be faster. It does not have the bloom of some amps especially 30 feet out or more from the cab. Much more precise and focused to my ear. But Engl does sound good at lower volumes as they rely on mostly preamp distortion and not sweet spot Marshall idea of pre and power distortion.

I just tested a bunch of my amps and a few loaners in my new venue I built on Cape Cod. We have been fighting covid for a year and the project has been a bitch. Our studio is up as is the gallery, but we can't have live music yet. But that was an opportune time to crank up some half stacks to see how certain amps fill the room as we have our stage area set up for recording as well.

Running way above stage volume and using 4x12 cabs, I learned quite a bit about our sound there. Engl sounded the most "metal" of any of the amps. We had 3 Engl tested, a Powerball, Savage II, Ritchie Blackmore. I am old school and of course found the Blackmore to be in the vein of what I like but it did not have the modern cut of the other two. I am sure cab selection played a roll, but the real interesting thing was how they blended with other amps running full out. With another Engl, Mesa dual rec, and a XXX it was nice. JVM and my big Rivera m100 were competing with them... it was harsh.

Again, this is all for my own learning curve as we open the studio for recording, I want to know what amps throw sound what way in that particular room. Engl did very well and they are nice amps.

So depending on what your goal is with the amp AND how loud you want to play, I don't think Engl is a bad investment but it is a particular animal and not as versatile as some other brands.

5. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

.....you literally just proved my point

6. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Yeah well I didn't write that to disagree with you, just posting some thoughts man.

Here, have some Savage 120 :)

DrakkarTyrannis likes this.
  7. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

This might be helpful:

Greetings, ESP Friends!

This Friday (February 26, 2021), we have another cool streamed video presentation... and this one is for those of you who love finely hand-crafted tube amplifiers. Featuring UK-based guitar and amp experts Jamie Hunt and Pat Heath, ENGL Presents 2021 is an in-depth look at the entire line of ENGL Amplifiers.

SCHEDULE
    ENGL Presents 2021 will be streamed on Friday February 26 at 10am, 2pm, and 6pm Pacific Standard Time, so no matter where you are in the world, you should have an opportunity to check it out live! The video will stream on the front page of the ESP Guitars web site, and is free to view.

8. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

I think BoO “a higher place” was done with a PBII