Playing 6 string drop A and G songs on 7 string.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by landmvrks, Mar 16, 2021.

1. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

This may be a stupid question, so forgive me as a 7 string noob, but can I play 6 string drop A and drop G songs on a 7 string by just tuning the guitar so A is on the low 7 string and so on, then just ignore the top string as if it weren't there? I have a few guitars I'll be setting up that will fit the tension tuned this way for 7 strings songs, and it would make sense not to have to buy a separate baritone 6 string just for super low tunings like this when I could just use a 7.

2. RobDobble6S7

RobDobble6S7 Lizard Man

3. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Yes. But your G string on the 7 will be a Gb/F# in the 6 string.
    7: A (7str); A (6str)
    6: E (7str); E (6str)
    5: A (7str); A (6str)
    4: D (7str); D (6str)
    3: G (7str); Gb (6str)
    2: B (7str); B (6str)
    1: e (7str); - (6str)

4. Dan_Vacant

Dan_Vacant Hi I'm Dan.

Yup. I play crowbar and carcass on a 7 string both band play 6 string guitar tuned to B though.
    Like Glades mentioned there is the half step differnce on the 3rd string of a 7 string compared to the 2nd string of 6 string. I don't bother returning and try to just play a fret over from the orginal guitar part.

5. Un1corn

Un1corn Instant Djent Machine

Of course it will be totally fine

6. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

All you have to do to make it essentially a 6 with an extra high string (rather than the other way around) is to just tune the 3rd sting a half step down.

7. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

Ok great, thanks for explaining that. What I don't understand, is that a band I want to learn songs from plays in a couple of tunings including G# F A# D# G C and A# F A# D# G C. If playing these on a 7 string, am I achieving the 6th string F by tuning up from the standard E, or down from E all the way to F? There's no other tunings I would play that would tune that string down anywhere near that far, but I've also never had to tune up from standard before.

8. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Tuning up from E. Those are just drop A# and drop A# with the low string dropped an additional tone to G#

9. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

Right on, thanks. So all of those are tuning up? I've never tuned up from standard before, foreign concept to me for sure.. especially considering it's heavy music. I guess the fact they are on different strings than normal is the cause for it.

10. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Drop A# would be drop D tuning down 2 whole steps on a 6 string, or tuning half a step up from drop A on a 7. Those are the 6 string versions listed.