Playing while wearing rings

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MajorTom, Apr 27, 2016.

1. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

Specifically playing with a wedding ring on, I have no problems playing with my purple ceramic mudslide slide on my pinky, after all its a finger most of us avoid using when we first start out, but playing with a ring on my ring finger, I simply can't do, I've been practicing since the better half and I got our rings - we're not married yet, and I can't do it. I keep seeing videos of people the likes of Slash, Zakk Wylde, Lenny Kravitz, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and many other guitarists playing with not just a wedding ring on their ring finger of their fretting hand, but every finger.

I have no problems playing with rings on the fingers of my picking hand, but right now all I seem to be doing is using my wedding ring as a three string slide and scratching the hell out of it, I've had to have scratches polished out of the damn thing three times now, it's getting to the stage where if I can't learn to play with a wedding ring on, I'm going to have to wear it on a chain round my neck whenever I'm playing guitar, and I'd rather play with it on.

So any married guys out there or people who wear rings, whats the trick, do I need to lower my hand, right now whenever I play power chords that involve the top string and I fret most of the notes I play on the top string with my thumb, do I need to stop doing this and slide my hand further down the back of the neck so my fingers are further forward from the bottom of fret board?

How do you do it, I don't want to keep getting the ring polished, and if I have to wear it round my neck on a chain whenever I play because I can't learn to play with it on, I'll end up wearing it on a chain all the time. I've got around a year to learn how to do this, so I'm more the willing to put the needed effort in. Or am I over thinking it, and it is something that will eventually come naturally as I get used to wearing a ring all the time?

I know it sounds silly, but it has actually become a big worry for me.

2. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I used to have the same issue, except I would ding up the guitar with my ring chewing up the bottom of the fretboard, instead of the ring getting dinged up. I just got used to taking it off and putting it back on when I was done. Did always kind of wonder how guys like Vai could play with a fistful of metal and not run into issues, but I always just chalked that up to him being Vai.

3. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Just take the ring off.

If you can't already naturally play with it on, no need to relearn how to fret just to compensate. When you play, put it in its box. If you're going to a gig, leave it at home.

I don't think your significant other will get pissed if you take the ring off to keep it safe from damage for short periods of time every now and again.

I can play with mine on fine, but every once in a while when I might be barring a chord with my ring finger, the ring will catch the strings and make a very unpleasant metallic scrapey sound through the amp. If I'm recording, or playing out, the ring comes off.

4. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

5. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

I have to take mine off to play. It definitely messes with me. I just put it in my pocket.

And stop worrying about your ring getting scratched up. The only way to keep it pristine will be to leave it in your sock drawer indefinitely.

6. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Ditto this for me.

7. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Learn to play left-handed! :)

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Not genuinely convinced of OP's sincerity on this "topic" however I will say that one should indeed consider themselves fortunate if these kinds of things are of significant concern.

Although as it relates to my own situation, I now find myself pondering whether this may subconsciously relate to why I've been engaged for two years now lol!

9. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I was concerned about this before I got married (coming up to 10 years now) but I had no problem playing with it on. If it's an issue just take it off like mentioned already. Put it in your pocket so you don't leave it behind somewhere, or if it fits put it on the other hand for the time you're playing.

I also don't have any problems with it damaging or scraping the fretboard. But, I don't "thumb over" play, I play thumb center back neck with fingers on top - spider style.

Rev.

10. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

I'm not even married yet.

I've actually been messing around with left handed guitars, and learning to play left handed, to say it's an interesting experience is an understatement.

It looks like I will be wearing it as a chain while playing, I've never been able to get used to dropping my thumb to the center back of the fretboard, I use my thumb too much, and am too used top using it on the top two strings.

11. Hbett

Hbett SS.org Regular

I don't have a problem with rings, but I'm weird in that I wear my watch on my right hand, and I just CAN'T play with it on. Not to mention the scratching it can put on your finish.

12. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Why is it so taboo to wear wedding rings on the picking hand?

OMG! It drives me crazy to listen to someone playing with a ring on their fretting hand.

*knock*knock*knock*knock*knock*knock* :mad:

13. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I can't do it. I'm left handed too, although I play guitar right handed, so wearing a ring on the left hand was just annoying. My wife was fine with it on the right hand and so was I for almost two years, now I just don't wear it. I ding things.

14. shellbound

shellbound SS.org Regular

do you even lift, bro?

yeah, i just got used to taking it off before i play guitar or hit the gym. kind of the same reflex as dealing with your car keys/wallet. not a big deal.

15. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

Never had an issue with my wedding ring, I can't say I've ever thought about it. I play thumb over quite often and it never gets in the way.

I take it off before working out though, deadlifts dig right where the ring sits and scratch the hell out of it!

16. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

Never even thought to take it off before playing and never notice it while playing.

17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

it took me a little while to adjust but it wasn't too bad . used to bump it on the strings once in a while . I do have big hands though and never fret power chords with the ring finger ,use my pinky allot more so that could help me keep it out of the way . I do play thumb over for certain things and its no problem

I've been married 3 years now and my wedding ring is scratched up to hell. I worried about it at first but now don't really care .its kind of a good metaphor for being married

18. ChrisRushing

ChrisRushing Fretboard Acrobat

Never had any issues with it. I can hear it knocking if I am not plugged up but otherwise no biggie. I don't even remember thinking about it after putting it on the first time. I've been married long enough now that it probably would be weird to NOT be wearing it while playing.

19. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

I don't have any issues with my wedding band. My fingers aren't necessarily long but there's plenty of space between the ring and my first joint in the finger. I hardly notice it on my finger really.

Like others have said if it inhibits your playing maybe put it on a chain and wear around your neck

20. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

My problem isn't the ring knocking against the fretboard or neck, my problem is whenever I use strings 3/4, 5,6, and seven, the ring acts like a slide on strings 1, and 2 sometimes 3 as well depending on the strings I'm playing, so it makes an annoying whining, squealing sound, or acts like a slide, then there is the whole issue with it catching and 'pinging' string whenever I'm bending on the lower 3 or 4 strings.