Played out guitar aesthetics/features

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So much yea, no, spring reverb tanks and that giant clang sound. Tremolo a bit more represented would be a nice change.

I really love the earth-shattering sound of the reverb tank getting bonked just right, but only when I want it to happen hahahaha.

My Lab Series L7 has a gorgeous-sounding spring reverb that makes very apparent god-awful sympathetic vibrations, it's so bad I thought my brand new Jensen speakers were defective for a while until I tried pushing down on the tank and presto, no more gross noise.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Whatever the fuck it is that Dunable and Balaguer do. Something about the design language.
image.png

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1) glossy shiny finishes that don't age, wear or tear
2) consistent perfection that makes instruments feel dead (but consistent)
3) crazy figured tops
4) basically anything that isn't a Les Paul Custom Black, or a 1955s goldtop

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I have never, at any time, liked relics. For me they were played out the minute I saw one. Idk why, and I know it’s just me. It’s just weird to me that I’d pay for something to be made really nice, and then pay extra to make it not nice anymore.
I said it before in this thread but I'll say it again: Relic'd metallic crazy finishes on modern guitars. Bet they also wish their brand new McLaren was also relic'd. *cough* Larada *cough*

Looks silly.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
-Coil taps on both volume and tone knobs( just experienced this for first time on some local E-II's in Shibuya, hated it)

Dude, no way, dual individual coil taps are AWESOME.

It gives you additional HS and SH options in middle position on a 3-way.

Einhander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude, no way, dual individual coil taps are AWESOME.

It gives you additional HS and SH options in middle position on a 3-way.
It just wasn't for me. But also for the style of my play it's not needed. It was just a bummer for the model of guitar I was looking at and didn't want to switch components around. Again to each their own and cool to see somebody has some experience with them that enjoys it.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It just wasn't for me. But also for the style of my play it's not needed. It was just a bummer for the model of guitar I was looking at and didn't want to switch components around. Again to each their own and cool to see somebody has some experience with them that enjoys it.

Wdym? Isn't it pull/push? What's the diff if you don't use it?

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Reverse headstocks.

OK. Not exactly new, but I went there.

Thank goodness someone said it. Can't help but notice this got like no traction here though because this shit is still all the craze. On some guitars I don't mind it but for the love of god, keep it off of the fucking Jackson's. It's the musical instrument equivalent of a broken bone jutting out whenever I see it and it usually ruins whatever interest I have in what would be an otherwise good looking guitar. Can it be trendy to hate this trend now? Can we move on to that era already?

Headless guitars with a Strandberg-Boden-like body shape.
Even though that extra cutout is a good idea (if well designed), and even though i generally love headless guitars.

Was just thinking this the other day. Like damn man, I liked the Boden when it first came out and it felt like they were trying to be innovative, but there's been so many companies that have tried to hop on this train with similar shapes or blatant knock-offs that it's just ridiculous (Ormsby, GOC, etc). Can we get back to trying to innovate the instrument and not just ripping each other off? I may not be an Aristides fan boy but at least they're trying to do something original.

Shit man, maybe it's time to just hang up the guitar. The era of the prog-metal banjo bands needs to begin.

Last edited:

Naxxpipe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank goodness someone said it. Can't help but notice this got like no traction here though because this shit is still all the craze. On some guitars I don't mind it but for the love of god, keep it off of the fucking Jackson's. It's the musical instrument equivalent of a broken bone jutting out whenever I see it and it usually ruins whatever interest I have in what would be an otherwise good looking guitar. Can it be trendy to hate this trend now? Can we move on to that era already?

Boooooooooooooooo :D

I yearn for a future where all Jacksons have ONLY correct, i.e. reversed, headstocks!

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have never, at any time, liked relics. For me they were played out the minute I saw one. Idk why, and I know it’s just me. It’s just weird to me that I’d pay for something to be made really nice, and then pay extra to make it not nice anymore.

The only good relic is the one that comes from hundreds of hours of blood, sweat, and tears. So, so many tears.

Everything...I'm sick of all of it.

Fishmans
SS Frets
Evertunes
BKPs
Extended scales
Burled tops
Ash tops with the sandblast
Headless
Those retarded bevels that show the woodgrain
The SUPER fucking ugly ergo looking guitars that look like a ditto having a stroke
Tremolos

Was just wondering about you the other day, glad to see you still kickin' around. Great list.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Nah, sandblasted ash tops like the Loomis models look rad, and as long as you mean vintage tremolos and not Floyds then you're fine; 2-point trems are this shitty middle ground of not being a Floyd and also not being a hardtail.